Considering Drum Mic Packages...

Author
fixerman
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 386
2007/01/06 07:08:26 (permalink)

Considering Drum Mic Packages...

I am considering adding drum mics to my inventory. Does any one have an opinion on these...
CAD Premium 7-piece Mic Pack. #271264
Audix Triangle Mic Package (AUI Tri-Pac)
Samson DP8 Mic Package (8 pieces)
Shure PG Series Mic Package. (4 piece)

7 Replies Related Threads

MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/06 17:47:25 (permalink)
    I have the Samson 7 mic package. The guy at Sweewater said they sounded better than the budget Shure set but weren't built as sturdy. They sound ok with some judicial use of eq. The Samsons have plastic bodies and come with plastic clips to attach the mics to the snare and toms so you don't have to use mic stands. They should hold up to light home studio use.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/06 21:40:03 (permalink)
    I have the Samson 7 plus three more, and to be honest, I only like them for practicing with headphones. I have been recording with them for a bout a year, and as I can afford, I am replacing them with Audix D series. I started replacing the Samson snare mic with the Audix i-5. What a difference. It totally opens up the snare and brings it through in the mix. The other drawback I personally find with the Samsons is their inability to reject. I don't recall their pattern, but all of my tom mics bleed like crazy. The kick mic, however, sounds suprisingly good, and may be the last one I replace.

Sorry to be negative, but I just haven't been super impressed with the Samsons in recording situations.

Tom Battaglia
    Nederland, CO
    fixerman
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/07 02:50:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input you guys. Really appreciated it. So I think I'll pass on the Samsons. Now does any one have any experiences with the CAD Mics? The 7 piece looks good to me but I'm seriously thinking maybe the Audix might be a better purchase.
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/07 09:24:11 (permalink)
    i've used the CAD set a few times for live sound, the stubby dynamic mic in that pack sounds GREAT on tight snare drums. the mini condensers are decent overheads. the kick mic i'm not too sure about though, it may have been the crappy kick drum i was micing up.

The Poodle Chews It.

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/07 20:16:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fixerman

Thanks for the input you guys. Really appreciated it. So I think I'll pass on the Samsons. Now does any one have any experiences with the CAD Mics? The 7 piece looks good to me but I'm seriously thinking maybe the Audix might be a better purchase.

The CAD drum mics sound surprisingly good.
    We use them live... and have made some live recordings with them...
    As a point of reference, I wouldn't choose the CADs over a combo like D112, MD421, C414...
    But, the CAD pak is about the cost of one MD421... LOL
    FWIW, I used to take out the more expensive mics mentioned above... but now I'm more than happy to use the CADs live. The crowd can't tell the difference... and I don't have to worry about my expensive mics getting destroyed/stolen.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/08 00:08:25 (permalink)
    Shure SM57s on the snare and the toms, a Beta 91 and Beta 52 inside and on the kick, and a pair of KSM 109s and you're set.
    This is the bottom end, and you really do get what you pay for. With careful positioning, this combo will yield excellent results. PM me if you need help or want to hear a sample.

D

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    fixerman
    RE: Considering Drum Mic Packages... 2007/01/08 23:52:52 (permalink)
    I just found what I think is a pretty good deal at Musicians Friend. The Audix Fusion Series 4-piece Drum Microphones. It has three F10 snare & tom mics and one F12 kick mic. It is only $199.00. I figured I use these for the bottoms and the Behringer C2 pair for the over heads. Should be on my door step in a couple of days. If they are not as good as they say they are then I'll use them to mike the guitar cabs and bass cabs. Later on I'll save up for the Shures.
    These mics won't be seeing the stage for now, just mainly for recording purposes. Thanks again for all your help and replies.
    post edited by fixerman - 2007/01/09 00:17:02
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1