Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo

Author
KW
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/02/04 13:19:37 (permalink)

Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo

I'm trying to burn the *.wav file (saved at rate 44100 & 16 bits) to a CD-R and it will play fine on a computer but I can't get it to READ or PLAY on a home stereo system or in the car CD player. What's the secret to getting it to play in a system other than on computer?

I've burned through Windows XP on the media player and also on Sonic but have had no luck with either type burn. I'm sure it's something quite simple but I can't find any more information that would lead me to my mistake in burning and getting the desired results.

Any help is appreciated!

25 Replies Related Threads

Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 13:49:47 (permalink)

Most CD players can not read wav files. So if you're burning the music onto a CD as a wav file that might be your problem. Make sure you set the preferences in your burning software so that it is setup to burn in a CD music format. Also make sure that the CD disk is finalized upon completion or it won't play on other CD players. Hope this helps.
    Pete

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 15:25:32 (permalink)
    The wabbitt has spoken....shhhh be vewy quiet...hehehehe

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    pantherhawk27263
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 15:35:00 (permalink)
    Some players can't read .wav's and some can't read CD-R's as well. I use Real Player, my son uses Windows Media Player and we have both burned CD's that play on on CD players from .wav files from MC3. Check to make sure your player can read CD-R's.

"Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not truth, truth is not beauty, beauty is not love, love is not music. Music is the BEST!"
    Frank Zappa - "Packard Goose" from "Joe's Garage"
    KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 15:41:30 (permalink)
    P. Rabbit -
    Thanks for your input on this! And what you are saying is correct........

I have learned (the hard way - and after 4 CD's) that you don't burn the actual *.wav file in order to play the CD in a home or car stereo. The correct file to burn for this is the *.wma file (Windows Media file). And the burn will convert it to the correct PCM format necessary for home or car stereos cd players.

I'm feeling kind of "duh" about this but everything that I have read in many articles on the subject talks about the *.wav file so I'm wondering why I'm exporting this file in the first place. It's typically a very hugh file, takes time to export and just takes up storage space.....so........ I'll be exporting only the *.wma & *.mp3 files from here on because that's the only ones that are of use for my purposes.

So.....hopefully.....anyone reading this particular topic will save themselves a little aggrevation and wasted CD's by following the above procedure and burning the *.wma file for this type of application. I thought that my mistake was something fairly easy to correct and as it turns out.....it was!

Thanks again!

Beagle
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 16:04:38 (permalink)
    Well, I wouldn't call exporting to WAVE a waste of resources, tho. WAVE is the best format, no compression. yes, it takes up a lot of space, but it's the best format. and you CAN burn wave files to a CD as long as you burn them as a MUSIC CD like Peter said.

If you use WMA, you will loose a little of SOMETHING in the song as compared to WAVE.

Just my 2cents....maybe 3.

KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 16:51:36 (permalink)
    Beagle -

I did exactly as you said in regards to burning the CD's as a music CD.......all 4 attempts! But no cigar. All of these were with trying to burn the *.wav files. The only way that I could get 'em to burn where they would play on anything besides the computer is by burning the *.wma file. I cannot explain this and it still haves me baffled. But after burning them this way, I've played them on 3 different stereos and they work fine.......and that's all I can ask for. The ones that were burned from the *.wav file won't play on anything but my computer...........go figure!

I'm sure the *.wav files have value....just not for anything that I'm doing with my recordings. Most radio stations want MP3 files so that is a file format that I can use. And for burning CD's on my system, the *.wma files are working great. So now, I suppose I can look for a purpose for the *.wav files........

Thank to all for all of your help......it is greatly appreciated.

Peter Rabbit
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1305
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/04 20:49:25 (permalink)
    Actually, the Beagster is correct. A wav file will provide much better quality in sound than a wma file. So when exporting out of Cakewalk you should export as a wav file and then convert that wav file into a cda file when burning to disk. Not all CD players will play wma files either and if you give a copy of your music to someone else they may not be able to play it on thier CD player.

I think what you're probably doing is trying to burn the file onto CD while you have your burner prefs set to burn a "data" file instead of a "music" file. Usually if you set your burner to burn to a disk in a music format it gives you the options of choosing either CD or MP3 formats. For example if I want to burn a wma file onto a disk I have to burn it as a data file instead of a music file.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that you want to play your music on CD players and you want your music to have the highest quality sound possible. To do this you should export the Cakewalk file as a wav file and then burn your music with your burner's prefs set to music CD format which is a cda file instead of an mp3 or wma. This is going to give you a much better sounding final product and after all the work you put into your music you want it to sound as good as you can make it sound.

