Tempo and compression

Author
GGD
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/01/22 15:32:35 (permalink)

Tempo and compression

i have few questions about compression, how does track tempo effects compression settings? , if track is 120bpm some rules must be on compression, if its faster or lower, different story again, what are these rules?
:)

6 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Tempo and compression 2007/01/22 15:46:15 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. I've never heard of any relationship between a song's tempo and compression settings.

Although, I suppose, one could argue that in certain cases, you would adjust a compressor in such a way that it didn't cause pumping or breathing. Or maybe you are trying to make a kick drum or bass guitar sit in the mix better. I don't know. I'm not sure how that necessarily applies to tempo per se. In some wierd roundabout way perhaps there is a relationship.

Anyone else?

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Tempo and compression 2007/01/22 15:53:37 (permalink)
    The compressor's attack and release settings should be set so that the compression is appropriate to the duration of the notes and rests and to the way the music pulses. It is not that the compression needs to be set a certain way for a certain bpm, it's that the compressor affects the envelope shape of the notes and can alter the apparent duration, impact, and sense of being in the "pocket."

This was a recent thread that dealt with some basics on mixing and effects, including compression:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=914228

Cheers.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Tempo and compression 2007/01/22 18:49:02 (permalink)
    the rules are to listen closely to what your compression settings are doing as you tweak them. compression can heavily affect articulation and tone or be just a transparent peak limiter. you can use "bad" compression settings to make cool effects, the acoustic man's pumping is the electronica man's groove, and so on.

as a general guide for transparent compression you want your attack and release settings to be close to the average note in length, say an 8th note or 16th note or something like that, with a healthy attack time to let the transient through and shorter release time to make sure you don't hack down the next note. watch your gain reduction meter and adjust your threshold and see what the differences are. acoustic guitar is a great instrument to practice with.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Sonar71
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Tempo and compression 2007/02/02 04:03:03 (permalink)
    The attack has very little at all to do with the song tempo and should be set by ear.
    The release is directly related to the tempo because you normally want your compressor to return to normal by the next beat.

A good way to set this release ( this can't always work but mostly does ) is to mute all tracks but the snare for example.

Temporarily, make the compressor ratio very heavy so you can hear clearly what the compressor is doing. Also, exagerate the threshold setting, again temorarily.

Open the release fully.

While playing back the snare track, reduce the compressor release until each hit is compressed but the compressor returns to normal BEFORE the next snare hit. You are looking for the palce which gives you maximum range of movement on the gain reduction meter. This should now be bouncing around with the beat.

REMEMBER, this is only to find a good release setting.

Now dial in the ratio you want. Adjust the attack by ear (this bit is easy, choose where it sounds best) Normally you would want the transients to get through.

Now adjust the threshold until you get the sound you want but make sure that the gain reduction meter shows no gain reduction at a least one point in the track.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Tempo and compression 2007/02/03 15:43:59 (permalink)
    just to clarify, what i meant by setting attack and release to note length was that you have to consider the length of the attack you choose when setting the release length, if you aren't doing it by ear.

- jack the ex-cynic
    fanzzz
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Tempo and compression 2007/02/10 03:11:19 (permalink)
    Hey Sonar,

Do you think this is the best method of going through on the compressor?

I usually just typed in some preset recommendations, which I see now will rarely work and the maybe move the threshold somewhere or gain.

When you say open the release fully-you mean like max it out right? Yes, I gotcha.

Would you do the same on snare as on vocals?

People usually don't want transients on vocals or unless a certain style of music or effect?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1