DimPro question: extending max/min note range

Author
darc
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 764
2007/02/13 14:21:52 (permalink)

DimPro question: extending max/min note range

I hope this isn't a case of RTFM, but then again I hope there's simple answer. I notice alot of the programs (patches) in DimPro drop off too soon in the upper register (frequently true of bass guitars for instance) and sometimes in the lower register (some piano programs).

Is there a simple way to edit the multi-sample comprising a DimPro element so that the top-most or bottom-most sample applies to a wider range of notes?

Thanks!
post edited by darc - 2007/02/13 14:43:55

6 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: DimPro question: extending max/min note range 2007/02/13 16:23:49 (permalink)
    You should be able to open the .sfz file (of the element, not the program) in Notepad and make a quick edit there (lokey & hikey).

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: DimPro question: extending max/min note range 2007/02/13 20:34:45 (permalink)
    There is a reason why these sfz files are limited in range So if you decide to edit the sfz file always copy/paste/edit and save under new name. This allow the original to remain untouched. Always nice to keep those factory patches original.

Another trick/ load the first/last wavefile into a element and streach away. No edit no new sfz file and your range is extended as far as you want.
    darc
    RE: DimPro question: extending max/min note range 2007/02/14 10:28:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips guys, this is very helpful. I will probably stick w/ torhan's approach as I don't quite understand what lawapa means by "stretch away" in the 2nd approach.

There is a reason why these sfz files are limited in range...

I'll definitely back up any SFZ's I mod, of course, but as for the min/max being set for a reason, I would think these changes would have no effect but to make additional (if potentially bad-sounding) notes available. The notes already in range won't be affected right? And I can always avoid the new notes I don't like?

To date, I've been using splits and putting alternate instruments on higher registers - ie. bass guitars walking up into transposed guitars - and that generally sounds a little weird, too.
    post edited by darc - 2007/02/14 10:50:05
    lawapa
    RE: DimPro question: extending max/min note range 2007/02/14 20:33:59 (permalink)
    lawapa means by "stretch away" in the 2nd approach.

Any note played not on the root note (original pitch) is in effect streached.. with any sfz file you will find there are usually more than one wavefile that triggers over a limited range. The lowest note in that group can be streached down past the note limit for that instrument as well the highest note can be streached up past the upper limit.

When you load a voice/patch in Dpro and it useses a sfz file if you have a spare element you could load the lowest/highest note into that spare element to extend the range. And using the gui set the note limit such there would be no overlap. Now on some sfz files the programing would make the single file sound much different. But copy element could solve that problem with a load new wavefile.
    darc
    RE: DimPro question: extending max/min note range 2007/02/15 11:10:04 (permalink)
    I see. So you're saying that stretching the element that is already in the lowest (or highest) position might affect the tone of all notes in that range, but by adding a new element for the additional range, I will keep the fidelity of the existing range intact? I'm surprised to hear that changing the range of an existing element would affect previously valid notes, but I'll keep your tip in mind when working on these programs. Thanks.
    lawapa
    RE: DimPro question: extending max/min note range 2007/02/15 20:32:10 (permalink)
    I'm surprised to hear that changing the range of an existing element would affect previously valid notes.

If you load either the lowest or highest note into an empty element you can extend the range if the patch/voice has an empty element. If you do that it's with out the programing inherent to that patch so it only effects the loaded single wave file not any of the notes in the factory patch. It can/could sound different because much manipulation can be written into the sfz file that a single load would not have.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1