Ups for Native Instruments

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2007/02/01 06:28:04 (permalink)

Ups for Native Instruments

I've read a good deal of NI bashing on various forums. Statements like their customer service sucks, etc... Although I haven't actually pulled Battery 3 (my first NI purchase) up in one of my sequencers, I've installed it and read the manual. I must say this company seems very attentive to detail in the little niceties they include to enhance usability. And this whole NI Service Center idea I think is fantastic. An online registry that keeps track of what you have, what you need, and offers resources to enhance your productivity with the product. No wonder their products are so popular. So far they get an "A" in how they've communicated with me via the easy installation, well-written and thorough hard-copy documentation, and modern methods of registration and product validation.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

15 Replies Related Threads

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/01 10:41:10 (permalink)
    well-written and thorough hard-copy documentation

You should see the documentation on Reaktor (how good are your math skills)
    Nick P
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/01 17:04:21 (permalink)
    Well, without having seen it, Reaktor is a super-deep piece of software. If you are looking for a bunch of great presets out of the box, that might not be your first choice. As long as they cover the basics in a way a beginner can understand, let them throw the math at me. But again, I haven't seen the manual, so your point may be that it is overly-complicated and hard to understand for a beginner.

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/02 06:25:58 (permalink)
    Well, there are few manuals for Reaktor, the main one being over 450 pages. Full of stuff like,

• A: Hybrid input for signal A to be divided by B. Typ. Range: [ 0 ...
    100 ].
    • B: Hybrid input for signal B used for dividing A. B is normally an
    integer, but doesn’t have to be.Typ. Range: [ 1 ... 100 ].
    • Div: Hybrid output for the integer division of A and B. This is the largest
    integer smaller than or equal to A/B. Typ. Range: [ 0 ... 100 ].
    • Mod: Hybrid output for the modulo of A and B. This is the remainder of
    the integer division of A and B. Range: [ 0 ... B ].

And, so on, with far more complex math in another tut that I can't find now for some reason. But, there is a demo (I think) of Reaktor if you want to check it out.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/03 20:17:19 (permalink)
    I must admit I quite like the Service Centre. I think its a good idea , Ive had no problems getting things activated. However as you know with my own experience with NI , the flip side of the coin is that if you actually have cause to speak to Native Instruments then you might as well speak with a brick wall , in fact you at least hear an echo from a brick wall, you tend to hear nothing from Native Instruments.

Now imagine that your nice new Battery 3 disc decides to go the way of the dodo because of a fault and your 200 USD has now been wasted and nobody at NI will talk with you about it. Then sing Native Instruments praises , because this is exactly what happened to me with Battery 2 and a disc that decided to have its coating melt on me on its 2nd installation. Something that hasnt happened with my 30 or so other discs and I reinstall my system 2 or 3 times a month. They have not returned any emails since before October and the few times I spoke with them on the phone I get offered a new disc at about 40 ukl (nearly half the price of the upgrade to battery 3).

Couple this with the fact that when I originally ordered Battery 3 it was 2 days before the NI-versary sale and when I spoke with NI about returning it under distance selling law and re-ordering for half the price and was told that I couldnt do this, only to read on a forum 2 months later them telling someone else that is exactly what they should have done. I also had a voucher upgrade that they promised me half price upgrade to Absynth 4, which I tried to use and was not allowed to.

So not only do they avoid you when you have a problem, they lie and cheat as well just to make sure they get top dollar from you. Not a sign of a good company. Go check the forums ,and you find that anyone who is trying to contact them is pretty much getting blanked, its not just me.
    Nick P
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/03 20:53:49 (permalink)
    Not to defend NI or anything, but I kind of look at contact with any software company as iffy at best. We live in a world of the user-forum. That's where I look for answers. I sent Cakewalk some e-mails about Sonar user issues and got no reply. On the other hand, a defective DVD as you mentioned should be replaced immediately. That's a drag. Luckily I got Battery 3 installed, so that takes care of that part. Also, I look at price as secondary in comparison to features. Whether I got Battery 3 for $200 or $150 even, wouldn't matter much to me. In the long run it's very little difference.

