Rex files and RXP

Author
rjt
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1017
2007/01/15 00:07:37 (permalink)

Rex files and RXP

Sorry, I skipped from Sonar 4 to Sonar 6 and fear my learning curve is pretty steep. I looked in the Sonar 6 Pro help file and did a search in this Instruments forum for Rex, but with no real luck. I was wondering where there is info on using Rex files and the RXP softsynth (I never used Reason.) I do have some Rex loops, but they are on a different hard drive and when I click "Groove Browser" they don't show up and I have to surf to them using the load function. Also, where would I find info about using the RXP player to follow the tempo of the songs (like Acid loops do etc.) In short, I hope someone can point me to the right place for info.

I am just exploring Rex and wonder if it has any advantages over Acid loops... or if it is just another format... but my big question is how do I find info on the RXP??

TIA

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

9 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 01:47:32 (permalink)
    Yea, REX files are cooler than acid files. You can "play" the sections/segments whatever you call the "bits" within a REX file with your midi keyboard. Or you can play the entire file like an acid file.

If the RXP player is in focus you shoudl be able to hit the F1 key and bring up the help info. You can also browse to the RXP player file (it should be in C://programs/Cakewalk/Shared DXI or somewhere like that) and open the help file that way. as I recall, there isn't too much info, but every little bit helps.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    rjt
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 09:55:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.... going to check it out now. I like your Avatar.
    Take care

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 11:02:35 (permalink)
    Ray, I thought surely that you has been buried by the unusual early winter in the NW.

It's been awhile; I don't know if you have Dimension Pro or not, but there's some information in that help file (1.2 update) about Rex files. While it's specific to DP, I found it easier to understand by opening up the XXX Loops .sfz files and seeing the structure of a similar mapping. If you have DP, it makes for a nice alternate player. You can drag out the slices to MIDI, and use the mod wheel to reverse slice direction.
    rjt
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 12:15:27 (permalink)
    Actually it just got cold here.... been pretty nice so far.

b rock--Thanks for the info. I looked up the RXP using F1 and think it is "somewhat" similar to using Stylus. I don't have Dimension Pro. Oddly, I have decided to try to trim down what I use.... being a software junkie (ex-junkie) I bought just everything....sometimes just played a bit and forgot it. I still have way, way, way too much stuff in my synth and efx lists, but it is smaller than it used to be and I am doing more reading and experimenting. Also ordered the book on making sounds with the Sonar synths which should help.

Take care down there... enjoy the warm weather!
    Take care

superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 12:38:12 (permalink)
    Hey rjt,

Here's a great article from Sound on Sound that's really helped me understand the inner workings of the REX player. I hope it helps you too!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/articles/sonartech.htm
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 13:36:01 (permalink)
    That is a very good guide. My fave RXP capability is the graphical drag/drog for groove slices. It´s really fun :)

-René
    rjt
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 13:47:22 (permalink)
    Superdan 54. Thanks, I get SOS and had downloaded that article.... amazing (well not really considering my advanced age!!) I forgot about it. Will read it ASAP.

Take care

jonespnice1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 17:44:53 (permalink)
    Yea, REX files are cooler than acid files. You can "play" the sections/segments whatever you call the "bits" within a REX file with your midi keyboard. Or you can play the entire file like an acid file.

Actually you can do the same with acid files, cyclone is cakewalks answer to the rex player. The advantage the rex player has is that it has a filter and editability, cyclone's advantage is it has 16 midi channels and you can set the range of each hit across the keyboard and also it has 16 outputs for additional processing. Actually I like cyclone better but rex files are easier to create (using recycle).
    rjt
    RE: Rex files and RXP 2007/01/15 19:07:54 (permalink)
    Well between reading the SOS article again and the help file, think I have a lot more info. It does sound a lot like Stylus RMX. I have also played with Cyclone a bit. Will keep messing around. I spent most of today rooting out a midi problem and narrowed it down to a bad cord or a bad input.... will work more on it later... for now... back to the piano!

Take care and thanks for everyone for their help. I look forward to exploring rex files.

ps I am amazed and grateful for the help shown here on the ol Cakewalk boards. Thanks to everyone!
    post edited by rjt - 2007/01/15 19:28:43

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1