Spreading the word

Author
rcross
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
2007/02/08 00:21:05 (permalink)

Spreading the word

I was thinking the other day about why we do not see P5 on pages of Computer Music or Sound on Sound. And then it hit me - it is my fault!

OK, maybe not entirely mine, Cake's marketing dept should take some flak too, but my point is - nothing prevents me from writing quesions to CM (Focus and Help sections) with P5 in mind. Every month there are bunch of people asking questions, and there is at least one about Reason. At least one about cubease/live/logic. Not a single one about P5. Who's keeping me from asking?

That's right - I am writing to them and my quesion is going to end "...using Proejct 5?"

If anyone wants to write too, here are where to:
- cmfocus@futurenet.co.uk for specific, to the point questions about, sort of "how do I make this beat in this?"
- cmhelp@futurenet.co.uk for more general questions, kind of like "what if I...?"

--rC--

22 Replies Related Threads

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/08 00:28:36 (permalink)
    We probably know more than them too, but I'll give it a shot.

I bet they'll give that 2.5 upgrade a test drive when it comes out.

I have authentic analog drum machine samples.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/08 19:38:27 (permalink)
    At the expense of others, and Cakewalk's coffers....

I prefer to keep this my lil secret.
    syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/08 20:20:36 (permalink)
    Are you keeping secrets Greg, go you know you can PM/email me.
    jmeier
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 12:55:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

At the expense of others, and Cakewalk's coffers....

I prefer to keep this my lil secret.

i think you're doing a remarkable job of it.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 16:06:52 (permalink)
    I agree with DA on this.
    P5 should only be available to us and our friends/connections keeping a strict non disclosure agreement signed in blood.
    We are the cream of the crop, the elite subculture Cakewalk knights. We shall rule the world.

Slowly but surely......we drew our plans against them.

Ognis
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 16:22:08 (permalink)
    I found out about it
    naughtyhill
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 16:27:32 (permalink)
    DAMN DAMN DAMN !!!!!!!

syrath
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 16:28:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

I found out about it

You were one of the unlucky ones.
    Ognis
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 16:31:38 (permalink)
    lol
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 21:15:28 (permalink)
    I found out about it

Everyone is chosen for a reason

have a good one
    3Eo
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 23:13:16 (permalink)
    Ognis, yes, you were one of the lucky ones. The others we had to kill.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/13 23:47:50 (permalink)
    I hate to be on the other side of this, but I feel more users = more support from Cakewalk. I welcome everyone to Project5 as often as I can...especially to the "I'm sick of FL/Reason" crowd over at futureproducers. I think it's workflow is great and a few more tweaks to it and a few more ahemdarksideahem type features added, it could be a moster application...even moreso than it already is.

However, until Brandon Ryan or whoever learns to use that camcorder they got on Project5 tutorials instead of (or at least in addition to) 64 bit presentations and crap like that and show people how the damn thing works...it'll stay in the background. Back when I was a hardware guy, I remember it took us over a year at www.mvnation.com to get Mike Acosta to start making MV-8000 tutorial videos...as soon as he did, sales went up...go figure.
    DayDrumFour
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/14 00:39:33 (permalink)
    As long as we believe our stuff is better, we don't mind being rare.

And I'm proud to be guilty!

syrath
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/14 03:23:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trusty

I hate to be on the other side of this, but I feel more users = more support from Cakewalk. I welcome everyone to Project5 as often as I can...especially to the "I'm sick of FL/Reason" crowd over at futureproducers. I think it's workflow is great and a few more tweaks to it and a few more ahemdarksideahem type features added, it could be a moster application...even moreso than it already is.

However, until Brandon Ryan or whoever learns to use that camcorder they got on Project5 tutorials instead of (or at least in addition to) 64 bit presentations and crap like that and show people how the damn thing works...it'll stay in the background. Back when I was a hardware guy, I remember it took us over a year at www.mvnation.com to get Mike Acosta to start making MV-8000 tutorial videos...as soon as he did, sales went up...go figure.

There will be a tutorial DVD released for it after the 2.5 update. As well as being able to view it over the internet. It will be released by www.swavideo.com. Im the one making it.

post edited by syrath - 2007/02/14 05:01:22
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/14 20:56:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trusty

I agree. Tutorials/Videos/Hard Copy Books are pathetically under-supplied. Nothing against the guys that have posted them (D.A., Syrath, B Rock, et. al). But really there is no comprehensive, step-by-step method for going from zero to sixty with P5, like there is with Sonar. There is no "Project 5 Power" or "Project 5 Ignite" books and there should be.

