DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem

Author
telstar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2007/02/08 10:57:16 (permalink)

DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem

Hello & thanks for looking,

Problem: Record a Sonar track with a (Insert - SoftSynth) DimensionPro MIDI instrument1. Then on the same track change to a different MIDI instrument2 to record it. However, upon playback, my recorded instrument1 has now become the sound of instrument2 (instrument2 doesn't change). Also, when recording the instrument2, instrument1 is sounding as instrument2.....

I'm sure that I am missing something fundamental here; maybe MIDI channels???

What would be the best method to record multiple MIDI instruments from DimensionPro without having them all sound like the last instrument selected in DimensionPro. Also, does it make sense to record all the instruments on the same track (fortunately, MIDI provides for this(Piano roll)?

I appreciate your insights. Thanks!

Best regards......................

5 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem 2007/02/09 18:30:06 (permalink)
    To turn DimPro into a 4-channel multi-timbral synth, click on the Options (Screwdriver) and check off "Set as Multitimbral."

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    beethoven17
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem 2007/02/10 08:06:00 (permalink)
    Or, simply insert an instance of Dim Pro for EACH different sound you want.

If you Insert/Softsynth each time, checking the MIDI track button, you'll have a different MIDI track feeding each Dim Pro instance. Then set the program you want in each instance, and record on the appropriate MIDI track.

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    telstar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem 2007/02/11 12:53:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for your responses.

torhan

It's interesting you mention "4-channel multi-timbral".
    Initially, I recorded using 1-channel & then I noticed I could go "multi-trimbal, so I changed to "multi-timbral" per your advice.
    Here's what happened when I did this. I couldn't hear the sound that I initially recorded....mm-hm? So I then decided to go multi-timbral and re-record the track, per your comments, but I had the same problem; the recorded track took on the characteristics of the last selected instrument. (Note: I have input echo enabled.)

I realize that I have some setup problem. I will evaluate this problem further and see if I can come up with a better description of what I am doing (which, of course, is wrong).

Without taking up too much of your time could you describe your your midi I/O on the DimensionPro Track, i.e.,
    (I think this is the right question to be asking you.)

Input:
    Output:
    Bank:
    Patch:

I realize your I/O will be different devices, but it may give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong.

beethoven17

I am assuming that when you say "instances" you mean "track." Actually, I have taken this approach, adding a virtual instrument track, to for every sound that I want to make with DP. The concerns that I have doing it this way (assuming I understand what you have said) are:

1. I end up with a lot of tracks to manage, and
    2. Since I open up a new DimensionPro for each track, I'll end up putting undo loading on the CPU. (For example, it is recommended that an effect FX be bussed and have all tracks use one instance of the FX to keep loading down, vs. using a FX on every every track.)

Do you consider these as concerns or am I incorrect in my observations?

Thanks again for your insights. I repeatedly marvel at how wonderful this forum is in helping newbies like me; I guess we've all been there at one time.

Regards

beethoven17
    RE: DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem 2007/02/13 04:58:35 (permalink)
    After spending years being concerned about MIDI channels, program changes etc, I found I had to adopt a new way of working with Dim Pro - simply ignoring channels and using a separate instance of the soft synth for every different sound I want.

By 'instance' I mean you insert a softsynth, and associated MIDI track, for each sound.

Yes, you end up with a lot of 'output' tracks this way (but the same number of MIDI tracks)....I deal with this by sticking all my softsynth output tracks in a track folder, as I'm usually only interested in them when it comes to adding the odd audio effect and mixing down.

Of course you're right that this must add some CPU load, though I believe the clever people who write these programs do try to minimise the extra. And whether you've got one synth playing 2 different sounds or 2 different synths, the big job of calculating and playing each sound still has to be done. I've been pleasantly surprised by the fact that I've still not needed to freeze a synth to free up some computer power...but am comforted to have that option when I finally go TOO mad with different sounds in the same project!

andrew
    Sonar 8.5 PE,  Saffire LE, Garritan Steinway & Orchestra, EZDummer, Rapture, Truepiano, no voice, little talent
    beethoven17
    RE: DimensionPro MIDI Sonar recording/playback problem 2007/02/13 04:59:47 (permalink)
    Oh, and just to clarify: if you use Dim Pro in multitimbral mode, you can play 4 different ELEMENTS at once, but not 4 PROGRAMS.

andrew
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1