midi newbie: how to use keyboard controller, plug-ins, etc?

Author
fendorst
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
2007/01/04 15:08:24 (permalink)

midi newbie: how to use keyboard controller, plug-ins, etc?

I use GT Pro on a Windows XP machine.

M-Audio makes a 61-key midi controller. The manual says I simply plug it into the USB2.0 jack on the computer and that's all there is to it.

Regarding how to make it play something: I want to play piano and organ sounds, possibly strings. I assume I get some VST plug-ins of those sounds and load them into my VST file. Then open the plug-in in the effects bin on whatever channel I assign to the keyboard controller. Play the keyboard, and the piano, organ or strings sounds are heard and can be recorded. Correct so far?

I want a variety of piano and organ sounds, such as grand piano, tack piano, honky tonk piano, etc., and pipe organ, B3, farfisa, etc. Do I need a VST plug-in for each separate sound, or does someone make a single multi-voice VST which will give me a variety of piano and organ sounds?

I also posted this query in the Instruments forum, sorry for the redundancy. Thanks in advance for your reply.

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: midi newbie: how to use keyboard controller, plug-ins, etc? 2007/01/04 15:13:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fendorst

I use GT Pro on a Windows XP machine.

The first thing you will need is a different DAW. GTPro does not do MIDI so a MIDI controller will do you no good.
    fendorst
    RE: midi newbie: how to use keyboard controller, plug-ins, etc? 2007/01/04 15:21:24 (permalink)
    Very nice. I appreciate (but hate) your reply.

Regardless of the fact that I can't do any of what I asked, can you briefly shed some light on my questions so I at least know how it's supposed to work? Thanks!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: midi newbie: how to use keyboard controller, plug-ins, etc? 2007/01/04 15:28:31 (permalink)
    sure, I was going to expand on it but you beat me to a reply (did not mean to be so brief)

A midi controller would drive a soft synth. A soft synth is the software equivalent of a hardware synthesizer. To play a soft synth you would create a MIDI track using the keyboard controller and route the MIDI track to an audio track which would host the soft synth (a VSTi or DXi).

Your assessment of the tech is correct.

Just like hardware, soft synths that play piano will have different piano presents, ditto with other instruments. Romplers such as Dimension Pro have presets for a variety of different instruments (pianos, organs, drums, strings) and depending on your requirements, that may be all that you need.

Some synths can play a variety of instruments at the same time but mostly you will track each instrument separately just like they were real instruments.
    post edited by scook - 2007/01/04 16:04:56
    fendorst
    RE: midi newbie: how to use keyboard controller, plug-ins, etc? 2007/01/04 15:53:36 (permalink)
    Got it, enough for now since I can't do anything about it at the moment. Back to using hardware keyboards for the foreseeable future. Much obliged for your time and insight.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1