RCA audio connector question

Author
switchdoc
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 89
2007/02/05 00:19:16 (permalink)

RCA audio connector question

Hi all, Switchdoc again with yet another inane question :)

My dgx-205 has only out audio output, which is used for either headphones (large stereo sized ones, not the mini ones you see on PCs) or audio out. My PC has 1 RCA style digital in, and one RCA style digital out.

So, being the genius that I am I figured I needed a headphone to RCA cable. Also, again due to all the geniusness, I realized I had a box full of computer/tv/stereo cables which I promptly proceeded to rummage through.

Let me tell you golks something. After a careful inventory, I am fairly certain I have every cable connector known to man. Need to connect your IPOD to a 1987 JohnDeere lawn mower? I got that. Want to wire your digital camera to your stereo and output it through your mouse pad? I got that too. I have connectors that, quite frankly, I don't know where they came from or what they do. Yep, every cable in the galaxy. But not this one.

What I DO have is a headphone jack to TWO RCA input cables which I assumed are designed to go into the left and right slots on a stereo way cooler than mine. My question is, if I use this cable and only plug in one end, leaving the other to dangle uselessly in the wind, whats going to happen?

Will it:

A) Not work at all
B) Work but not give me stereo sound
C) Detonate upon connection, putting a crater in the floor and significantly raising my renters insurance premiums

Now, I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, DUDE, option C would be REALLY cool to see from a safe distance. You are also thinking, why doesn't this idiot just plug it in and see what happens?

Well, there are two answers to that question:

1) I haven't even tried to record and audio track yet (I just figured out MIDI 2 days ago and it took Beagle and half a pack of camel lights to get that far) so I probably wouldn't know whether it was working to begin with. Well, to be more clear, I wouldn't know if it wasn't working because of the cable or because I don't know what the heck I am doing.

2) That connector is on the back of my PC, which is in the PC cabinet of my desk, which is in turn engulfed in a morass of wires the likes of which brings even seasoned PC technicians to tears upon seeing it. Think of computer wiring via chaos theory. The area behind my desk exists in a no-man's land where no zip-tie dares to tread. Bottom line is, I ain't going in there without a straight answer to this question and some type of safety harness.

So.. thoughts? :)

-Switch

28 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 01:09:08 (permalink)
    There should be on a lappy three jacks a pink one and a blue and green one each, these are line in mike in and line outEach will have icons next to them to tell them apart. find the Blue one i beleive, it should be the line in as the green is line out to speakers, and pink is the mike jack and all should be great.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 10:52:28 (permalink)
    Heyas Robo, thanks for the reply.

This is actually a desktop unit. It does have a regular 'line-in' port but I figured the digital input would be a better choice. The problem is finding a connector that works correctly going from teh headphone style port on my keyboard to the RCA style port on the PC. My concern with the cable I found is that it splits off into two which leads me to suspect if I just plug in one end of it, I'll get mono not stereo audio.

-Switch
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:10:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: switchdoc

It does have a regular 'line-in' port but I figured the digital input would be a better choice. The problem is finding a connector that works correctly going from teh headphone style port on my keyboard to the RCA style port on the PC.

The RCA digital input cannot accept an analog audio signal, do not try it. Use the line-in for audio input.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF
    post edited by scook - 2007/02/05 11:33:03
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:13:16 (permalink)
    Okay, I am confused :)

Why would the port labled digital input on my PC be an RCA style port if you can't use it for that purpose? I MUST be missing something. This happens often with me. What am I missing here?
    scook
    Forum Host
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:19:29 (permalink)

Okay, I am confused :)

Why would the port labled digital input on my PC be an RCA style port if you can't use it for that purpose? I MUST be missing something. This happens often with me. What am I missing here?