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/04 05:47:44 (permalink)
    Thanks to Nick and syrath for sharing their experiences with NI.
    It's VERY useful for others.

I don't have any NI software, so I have no experience to share, other than this:
    I make my decisions as to what to buy based on the perceived quality/stability of the product and it's price ratio, the quality of the company and it's treatment of customers, and the copy protection scheme being used. The first two being nearly equally important, with the last one being more flexible.

That said, I've bent a few times in the past, most notably with Cubase, which had both a bad reputation in brand name (Steinberg), and a dongle (though I have Logic Pro also, so if the quality and stability of the product is good enough, I'll override my convictions occasionally).

The experience learned with Steinberg has taught me one thing VERY well: If the brand/company seems questionable, then avoid... it's entirely possible, or even likely, that if so many others have been burned, you will too... eventually.

That lesson has led me to the realization that despite occasional good things being said about NI, I've heard FAR too many complaints than praises about the company, and mixed reviews about the stability and support of the products... it's cost them a customer of at least two of their products.
    Bum deal too, as I really would like to have both Absynth and Battery.

I'm sure there are more, but there are three companies on my don't touch list now that make good to excellent products... if they improved, I'd be all over them... Steinberg, Waves, and NI.
    Steinberg will never learn... but I'm still watching Waves and NI.

Nick, keep posting your experiences, since I've seen companies improve before, so perhaps NI is waking up a bit and taking customers more seriously.
    We'll see.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2007/02/04 06:08:22
    Nick P
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/04 06:57:10 (permalink)
    The thing is that Battery is sort of a unique product. So if you want what it does you have to bite the bullet and go for it. There may be other similar products, but none that have the depth in programming that Battery seems to have.

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/04 10:24:28 (permalink)
    I havent been able to check out the full product , but Im very impressed with Addictive Drums from xln audio. Its a 180 MB demo download if you want to try it out. It kind of straddles the divide between Battery and EZDrummer. Its not as inflexible as EZ and has a similar depth of programming to Battery. It doesnt have the kits of battery however, but its quite possible with editing FX/EQ etc to program the sounds you want. Im really impressed that much with it I would trade my Stylus RMX and my Battery 2 license to get the cash to go get it.
    sjr
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/08 23:08:06 (permalink)
    I'm fast becoming an NI fan. I have Massive, B4 II, and FM8. I can't report about customer service because I have not needed help.

From what I have read, their 1.0 releases can be a little fragile but they seem to get a patch out soon after a new release.

I agree with Nick P that NI seems "very attentive to detail in the little niceties they include to enhance usability".

Even though I said I am becoming an NI fan, I think brand loyalty is unwise and arguments about a brand are a waste of energy. I bought and returned Absynth because I didn't like it. You just have to use what works for you.

I'm glad there are so many companies competing in the soft synth arena. They are all pushing each other to make better products. We all win as a result.
    post edited by sjr - 2007/02/08 23:34:12
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/09 19:56:37 (permalink)
    I have several NI products (I had the original B4, before it supported VST, for example, as well as K2, Kompakt and GPO).

But Cakewalk's support is FAR superior, and the registration more friendly. And Cakewalk has Rene

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    holymoly
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/09 22:50:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick P

The thing is that Battery is sort of a unique product. So if you want what it does you have to bite the bullet and go for it. There may be other similar products, but none that have the depth in programming that Battery seems to have.

Actually.....Battery is alot like Fxpansion's DR-008 and Linplug RMIV, so as far as I can see...it's not all that "unique". Stylus RMX, on the other hand....which I have/use....IS unique and the reputation of Spectrasonics is miles ahead of what NI is known for. Over the years, I've been eye-balling a few NI products and although the products on a whole get an "ok" rap....the negatives on the lack of support far outweigh any positives they have. They ain't the only kids on the block eventhough they may think they are.

