using compression and reverb

Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2007/02/07 18:01:38 (permalink)

using compression and reverb

Hi all !
I really want my productions to start sounding louder and brighter !.Is it wise to use compression on all tracks,or just the ones I want to be at the front ?
Same question about reverb really.Should all the tracks be rooted to just one effect reverb send,or should there be mutiple reverbs ?Ie a short reverb for the drums and percussion for example,and a long reverb say for stings / pads and the like ?
I know much of this could be just down to personal taste..all the same it would be nice to hear what differant people think !!
Thanks,
kev
PS If you want to know what style context I,m talking about,I,m referring to dance.You can check out one of my songs on the song page if you like...nudge nudge wink wink
MODAL.

16 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/07 19:10:18 (permalink)
    Use what ever sounds good for your song...

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/09 11:55:17 (permalink)
    I think it's a good idea to listen to the type of music you want to produce or mix and analyze how they did it. You can incorporate some of those things into your music or use variations to create your own style.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/09 12:40:26 (permalink)
    This fledgling at recording takes this approach: try anything; if you like it, keep it; if you don't like it , discard it. I don't think all tracks need compression, but I'll try it and see. If it doesn't improve the sound, I get rid of it, which is what CJ is saying. I tend to avoid reverb mostly, and use it very sparingly, as I think it can muddy a mix. JMHO.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    trident fan
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/09 13:00:24 (permalink)
    using lite to moderate compression is one of the most basic ways to get a quality recording. if you don't use compression the track will have too much dynamic range and won't sit in the mix properly. this is why u can't here the vocals at some points in unskilled recordings. one second the vocal is too loud, the next it is too soft. compression allows u to track a signal with more consistent overall amplitude. a steadier signal so to speak. record a vocal to a boom box. listen to how the volume goes up and down wildly, this is largely because of a lack of compression. there are other factors, of course, with the boombox, including wow and flutter, but it's still a worthwhile illustration.
    as far as reverb, u r usually better off if the lead vocal doesn't have to share it's reverb with other instruments. u lose quality, because u r splitting your dsp.also, it's harder to tune it to exactly the sound u want just for the vocal. in other words, the most appropriate decay, delay diffusion, etc, settings appropriate for the vocals.
    regards,
    TF
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/09 14:48:34 (permalink)
    I tend to use compression most of the time. The ammount depends on what sounds better. As far as reverb goes, I use it mainly on vocals. On instruments and drums, I use it for ambience. It's not enough to notice per se but it's there but when muted, you miss it.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/09 16:15:38 (permalink)
    "as far as reverb, u r usually better off if the lead vocal doesn't have to share it's reverb with other instruments. u lose quality, because u r splitting your dsp."

Huh?
    MBP Studios
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/21 12:13:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: themidiroom

I tend to use compression most of the time. The ammount depends on what sounds better. As far as reverb goes, I use it mainly on vocals. On instruments and drums, I use it for ambience. It's not enough to notice per se but it's there but when muted, you miss it.

Agreed. The best reverb sound is when you mix it so you can't hear it when its there, but if you disable it, it sounds bad.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/21 20:43:37 (permalink)
    with compression and reverb i always try to start small and work my way up. then a/b with and without to see what the difference is. reverb and compression are too easy to abuse.

- jack the ex-cynic
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/21 22:23:32 (permalink)
    Compression is a big topic. Run a search. It's a big topic.

Reverb advice:

In the real world, you never actually hear reverb unless you're in a cathedral or a parking garage or something. But it's always there, and it conveys a huge amount of subconscious information about the kind of space you're in. TRy to use artifical reverb in a similar subliminal way.

Time reverb decays to suit the tempo and rythmic feel of the song. Reverb tails have a big effect on the percieved density and duration of notes. Play with the way the track feels.

As a default, engange any high- or low-damping features of the reverb. If the reverb doesn't come with such features, consider bandwidth-limiting the send to reverb. Rarely are very high or very low frequencies improved by reverb.

As a starting point, use low densities and predelay of 40ms or more to maintain clarity. (Clarity is not always a good thing, BTW).

Use chamber or room reverbs as your default settings. Use plate reverbs for shimmery but sibilant vocals and leads. Use spring reverbs to sound old and twangy. Use cathedral or hall reverbs for big special effects like the haunted children's chorus or the toms that conquered the world.

Cheers.
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/22 08:55:08 (permalink)

i find some degree of compression always necesary on gutiars, vocals, and bass.
    drums and keyboards may or may not.

When i record with a mic, the room ambience is often all the reverb i need. If I send everything to one reverb, to make it sound like everything is in the same room, I use very little reverb, like 5% or less, it is very easy to over power with too much.

Sounds i want up front i EQ to pump up the sound, and don't add any more reverb. To send something to the back i cut the highs and add another delay or reverb, tailored to the effect you want, then pan it left or right.

I really want my productions to start sounding louder and brighter

Remember the EQ will do a lot for you along these lines combined with the comprssion and reverb.

thats my 2 cents for what its worth
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/22 16:57:54 (permalink)
    Remember the EQ will do a lot for you along these lines combined with the compression and reverb

Although a lot less experienced, I gotta agree with kayehl: EQ first, compression and reverb second.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/22 17:43:31 (permalink)
    I'll pitch my 2 cents here, as well, regarding the ordering of these. In the most complete / complex case:

Pre-compression eq - remove what you don't want the compressor to work on: roll off the low end and high end if it's not of interest; maybe dip some in between. For example bass: HPF at 40 (or so), there's a lot of energy at 190Hz, so dip some there, then LPF at 3k to 8kHz.

Compression - as required

Post-compression eq - this is where the tone shaping happens; for example, if you want a little boost for the high end of a vocal for some crispness / presence.

Send to a reverb, mix it in subtly as yep was saying.

You need to whatch out for compression following reverb, since it will pull up the reverb tail and that can get both overwhelming and annoyingly metallic sounding.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2007/02/22 18:06:19
    CJaysMusic
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/22 19:37:55 (permalink)
    I love these kind of threads. I always like to see what and how other engineers/musicians process effects.

CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    CJaysMusic
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/22 19:42:14 (permalink)
    I always use reverbs on a bus for vocals and guitars and i set it to 100 percent wet and 0 percent dry. i think most people do it that way.
    Onother thing i do for vocals to get them to stand out, in conjunction with compression i send it to a buss with a flanger on it and i just get it to ware you dont know its on it, but like the other poster said, if you take it out. you will miss it. I can go on and on but im at work.

CJ

Audio Blog
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/22 20:27:20 (permalink)
    To make guitars fuller I like to clone the guitar track and set the pan of each track about 30% left and right repectively. I reverb one track and offset its timing by a few miliseconds and turn its volume about half of the original track.

When the decay of a note on the main guitar track fades, you hear nice overtones coming slightly behind on the other track opposite in the stereo field. Gives alot of presence.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: using compression and reverb 2007/02/23 14:31:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

Use chamber or room reverbs as your default settings.

As a side-ways note, there are some pretty good impulse repsonses included on the freebie DVD with this month's 'Computer Music' magazine. The rooms that come bundled with Perfect Space are good, but of course, it's always nice to have a variety to choose from. I also recently found a set of IR's over at noisevault.com for a 40' X 60' studio that are well worth checking out... for that "big room" sound.

Hmmm.... I wonded how much we'd have to bribe somebody to get IR's from EMI Abbey Road Studios 1 & 2?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1