I'm About To Have A Breakdown! Mic/Preamp help needed Please!

Author
Xfusion
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2007/01/05 19:58:14 (permalink)

I'm About To Have A Breakdown! Mic/Preamp help needed Please!

I recently bought a Studio Projects C1 mic and the Studio Projects VTB1 mic preamp to go with it and I am missing something.

I've got the one end of the 3-pin cable that came with the mic plugged into the mic and the other end plugged into the back of the preamp where it says "Mic In". I've got the AC adapter that came with the preamp plugged into 12VAC power-in jack.

Here's the problem- Neither the mic or amp came with a chord to plug into my sound card (I have a built in Audio Blaster- don't laugh, it will do for now!). So my question is, what the hell kind of chord(s) do I need now? On the back of my preamp, I have 3 empty openings: a Balanced Out (it's a 3-pin), a Line Out, and and Insert opening that says Tip=Send, Ring=Return under it. Does anyone have a clue what kind of chord I need now to get it connected to my computer?

Thanks for any help anyone can give- I'm new to all of this and right when I think I'm getting somewhere, I run into something else that holds me up! It doesn't help that the 'instructions' that came with the mic and preamp were jokes. All I want to do is to record vocals finally!

3 Replies Related Threads

Duojet
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1413
    RE: I'm About To Have A Breakdown! Mic/Preamp help needed Please! 2007/01/05 20:11:38 (permalink)
    audio blaster probably doesnt have a balanced input, so just use the line out. if your jack is 1/8" get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable. plug the 1/8" end into your soundcard. theyre easy to find at music stores or radioshack.

Intel Core2Duo e8400
    Abit IP35-E
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit
    EMU 1820m

DFHS2, BFD2, Battery3, Amplitube2, GuitarRig3, Kontakt4, Ampeg SVX, Line6 PodXT
    Xfusion
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: I'm About To Have A Breakdown! Mic/Preamp help needed Please! 2007/01/05 20:24:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Duojet

audio blaster probably doesnt have a balanced input, so just use the line out. if your jack is 1/8" get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable. plug the 1/8" end into your soundcard. theyre easy to find at music stores or radioshack.

Thank you SO much for your help! I'll be going to the store tomorrow to get one!

Just one more question- what is this male/female/mono/stereo stuff that I keep seeing as I'm looking up cables? If I go to Radio Shack and tell them that I need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable to connect my sound card to my preamp, will they know what I'm talking about? Also, could I go to Best Buy or Circuit City as well?
    post edited by Xfusion - 2007/01/05 21:16:51
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: I'm About To Have A Breakdown! Mic/Preamp help needed Please! 2007/01/05 22:26:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Xfusion

ORIGINAL: Duojet

Thank you SO much for your help! I'll be going to the store tomorrow to get one!

Just one more question- what is this male/female/mono/stereo stuff that I keep seeing as I'm looking up cables? If I go to Radio Shack and tell them that I need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable to connect my sound card to my preamp, will they know what I'm talking about? Also, could I go to Best Buy or Circuit City as well?

Best Buy or Circuit City might have one but Radio Shack is a sure thing, they WILL have it. However, your line input on the sound card will be stereo and the output of the mic preamp is mono. So it would be best to get a Y cord for the sound card so you can send the output of the preamp to only one side at a time. So the best thing to get would be a Y cord with 1/8" stereo on one end and any kind of connector on the two mono ends as long as they have an adapter to get to 1/4" for it. For example you could get a Y cable with one 1/8" stereo and RCA male on the two mono ends like you would use to connect a CD player to the sound card. Then just get a RCA female to 1/4" mono plug adapter for one of the ends of the Y. In fact you may as well buy two in case you ever need them.

Or if they have it just get 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" mono.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1