We have to remember that there are alot of music software companies out there - just go to KVR and look at the VST database....an incredible amount of tools at our disposal. So I would think that in order to differentiate yourself from a competitor, it not only comes down to the quality of the product, but the after-sale support and service as well and unfortunately I see a number of companies falling back on this part of their business and I think that is a grave mistake that will eventually catch up to them. Take for example EastWest....a big supporter of the Kontakt/Kompakt line....have put resources, time and money to develop their own interface. Why?? Probably because they were sick of dealing with the lack of support from NI, so they probably said "fine...f^$k you, we'll build our own!"....and that's what they did. Obviously, that doesn't look good for NI esp. since practically all of their instruments were Kontakt/Kompakt based.

Anyway....I haven't followed any NI support related threads in about a year, but it was pretty bad then, so I'm not surprised to see folks still saying their support sucks big time.

What's this topic got to do with Cakewalk anyhow?? This should be moved over to KVR.

So far so good with Cakewalk, though....ALTHOUGH! every email I get from them is about upgrading to SONAR!!! Cakewalk Staff - I do not own Sonar, I own Dimension Pro ONLY. If you want to email me....email me special offers to buy Rapture, Z3TA, P5 or even Sonar......but not Sonar Jr 2 Sr upgrade offers all the time!
    post edited by holymoly - 2007/02/09 23:25:29
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/11 08:10:18 (permalink)
    I own Komplete 4 and Massive and have been an NI customer for many years. Their customer service has been all over the map. Sometimes it is so terrible I have been blown away by it and literally threatened them that I will never buy another NI product. And then sometimes they have really come through and made up for their erroneous ways. As for *consistency* of customer service they truly and utterly STINK. However, I have to say that when they get things right, boy do the get things right. Recently they have been BLASTED for their terrible issues with Kore and Komplete Kare customers but they have made some outstanding amends with the Komplete Kare customers, for example, and I've been able to "forgive" them and move on. The NI Service Center was also a good example... when Komplete 4 shipped so many people were trying to use it that NI's servers got slammed and there was a lot of frustration and downtime. All that has been resolved and now things work just fine. The list stretches back for years.

Basically, this is how I feel about them: They are a company that has grown too fast and during that growth they have not managed it well. But there's a reason why they have grown so fast, and that is that they release really impressive and visionary products, with very few duds. I use them to one degree or another in all of my productions and they are an essential part of my studio. They have brought incredible frustration, but also incredible thrills for the great sound palette that I have access to, in part because of them. The whole industry owes them a debt of gratitude since they have been helping to drive the competition like crazy. If you can live with the lows, the highs are worth the journey.
    TechLo
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/16 22:55:15 (permalink)
    So have you tinkered with Battery 3 now and found that it doesn't work for most people with Sonar? Inexplicable cpu spikes cause the samples to cut off early, and their's no way to disable voice-killing, unlike in Kontakt 2. I've been an NI user for many years -- I prefer their synths (reaktor, fm8, absynth etc.) over their sampling vsts - I've had problems with both battery and kontakt.
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/02/17 11:57:21 (permalink)
    I haven't tested Battery 3 in Sonar yet... I'm a new Sonar 6 user and haven't needed to use Battery in it yet. But Battery 3 was fine in all the other apps I use(d) like Cubase SX3 and 4 (now I no longer use Steinberg products!). Also seems to have been okay in Live 6... nothing out of the ordinary. I'll see if I can try it out soon.
    jlgrimes
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1639
    RE: Ups for Native Instruments 2007/03/08 11:50:26 (permalink)
    I've read a good deal of NI bashing on various forums.

I think Bugs is the main issue.

The stable ones like Battery, Pro 53, B4, Electric and Acoustic Piano are plain amazing though. Reaktor is even suprisingly stable for a program of its size.

Kontakt 2 was a nightmare for me though. It had a bug that would crash Sonar if it couldn''t find a sample. The worse thing was it took like 7 months or so for them to come out with a fix for it.

Absynth also has its quirks.

I like the service center too but NI's copy protection scheme is right at the point of being intrusive. It is basically as close to a dongle you can get.

As far as support they don't compare to Cakewalk synths at all. But to be fair NI has like 10 or so synths while Cake only has a few.

But I can imagine it being a nightmare having to support that much software.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1