Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps

Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
2007/02/12 14:28:59 (permalink)

Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps

Hi guys,

Here's a new version of 'Red Ford Mustang' - with a special ingredient - real drums! These are courtesy of Michael Sharps, whom you'll have seen on the forum recently.

Michael did a great job on this, he came back with a drum track within 48 hours of my initial scratch track, and I didn't need to change a thing. He made available 8 channels of drums for me to mix in, which was a real learning curve for me!

Anyway, I hope you like the results;

Red Ford Mustang

Thanks in advance for any comments,

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer

20 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 14:49:03 (permalink)
    James, I don't think you can turn out a bad song. This doesn't rock like some of your tunes, but it's got a nice mellow feel. The harmony is real nice and not strictly conventional, adds a lot to the song. And excellent drum work.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 14:59:09 (permalink)
    James,

I was listening and eventually realized I was singing along. Great catchy song and I love the arrangement. I'm wanting the snare drum a bit louder, might just be me though. Love the drum fills, very tasty.

I may have to open a sound click page just so I can start a radio (if that's what it's called) and have this as my first song.

Cheers,

Frank
    post edited by fep - 2007/02/12 15:20:51
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 15:08:51 (permalink)
    Hey James,
    is there any way of getting more presence out of the drums? They sound a bit roomy and less than solid against the intimate close up sound of the track.
    Sorry it's a gripe.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 15:35:50 (permalink)
    James and Michael
    This is so cool that you guy's collaborated on this outstanding song. The drums are very well done Michael. I think they could come up a bit in the mix. The drums have a very good tone. Who EQed the drums?

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 16:19:21 (permalink)
    Hi James, Michael. I do have to agree with what has been said above: The drums need to come a bit forward. Pretty much every one of the 8 tracks. I know it's a mellow song and therefore one hesitates to boost drums ... but, believe me it'll be perfect if they're a bit stronger.
    Yes, still a great, lovely tune!
    Good job on the drums, Michael!
    Heinz.

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 16:44:40 (permalink)
    I really enjoy this tune.

Michael, drums are really nice add on this. Congrats.

James, mixing live drums is a real bugger, ain't it? (oops, is that impolite? )
    As Frank and Nick were suggesting, the snare could be crisped up, the kick given more presence (including the 4k tap); they don't need to dominate the mix, just use a gate, some eq, compression and some eq again to shape them up a bit.
    jamesg1213
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 17:01:42 (permalink)
    Thanks all, I was hoping to get some tips on 'real drum' mixing, and you didn't let me down! I have to admit I've never done this before, actually I haven't worked with a real drummer since about 1993.....

Ed - You're right, it is a bugger Took me 2 days to get to this stage! I think
    I understand what your saying, except for the '4K tap' - what's that?

Heinz - Thanks man, you're always there rooting for me. I have a feeling that eq and compression will solve things, I can 'hear' the drums are maybe loud enough, but they are not quite sounding right

Drumz - Thank you - yes, Michael was a breeze to work with, highly professional. I haven't touched the eq on the drums yet, just added some compression and a splash of reverb, so they are as Michael recorded them at the moment.

Nick - No problem with a gripe, I always appreciate your constructive input, and it looks like everyone agrees, I need to mesh the drums with the track better and give them more punch.

Frank, you're very kind, I'm glad you like this one, it's a favourite of mine too.
    BTW - Time we heard something from yourself is it not?

Mark - You're positive comments are much appreciated, thanks. We always like to get those harmony vocals in, I think it adds a lot of colour to a song.

Jyemz

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 17:36:14 (permalink)
    Took me 2 days to get to this stage! I think
    I understand what your saying, except for the '4K tap' - what's that?

Two days? Good, just a week more to go then.

There are three frequency points of interest in a kick:
    - the fundamental, in the 40Hz to 80hz range, the boom
    - the body, in the 350Hz to 500Hz range, the skin sound
    - the tap, in the 2KHz to 4KHz range, the beater

*Note: these are all approximate, adjust to suit the kit and your taste.

You can carve away in between with cuts at, say at 200Hz, 700Hz and also HPF at 40Hz and LPF at 5K; then you don't have to boost the interest points as much.

Anyway the 4K tap adds that little extra bit of definition for a crisp attack on the kick without having to boost the low end all out of shape.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2007/02/12 17:57:48
    Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 21:08:30 (permalink)
    James cool piece. I think it was mentioned but the drums seem a bit distant. Love the guitar work as well as the keys. excellent piece!!
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 21:20:20 (permalink)
    James, it's very good, but like everyone has pointed out them drums gotta come up. Exellent job on the drums Michael.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/12 21:51:24 (permalink)
    James (and Michael),

Yup, drums can come forward a bit. What a treat to hear this tune again. Great vocals and vocal effects, guitar textures so appropriately present yet subtle, great reverb, chorus, swells, tremolo. Excellent vocal harmonies. Organ filling the space in the back. Drums fit very well. Way cool, great job on this!