Anyway hope this helps.
    Pete
    post edited by Peter Rabbit - 2007/02/04 21:14:24

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 00:52:15 (permalink)
    The wabbit and the Dawg are correct on this issue. comercial Cds are burnt in a format called redbook standard. Raw wave files are very close to that format, but what really matters is that the session is closed so that it will play in Cd players and not just computer format. Programs like Window media player and the like were originally designed to be just that players for the computer. burning was a plug in, and if you do not have the correct settings it will not properly close the session. I use things like nero, or easy CD maker, these were originally burners and rippers for CD format. One of the best is CD architect from Sony it burns to redbook standard, as does sound forge and even magix studio.

WMA and MP3 are compressed formats and are for either streaming from a webstire or digital transfer, and are not the best format for perminate storage as some of the valuable wave file is lost in the compression process.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 07:32:13 (permalink)
    Again - I appreciate the help on this. I agree with all in regards to the *.wav being the desired file to burn. I've gone back to both programs in which I am able to burn with and have read, re-read and read again in regards to the settings necessary that have been mentioned.....but still am not able to burn the *.wav file sucessfully to where it will play in anything other than my computer. Why is something so easy become such a major issue???

I think I will check in to a stand alone CD burning software that will allow me to use the *.wav file for burning. I'll look in to the ones mentioned by Robomusic......any other recommendations for this?

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 08:25:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KW

any other recommendations for this?

CW would recommend Pyro, their product.
    I use the aforementioned CD Architect.
    Nero and Roxio also make popular CD Audio buring software.
    I would expect there are freeware solutions out there if one wanted to search the web for CD audio burning software.
    KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 10:29:38 (permalink)
    Will the included Pyro (that comes in the boxed version of MC3) take care of my problem? Will it allow me to burn the *.wav file to a music CD capable of playin in all stereo systems?

Sorry to be a pain here.......just trying to accomplish what everyone is recommending..........

Thanks!

scook
    Forum Host
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 10:33:13 (permalink)

Will the included Pyro (that comes in the boxed version of MC3) take care of my problem? Will it allow me to burn the *.wav file to a music CD capable of playin in all stereo systems?

yes
    KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 10:42:25 (permalink)
    Thanks scook! I'll give it a go using Pyro this evening. That's one software that I didn't try........

Beagle
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/05 11:57:04 (permalink)
    Ken,
    I got your PM and tried to reply, but something must be wrong with the forum because it wouldn't let me reply.

No hard feelings at all - I just read it as your being frustrated and didn't take it personally! Good luck! I think you'll probably be able to get it to work with Pyro.

KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/06 10:04:09 (permalink)
    Beagle - Great!

I may have resolved a part of my problem burning the wav files. I bought some "music cd-r's" (duh) and used my Sonic burner software and was able to burn the wav file. The CD played through 2 of the 3 stereo systems that I have........can't figure out why it wouldn't play through the one...........but this is a definite improvement over my previous attempts.

The CW Pyro (1.5 version) that comes stock with the MC3 software is basically garbage. I, like so many others, got the "error 91" message when opening the software up. After reading the other posts on this site in regards to this error and the inability of getting rid of the error, I said screw it and dismissed it as an alternate burner. I can't figure out why it is even included in the boxed set of software as it is not functional. So I'm still considering (and searching) other music burner software to add to my collection of programs for the studio. I would like to get 3 out of 3 to play through my systems.......

scook
    Forum Host
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/06 10:16:26 (permalink)
    Any quality CD-R should be fine. The brand that carries a lot of weight here is Taiyo Yuden. If you cannot find them locally here is a source http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/ but again, any quality CD-R should work. The only ones that I have ever had trouble with are Memorex but I also never buy cheap noname or house brands.

Try to find another CD burner and copy the CD that you just made on it. See if it will work in the player that has trouble. It may be that the player just has trouble with recordable media or that it just won't work with your burner.
    KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/06 10:48:08 (permalink)
    scook -
    So......are you saying that I do not have to purchase CD's that are labled specifically Music CD-R....? The ones that I purchased were specifically labeled as Music CD-R and are Sony's in a 30 pack at Staples. Please excuse my ignorance here.........

After checking the link to the Taiyo-Yuden CD's that you've mentioned, they seem to be very reasonably priced and available. So I will definitely keep these in mind when ordering new blank CD's. Thanks for the tip! Also.....out of curiosity......the TY cd's say that they are printable on ink jet printers. And maybe this is a dumb question but what type of printer would be used in this type of application?

I should have mentioned in my last post that the Sonic burner software that I used has the "red book" option in burning and I used this option when burning the CD that worked in 2 of the 3 systems. So I must be on the right track here. I'm looking at the Sony CD Architect software that you mentioned and am considering it. But I haven't taken the time to check in to the others available yet. I would prefer to get something that is going to give me quality repro CD's and am regarding this as an investment as opposed to an expense.