You can as long as the signal going in and out of the RCA ports is an S/PDIF digital signal. From the info in this thread, it looked like you are trying to use the RCA ports for analog I/O and that will not work.
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:24:15 (permalink)
    I think the issue here is I don't know the difference between analog I/O and S/PDIF. Is it a safe bet to assume anything coming out of the keyboard's Audio Out is analog and not digital?

-Switch

scook
    Forum Host
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:28:14 (permalink)

Is it a safe bet to assume anything coming out of the keyboard's Audio Out is analog and not digital?

Yes, if it were digital it could not drive a set of standard headphones or an amp. Digital audio outs are pretty clearly marked as digital or S/PDIF to avoid the confusion with the analog RCA jacks found on home stereo gear.
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:31:41 (permalink)
    AH!!

The lightbulb comes on, you just have to flick the switch a few times with me :)

So, just out of curiosity, what type of devices would I use with those digital in and out ports on that PC? And am I correct in assume there are devices that take analog input and turn it into digital output to send to those ports? And is there some kind of benefit to doing this?

I appreciate all your replies, I'm getting quite the education here :)

-Switch
    scook
    Forum Host
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 11:34:55 (permalink)
    So, just out of curiosity, what type of devices would I use with those digital in and out ports on that PC?

read the wiki link above

edit: I'll just add one more thing. A reason for using digital-digital connections would be to avoid unnecessary conversions between digital to analog signals and back. Ideally this would result in better quality sound.
    post edited by scook - 2007/02/05 12:07:17
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 12:23:47 (permalink)
    Yeah, that makes sense. I did read the article, my confusion stemmed from the fact that it seemed weird to me that a digital keyboard wouldn't come with this connector so I assummed I was missing something. I mean why use analog when you don't have to expecially on a device like a digital keyboard.

I would guess higher end keyboards probably have this type of connector out of the box perhaps... the DGX-205 is nice but its definitely not something you'd see Elton John using in concert :)

-Switch

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 14:12:54 (permalink)
    No, probably not. SPDIF is used mainly, as scook said, to transfer digital data between devices like tape recorders, processors, etc. And it really is not used that much in the home studio world anyway.

Digital out from your keyboad is done via MIDI. Since MIDI is so powerful and can be translated into any sound, I don't know of any keyboards (I could be wrong) that has SPDIF I/O on them. You use MIDI to get data from your keyboard into the computer and then you can use that MIDI data to trigger other synths or sounds with it. OR, if you like the sounds that the DGX makes, you can translate that MIDI into AUDIO from your keyboard sounds by routing AUDIO cables from the keyboard back into the sound card and then triggering the synth module in your hardware (keyboard) to send audio back to MC via AUDIO cables and the sound card.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    scook
    Forum Host
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 14:26:41 (permalink)
    You might see S/PDIF connections in home studios between things like mixers and audio interfaces, cascading interfaces or adding something like a Line 6 pod to an audio interface.
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 14:31:55 (permalink)
    Its obvious the disconnect here is that I have a lot to learn about using MIDI and audio.

Thanks for all the info guys. Any of you live in colorado and want to come up for a few hours and learn me? I'll buy the beer :)
    scook
    Forum Host
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 14:37:35 (permalink)
    The offer is tempting, Beagle in Dallas is a little closer; I am a little further south in Houston.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 14:55:58 (permalink)
    Where in Colorado?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 15:44:26 (permalink)
    Heyas Robertb!

I am in the denver metro area. Lafayette technically (nearish to Boulder but far enough away that I don't have to wear hemp sandels). You from the area?

-Switch

[edit] Duh, Brighton is right under you name lol. Happy to meet another Coloradoan on here!
    post edited by switchdoc - 2007/02/05 16:12:10
    RobertB
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/05 23:26:59 (permalink)
    That's a 25 minute sprint down Highway 7, almost door to door.
    Shoot me an email.
    Ah. the Independent Republic of Boulder, where you can burn a sofa on your porch, but you can't smoke cigarettes in front of your house.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/06 00:11:14 (permalink)
    Can you smoke your hemp sandals in the yard while watching your couch burn on the porch in this republic?