Bill
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/13 00:12:18 (permalink)
    James,

+1 for dialing in the drums more

this song is realy comming along in it's development...
    Sounds as if I'm listening to a band....3 guys so far ?....
    all the ingredients are there , and they work well together...
    Having real drums is a major plus..with a real drumer no less that can play......
    roll out the red carpet for them drums and spend the time....on em.
    with real drums ...the music sounds real and not canned....
    always a big improvement.
    more drums.........
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jamesg1213
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/13 08:47:59 (permalink)
    Dazed, Marcos69, Bill, and Kenny - thank you all very much, I'm working on those drums right now!

Ed - You're a star, thanks for taking the time to explain that to me...and I actually understand it now! I've been working away at the kick and snare, and it's coming together, I'll remix soon. You're right, it'll be about a week...

Jyemz

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/13 14:59:10 (permalink)
    Great tune James. I love the harmonies and melodies throughout. Nothing like those real drums huh? I am in the process of recording drums also and man it is a whole other learning curve I really didn't want to subject myself to but, I spent a few months trying to program midi drums and now I just really cant stand hearing them. I felt like they were sucking the life out of my tunes, no matter how well they were programmed. Even with the few eq issues going on with these drums, it stills sounds light years better than the myriad of drum loops/plugins etc.

I had heard this before and theres a big improvement in the natural feel. Great stuff!
    post edited by Maxprizm - 2007/02/13 15:21:11

Ed Edge

msharps
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/13 23:15:46 (permalink)
    Hello all,

My family and I have been up at Lake Tahoe the last couple of days enjoying the fresh snow so I just now had a chance to catch up on the forums.

James, thanks again for letting me play on Red Ford Mustang! My family and I were listening (and singing) to this on our way up to Tahoe… This was a great opportunity for me to test my workflow for remote recording.

Mark, Frank, Drumz, Heinz, Ed, Mark (marcos69), Bill, Kenny, Ed (Maxprizm):
    Thank you all for your encouraging remarks regarding the drumming! This was a great experience for me working together with James.

I’ve been spending quite a bit of time the last couple of weeks with fine tuning mic placement and also learning how to mix with Sonar. These forums have been a HUGE help to me and has really accelerated my learning curve!

With the knowledge I have gained thus far, I have created a “baseline” Sonar project/template for mixing my drum tracks (including busses and effects). I have created a topic under the techniques forum titled, "Drum project download" to share this project as a way to give back to the community here in some small way.

I can really appreciate the mixing challenge that James has been experiencing with the drums. I can get the drums to sound pretty good in their own mix, but it’s a different story to get them to sound good with all the instruments and vocals in a full mix. Sure takes a good ear and a lot of patience and practice!

Michael

Michael Sharps

Sonar 6 PE; MOTU 8pre; Glyph GT 050Q 200GB External HD
    Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/14 13:47:03 (permalink)
    Nice tune James. The intro was the best part for me. Guitars were well done. It's always nice to have reald drums.

I hope I can give one negative comment without your getting mad at me, but I thought the lryics sounded kind of shoved in here and there, as though they were written first. Other than that I've got nothing bad to say. Nice job man.
    jamesg1213
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/15 14:21:02 (permalink)
    Hey Bill (Joe), no chance of me getting mad about anything constructive. What you say is interesting actually, because Tim came up with the lyrics and melody first, before I added anything. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Michael - I hope we can work togther again soon, it was a blast! I'm still EQ-ing those drums (bang, bang, bang....)

Ed - Thanks a lot, those were very encouraging words. You're right too, now Michael has done these real drums for me I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to loops and 'paintbrushes'.

Jyemz

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/15 23:32:41 (permalink)
    Hey James,
    I like the song...guitars sound great...you are to be congratulated for trying to incorporate live drums.
    Unfortunately it's not very easy to do, and I think you still have some tweaking to go.
    A good player (which you've got) a good kit, a good room, good mics, preamp, then all the mixing and compression and eq...
    Its a lot of work...too much for my limited space and patience, but good luck to you guys!

RLD
    j_T
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/21 13:47:04 (permalink)
    That's one hell of a song. Laid back and catchy.

BTW, for me the drums and the rhythm guitar fit together really well. You just found _one_ possible way of mixing them into the song and make them contribute to the whole.

Regards,

Tommy
    Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    RE: Red Ford Mustang - remix with drums by Michael Sharps 2007/02/22 11:25:34 (permalink)
    Count me as liking the drum sound. Its a matter of taste, but I have never liked a BIG drum sound. The way they are mixed here makes them sound more warm and musical. Part of an ensemble.

Mi dos centavos

Cheers,

Bert

Silence is so accurate

http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=587673

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1