Thanks again for all the help!

scook
    Forum Host
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/06 11:21:18 (permalink)

scook -
    So......are you saying that I do not have to purchase CD's that are labled specifically Music CD-R....?

what type of printer would be used in this type of application?

I'm looking at the Sony CD Architect software that you mentioned and am considering it.

I have not bought "music" CD-Rs in a long time.

check this thread about CD printing and labels
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=917101

CDA is a great product. My copy of CDA was bundled with SoundForge 8. It is not cheap but the work very well together.

Congratulations, it sounds like you have made a lot of progress.
    KW
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/06 11:59:25 (permalink)
    Thanks!
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/06 22:45:50 (permalink)
    I used to read "Stereo Review" magazine, now called "Sound and Vision". In the early days of home CD burning on the computer, their tests showed that a great number of CDs they made would only play on about half the players they tried. I got better over the years, but even today you will sometimes make a CD that just won't play on all players.
    There are printers you can buy which has a CD drawer to print a label on the disk. Check out the BB and CC flyers in the paper this Sunday.
    My computer, and maybe yours, too, if it's pretty new, has a feature called 'Lightscribe', which uses a laser to burn label info right into the disk. It takes a special CD, but they're not too much more expensive than the regular CD-Rs.
    If you use an audio CD recorder, you must use an audio CD-R, or -RW. In a computer, you can use an audio CD-R, or data CD-R, but if you want the CD to play on most CD players, you must use 16 bit, 44.1kHz format.
    Greg
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2007/02/07 22:51:40

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    fanzzz
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/07 22:17:48 (permalink)
    KW,

I hate that crap also man. Windows media player is horrible to use or you can't use it for burning wav. files, from what I know. I've tried and ended up wasting so many dang CD's!

The problem is WMP will convert the files and if you want to send it out for mastering I am pretty certain you don't want to send a .cda file to someone. That's a joke. You can't even send a cda. file over email to someone, unlike a wma. or mp3, which you can.

I just used Roxio CD burner today, which came with my Dell computer and burned some songs transfered/exported from Cakewalk to wav. file. Not sure how much it costs online. I would think professional mastering places and duplicating places would put your files in "Redbook" format.

I'm not that good with some of this, but yeah WMP sucks on that. Avoid it. If you are just making a CD for someone to listen to and already have your files mastered well and convereted to MP3 or wma in WMP, then fine.

There might be a free CD burner online somewhere that will burn your wav. files as is. Then try to burn at low speed-like only 2X or is that just a myth? Supposedly you'll have less possible errors than burning at high speeds...
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/07 22:40:17 (permalink)
    WMA and MP3 are compressed audio formats, good for emailing or packing more songs on a CD, but with a loss in audio quality (which I can't tell, being slightly deaf). If your CD player can't play these compressed formats, and many don't, then the CD won't play. If you want your CDs to play on almost every CD player in the western world, use the CD standard 16 bit, 44.1 kHz.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/07 22:40:42 (permalink)
    KW,
    If you have a CD burner, you should already have some kind if in-house burning software that doesn't involve WMP. Check your program files.
    fanzz,
    You can attach MP3's or wma. file to an email because they are relatively small. Cda and wav files are very large, high bitrate files that exceed the limits on email attachments. They can be transferred using alternate methods. If you send something to be mastered, they will most likely insist on the high resolution wav files, or you will be wasting their time with something they just cant work with.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    fanzzz
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/08 21:12:08 (permalink)
    yeah-that's what I thought-that you would want to send your wav. files for mastering, as it's the full song, not some rinky dinky mp3 song! :) Though they could master an MP3 also, it just seems a waste not to send your song full strength.

I actually thought cda. files looked really small, like smaller than anything, but maybe I misread it. I don't know why Windows does that stuff. And why they don't just leave it as wav. or mp3 or wma.. Maybe it does if you burn a data.. or not.
    Beagle
    RE: Burn To CD But Won't Read CD In A Stereo 2007/02/08 21:58:17 (permalink)
    Though they could master an MP3 also, it just seems a waste not to send your song full strength.

Advice: Any mastering engineer who tells you to send him an MP3 to master you should RUN AWAY FROM. No true mastering house will ask for MP3's. They will want wave files ONLY.

I actually thought cda. files looked really small, like smaller than anything, but maybe I misread it. I don't know why Windows does that stuff.

When you view the properties of a CDA file in windows it's only going to be 1k in size. That's because it's just a map of the songfile that is on the disk and it's hidden.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1