You guys half-seriously, half-jokingly talk about P5 being kept "your little secret". But how does that benefit anyone, including yourselves? Do you expect Cakewalk to keep investing hundreds of costly man-hours in development with no prospect of increased sales? Were it to remain "your little secret", eventually the whole product would be jettisoned.

What we want instead is Project 5 v 3, 4, ...etc. In order for that to happen, sales must increase. In order for sales to increase, the word must get out. The days of P5 being your niche, private-club, anti-Sonar playground are over. P5 needs to go mainstream in order for Cakewalk to continue prioritizing it. Look how quick Sonar updates happen versus how slow P5 updates happen. That can only be due to sales.

So let's welcome new users, Sonar users who have taken advantage of upgrade offers, and all other interested parties. Who cares if the whole world has P5? It has nothing to do with creativity and the work one produces. That has nothing to do with what software tool a person uses.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    DayDrumFour
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/14 21:43:39 (permalink)
    P5 is not that hard to figure out completely. Especially with so few updates over the years. We should know everything there is by now.
    As for new customers, there are a lot of factors that have been pointed out before.

three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/15 00:19:03 (permalink)
    Do you expect Cakewalk to keep investing hundreds of costly man-hours in development with no prospect of increased sales?

We're the tax write-off

have a good one
    3Eo
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/15 10:47:32 (permalink)
    Without updates, upgrades there is no reason for the press to cover P5. Working in the world of the press and advertising (gee, I feel so dirty inside now that I've admitted it - prehaps I should enter a 12 step program except I need the money), I know that you need something to fill the maw of the beast every month. That is one of the reasons there is an update for the major DAWs every year - the money and the press. When you don't update your product for coming on 2 years (and that is a .5) you''re not going to stir any interest and out of sight = out of mind. Fruity Loops, being another 2nd tier DAW, faces the same problem. P5 got a good jump out of the gate, and P5v2 got lots of press, too, but nothing sustained.

Hopefully, this will change w/ P5v2, tho it won't get any reviews etc. until it jumps to P5v3 (I don't think I've ever seen a .5 review, and reviews are why I buy music tech mags).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    naughtyhill
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/15 11:30:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick P

IYou guys half-seriously, half-jokingly talk about P5 being kept "your little secret".

I'm not half seriously or joking.

post edited by naughtyhill - 2007/02/15 11:51:54

syrath
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/15 11:33:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P
    I agree. Tutorials/Videos/Hard Copy Books are pathetically under-supplied. Nothing against the guys that have posted them (D.A., Syrath, B Rock, et. al). But really there is no comprehensive, step-by-step method for going from zero to sixty with P5, like there is with Sonar. There is no "Project 5 Power" or "Project 5 Ignite" books and there should be.

You guys half-seriously, half-jokingly talk about P5 being kept "your little secret". But how does that benefit anyone, including yourselves? Do you expect Cakewalk to keep investing hundreds of costly man-hours in development with no prospect of increased sales? Were it to remain "your little secret", eventually the whole product would be jettisoned.

What we want instead is Project 5 v 3, 4, ...etc. In order for that to happen, sales must increase. In order for sales to increase, the word must get out. The days of P5 being your niche, private-club, anti-Sonar playground are over. P5 needs to go mainstream in order for Cakewalk to continue prioritizing it. Look how quick Sonar updates happen versus how slow P5 updates happen. That can only be due to sales.

So let's welcome new users, Sonar users who have taken advantage of upgrade offers, and all other interested parties. Who cares if the whole world has P5? It has nothing to do with creativity and the work one produces. That has nothing to do with what software tool a person uses.

Take a look at the post above this one Nick, as I said there is a DVD tutorial coming out shortly after the release of Project5 2.5. It would have been out now, had it not actually been for the update. The decision was made that rather than release a DVD tutorial that would be out of date within months of release that it be held back for the release.

The scripting has already begun on it. The actual video footage and the script will be finalised upon release, then I will be going hell for leather to get the footage done so that we can get a release asap afterwards.

klingon_meow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/16 05:57:03 (permalink)
    Whats all this tutorial stuff. I figured out everything about the program in a day. Blah!
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Spreading the word 2007/02/16 07:26:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: syrath

Take a look at the post above this one Nick, as I said there is a DVD tutorial coming out shortly after the release of Project5 2.5. It would have been out now, had it not actually been for the update. The decision was made that rather than release a DVD tutorial that would be out of date within months of release that it be held back for the release.

The scripting has already begun on it. The actual video footage and the script will be finalised upon release, then I will be going hell for leather to get the footage done so that we can get a release asap afterwards.

That's great news, Stu!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1