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    RobertB
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/06 00:22:19 (permalink)
    As long as you don't Bogart your sandals, it's fine.
    post edited by RobertB - 2007/02/06 00:43:30

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    meadowman
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/06 17:00:08 (permalink)
    Cram an old sofa full of your smoking material, set on fire and inhale...

meadowman

'My mixing produces mixed results'

http://www.youtube.com/meadowman2007
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/06 17:22:07 (permalink)
    "Yes, I'd like a pack of camel lights and that recliner over there.... Oh, and I'll need a lighter too..."

Greek2Me
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/13 23:23:55 (permalink)
    Switch:

It looks like people LOTS smarter than me have solved your problem, but I just wanted to tell you that your original post (and subsequent responses) brought a well needed round of laughter at the end of a exhausting day! It's great to have a forum like this where we can all profess our ignorance, vent frustration via sarcasm/humor and get such terrific technical advice in return. Thanks, forum!!!

RMc
    RobertB
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/13 23:39:08 (permalink)
    That opening post was pretty funny, Rog. I had a mental image of Tim Taylor with the Christmas lights.
    Have to agree this is a 4-star forum.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    switchdoc
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/14 00:23:23 (permalink)
    Heyas Greek!

I am glad my incompetance brought joy to your day :)

I have to agree with you 100 percent, this forum is top notch. Everytime I post I get quality responses from quality folks.

Jumping into something brand new like this can be daunting, and I think I'd have packed my keyboard with C4, taped my copy of Music Creator to it, and blown them both into tiny pieces by now if it hadn't been for all the help I've gotten here. Not to mention the fact I would have had to undo some seriously screwed up wiring first.

I know when Robertb comes up here the first thing he's going to say is "Okay, lets see what you've got here", followed by "Um... you DO know thats a toaster, not a mixer board, right?"

All that aside, I really do hope that the day comes where I see someone new post a question here and *I* am the guy saying: "Well, what you've got to do is connect your Positronic Acutator into the Synth Wave Output Matrix and then compile it using the QDS driver. It's all in tutorial 11."

-Switch

The more I read these forums, the more my head hurts.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/14 08:39:43 (permalink)
    and I think I'd have packed my keyboard with C4
    Hey, man, where'd you score the C4?

Well, what you've got to do is connect your Positronic Acutator into the Synth Wave Output Matrix and then compile it using the QDS driver.
    NO, NO, NO!! That will NEVER work!!! You can't connect a Positronic Acutator into the Synth Wave Output Matrix! It's polarized for the Flux Capacitor's Input Wave Generator! You plug the Arbitrary Waveform Modulator into the Synth Wave Output Matrix and make sure that the inputs of the Matrix are Cold Fusion reactor compatible or BOY will you have a mess on your hands!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/15 22:21:26 (permalink)
    And whatever else you do, don't touch the blue button while the Arbitrary Waveform Modulator is syncing up with the Neutron Generator!
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/15 22:54:24 (permalink)
    If you send the Arbitrary Waveform Modulator output to a buss, it works well. Don't go over 80% though, or the Neutron Generator will inplode, causing some nasty feedback.

PS, Rog, is that you? Not sure if you are getting my email replies. Check your Spam filter. I may be getting dumped there.
    post edited by RobertB - 2007/02/15 23:56:15

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    RobertB
    RE: RCA audio connector question 2007/02/18 23:26:50 (permalink)
    Well guys,
    It was a real pleasure to meet a fellow Cakewalk user in person. We covered a lot of ground in a few hours.
    And I got some hands-on experience with a new piece of hardware(the Lexicon Omega). It's too bad we are scattered so far, as I would like to meet many of you.
    ps: Paul, I left my hat on your tv. Take good care of it. It's my favorite. I'll have to remember to grab it next time we hook up.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1