Getting good drum sounds: particularily hi-hat closed, foot closure

Author
telstar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2007/02/11 13:20:10 (permalink)

Getting good drum sounds: particularily hi-hat closed, foot closure

Hello and thanks for looking

Problem: I have been unsuccessful in finding a good sounding hi-hat closed (by foot without stick) sample on the various soft syths that I have (Session Drummer 2, NI Battery 2, DimensionPro). All seem to be initially too percussive. I've tried compressing and changing the attack times with little success.

My primary concentrations has been on Session Drummer 2 and Dimension Pro. I ran through Battery 2 and didn't find anything to my liking. What is my liking? Most closed hi-hats in pro recordings, in my opinion, minimize the initial percussive attack and capture the the (highly compressed/sustain?)splashing or ticking sound of a hi-hat. (My description isn't very scientific or technical sounding, but I hope you get an idea on what I'm saying )

Anyone have any thoughts on this topic?
Does anyone have any good sounding hi-hats?
What is a good source of hi-hats?

Don't get me wrong, the products I mentioned above have tremendous sounding drums & cymbals, but I have struggled with the hi-hats.

Enough said......Any ideas!

1 Reply Related Threads

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Getting good drum sounds: particularily hi-hat closed, foot closure 2007/02/11 21:40:03 (permalink)
    You could export a hihat close to wavefile lop off the attack, re-envelope the sound to suit with an audio editor. This is not an ideal fix but useable. Or enlist the aid of a friend drumer to capture what you'd like.

I hear you should not compress cymbals. Drums yes cymbals no. Yes every rule was made to be broken.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1