MIDI Cabling

Author
madittenber
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2007/01/05 22:27:54 (permalink)

MIDI Cabling

Anyone here good with MIDI cabling?

I am trying to hookup two pieces of gear to my computer using one set of MIDI in/out cables and am missing something I think.

Here is what I have.

Computer IN/OUT

Fantom X Keyboard with MIDI IN/OUT/THROUGH

Boss GS-10 IN/OUT

I need to be able to send and receive information from both devices to my computer. Can it be done or is there a good resource for this? I haven't found what I am looking for yet.

Thanks
Mark

3 Replies Related Threads

mwd
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: MIDI Cabling 2007/01/05 22:50:10 (permalink)
    Sending from your computer (if it has one set of in/outs) to both devices would be simple enough.

Computer out >Device 1 In>Device 1 Thru>Device 2

However, since you need to go both directions to one computer input you might need something like a midi patch bay.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: MIDI Cabling 2007/01/05 22:50:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: madittenber

Anyone here good with MIDI cabling?

I am trying to hookup two pieces of gear to my computer using one set of MIDI in/out cables and am missing something I think.

Here is what I have.

Computer IN/OUT

Fantom X Keyboard with MIDI IN/OUT/THROUGH

Boss GS-10 IN/OUT

I need to be able to send and receive information from both devices to my computer. Can it be done or is there a good resource for this? I haven't found what I am looking for yet.

Thanks
    Mark

I'm going to assume you need all 16 channels on both and if you do it would be best to have a midi interface with 2 in 2 out. However, if the GS-10 can use USB then you can use that for the GS-10 and use your midi ports for the Fantom X.

MIDI is one way only so you need both cables hooked up to be able to send (record into the computer) and receive (playback) midi on the Fantom X.
    madittenber
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: MIDI Cabling 2007/01/06 00:27:44 (permalink)
    Thank you both. I can go USB with the GS-10 but I don't keep it next to my computer and I can run a longer MIDI cable compared to USB. I think I will look at investing in a MIDI interface for more IO. That way I'll have something for expansion in the future.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1