New computer?

Author
rillianx15
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2007/01/08 13:32:31 (permalink)

New computer?

Hello all and Happy New Year,

I am going to buy a new computer at the end of the month and need some input on a killer system to buy. I will use the computer for Sonar 6 Producer and for Video, DVD and Graphics Production. I am not planning to play games on the system. This will be my computer for creative purposes not gaming.

I generally use PCs but have used Macs at the printing company I worked for. The printing company personnel and a tech friend of mine suggested to go with Mac for anything to do with creative stuff. The PC is geared more for office stuff.

What system, sound card, video card, firewire (internal or external), ram, processor (AMD/Intel Dual Core)/Quad ?), bit size to use, hard-drives (1 or 2) etc., would be the best system for my use.

I use electronic drums and keyboards for midi and will have guitar audio added. I also use a ton of soft synths. I am looking to spend around $2,0000.00.

I also use Moto Ethno and Symphonic Instruments (Music Creation), Vue 5 (Graphic), Motion Artist 3 (Flash Movie Maker) Poser 6 (Human/Animal Figure Design) , Roxio MyDVD Premier software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

B.O.B

5 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: New computer? 2007/01/08 14:03:41 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

I'd suggest defining your end goals... and working backwords to help choose your PC and audio interface.
    Unless you specifically want to run an app that's available only for a Mac (ie: Logic or Digital Performer), there's no need to go that route.
    (I assume that's not the case, or you probably wouldn't be here on the Cakewalk forums.)
    FWIW, The PC is quite capable/reliable at this point... and you get a lot more speed for your $$$...
    If you're looking to run Sonar v6 (good choice in my opinion), I'd suggest the following computer system:

-Intel Core2Duo E6600
    -Asus P5B-E
    -2GB Corsaire DDR2/800MHz
    -Geforce 6200TC 128MB
    -250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDs (16MB cache)
    -320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDs (16MB cache)
    -Antec Sonata II case (450w PS/quiet)
    -Sony 18x DVD/RW

This dual core system is a proven performer as a DAW... and won't break the bank.
    It packs plenty of speed to run all the latest generation soft-synths and plugins...

As for the audio interface, how many tracks are you looking to record simultaneously???
    If you're simply doing overdubs one at a time, a simple interface with stereo I/O would suffice (less than $200).
    If you'd like to be able to track drums, pickup an 8 channel unit (Presonus Firepod, Presonus Firestation, Focusrite Saffire Pro, etc ~$500-$700).
    If your needs are more extensive (tracking full bands simultaneously), there are options like the Motu 24i... that provide 24 channels of I/O (~$1500).

No matter what your end goal, there's a scalable/appropriate solution on the PC.
    Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    rillianx15
    RE: New computer? 2007/01/08 17:50:24 (permalink)
    Hello Jim and thanks for the reply.

My recording needs right now are not to record full bands or acoustic drum kits. I write using my electronic drums and keyboards and add friends on guitar, violin or other instruments (individually). So I would only need 1 channel in but may need to expand some day. Maybe a 4 or 8 I/O device would be better for me though.

Thanks again for the input. I was going to wait for Vista but some of my friends say to hold off until proven.

God bless.

Bob

B.O.B
    rillianx15
    RE: New computer? 2007/01/10 04:46:32 (permalink)
    I went with the ProSonus Firebox with 4/I. Seems to work great with the VST Plug ins but I have to turn the latency down in Sonar to hear myself playing on time but I lose the sound quality of the VST Instrument though. I have the Firebox latency set to 10.0 ms and the Sonar I turn all the way down for real time playing. I haven't figured out the proper latency between the two to get the best response.

When I try to load My Motu Ethnic or Symphonic VST instruments my Sonar will shut down then I have to re-boot to get Sonar to play again.

One day at a time.

God bless.

Bob

B.O.B
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: New computer? 2007/01/12 19:00:14 (permalink)
    I have a variation of Jim's setup, and I can't say enough good things about it... I really can't:

Windows XP Pro (32-bit) - Legit Retail Version off EBay $140
    Antec P150 Case $120 (260)
    Asus P5B Deluxe MB $210 (470)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 $220 (690)
    G. Skill DDR2 800MHz CAS4 "HZ" Memory, 2x1GB $240 (930)
    Sapphire x550 $50 (980)
    WD 7200 RPM System Drive & "normal" files $100 (1080)
    WD Raptor HD for Samples $100 (1180)
    Maxtor 7200 RPM for Audio $120 (1300)
    Seagate 7200 RPM for Video $160 (1460)
    EMU 1616M PCI Audio Interface $400 (1860)

I used a MOTU 828 Mk1 before the EMU...

It's a silly fast system, and quite stable...
    At 3ms latency, 24-bit/48KHz, I can do things like:
    4 instances of Sylus RMX
    2 instances of Proteus X2
    2 instances of DimPro
    2 instances of Rapture
    2 instances of z3ta+
    6-10 audio tracks for outboard recording & acid loops
    Per track EQ across the board
    4-6 busses with various effects, including some of the heavier ones

And... barely hit 50% CPU with no dropouts...
    The Gary ADK Sonar Test gave me 55% at 3ms, with both the FW 828 and the PCI EMU.

I actually created a stress test that more adequately resembles what I do than the ADK test:
    2 instances of every instrument plugin I had (with some heavy patches that I'd actually use... 3rd party, and sonar/project5 included), per track eq across the board (overkill, I wouldn't do it this way in real life), multiple audio tracks with effects, and multiple busses with effects across the board and I FINALLY got some clicks...
    Bumped the latency to 4 or 5ms, and they went away.

I LOVE it... it's changed my life.
    Get one.

Take care,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2007/01/12 19:24:59
    funkman21
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: New computer? 2007/01/16 23:18:39 (permalink)
    Yes, get an Antec P180 case, they are awesome. Also a Intel dual core system will give you the best performance for the money right now.
    I would suggest balancing your funds between RAM and the CPU, be reasonable with both but get at least 2GB or RAM if youre going to use lots of VST's as you stated.
    As for interface Its really preferance for manufactorer. Focusrite are relitively new on the consumer market and their safire range it excellent, the new 8 In rack firewire interface is great. I would stick away from PCI now, it doesnt really offer anything that USB or firewire cant and takes up precious space in your PC.

Finally if you get the option keep things simple. If you dont need the internet on your new pc dont have it...dont ever connect it. This means (if youre careful with transfering files on USB stick etc) you wont have to run virus software constantly in the background. Also do some research on the net as to how to maximise the performance of your pc. There are some very quick and simple things you can do to get everly last bit of CPU power out of your PC...such as using windows classic view instead of XP look.

Good Luck

keith
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1