Balancing Question

Author
halifaxer12
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 551
2007/02/13 20:09:55 (permalink)

Balancing Question

I'm trying to balance all the sounds in my songs. When I was told that the guitars needed to be louder the only way I could do that was add reverb, when I did so it worked but other parts of my song like the verse were too loud now and got annoying. I think this is because in the chorus there were a lot of other sounds involved and it masked the guitar. I was wondering if I could get help on balancing sounds out or get some tips. Also, the drum kit I use doesnt get loud enough to hear because of all the other sounds and I turn them up they get in the red zone...I just need some tips on how to balance my songs out. Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/13 21:06:09 (permalink)
    one easy thing i always keep in mind is to approach it like this:

if something seems too quiet, don't turn it up. figure out what is too loud and turn that down instead.

also, work on using EQ to shape sounds so they fit in better.

The Poodle Chews It.

halifaxer12
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 551
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/13 21:44:58 (permalink)
    hmm alright thats a good suggestion. is it good to reverb other sounds besides the vocals? and if you do, do you always need compression with it?
    Clydewinder
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/13 23:05:06 (permalink)
    FIRST: turn ALL of your faders down halfway. just make a quick group with all tracks and drag 'em down. give yourself some space, there is no penalty for having your faders at 1/2 or less. you can always turn up the master later.

if you are trying to get certain parts to be more clear in the mix then reverb probably isn't the answer, usually it just makes things muddy. if you do use it, start with a small or medium room verb with a predelay ( 20ms or so ). then mix the verb in on a separate aux bus so you have a reverb fader to control effect level. i am using less and less reverb as i get better at mixing and in the last project i only used it very very slightly ( snare drum, lead vocal, toms, and sections of guitar solo )

if you are recording crunch/distorted guitars you probably don't need any compression... distortion is a pretty effective compressor as it is. start by slapping an EQ across the guitar and enabling the lo cut and high cut filters. then slide those in toward the middle until your guitar sounds like a telephone and back them both off a bit. there is literally a TON of sonic trash that you can trim on guitars and vocals on the tops and bottoms that will clean up your mix significantly. also remember that a guitar that sounds great when solo'd will probably take up too much space in a rock/pop mix, so mix UP & DOWN ( high freq / low freq ) and LEFT & RIGHT.

the best advice besides that i can give you is to learn how to use busses to group tracks, and learn how to use the track and clip envelopes. this is where the real strength of a DAW like Sonar is. plugins are fun but not always the only answer.

The Poodle Chews It.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/14 10:20:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Clydewinder
    if you are recording crunch/distorted guitars you probably don't need any compression... distortion is a pretty effective compressor as it is.

With all due respect to your considerably greater experience, Clyde: even with crunch guitar, I like to use mild compression to make the tracks a bit brighter, give them a little more presence in the mix. Granted, I've only recorded four songs, and just began learning to use compression about 6 weeks ago. Perhaps the right EQ would do the trick. But I definitely agree about keeping the playback levels low. Discovering that helped a lot in regards to keeping everything balanced.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Clydewinder
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/14 11:07:32 (permalink)
    indeed, compression use is varied in that respect. i rarely use it on mic'd up amps with distorted tones. i use it often on solo(lead) guitars and occasionally on POD type DI stuff.

The Poodle Chews It.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/14 11:35:36 (permalink)
    Well, that could be a point right there: I usually play through my Toneport rather than micing an amp, which I must try to get that warmth of the tube amp. I can see how that might make a difference regarding the use of compression. What surprised me was the disparity in the resulting sound using various compressors. I.e., the Cakewalk compression sounds different than, say, digitalfishphone's endorphin or Voxengo's polysquasher. And it's worth trying each one under different circumstances.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/14 13:35:56 (permalink)
    Man, this is a loaded question. I'll try to not really babble.

When you mix, have a goal in mind for the ending DB level. I usually try my best to stay around -18dbfs, since that equals out to 0dbvu. This will give me, and whoever masters the material, a ton of headroom to work with. The peaks may reach a lot higher than -18, but if my meters dance around there then I'm happy.

To get a good balance from a track, you should consider panning, EQ, compression, and reverb in light doses. More reverb can be added for effect, but not to make something sound louder. As stated, reverb usually blends things into the song and with too much you make it muddy. Try to cut the guitars low-end out of the picture (under 60 or 100Hz). The bass guitar and kick drum work the low end. If there are main instruments that take up a 'main' freuqency space, I keep this in mind for everything else. I don't let me guitar step on the bass's main area in the frequ spectrum. I don't let the bass guitar live where the kick drum lives. I didn't care about all that before, but that's what made my mixes really boomy and muddy in the low-end. I'm still not great at it.

Another thing that you have to keep in mind that is that you need a good source sound. If the sound doesn't sound like you want right off the bat, then you will be playing with it during mixing. That will make it hard to get a good balance between the tracks because EQ can really mess with the perceived volume of a track or part. I used to record guitars and try to make them fit or sound really heavy, but then I realized that my squier through a fender amp will not sound like a Mesa no matter what I do.

So all of that has to do with a balanced mix. Balance isn't just volume right? So turning down or turning up is usually just part of the process.
    Oh yea, and said before me, turn down instead of up!
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: Balancing Question 2007/02/22 09:28:45 (permalink)
    Hi

Right few thoughts in terms of mixing

I always think of mixing as a 3d box. The horizontal axis is width, the vertical = volume and the depth axis is distance from the listener.

The idea with a mix is to have all the elements occupy there own place in this 3dimensinoal space, 1) so they don't get in each others way and 2) so that it sounds really rich. (remeber you odn't have to go to the extremse either, you may decide that your furthest pan will only be 30% becuase you want a tight focused sound, just make sure that all the different elements of the mix have slightly different pan settings. within those self imposed parameters.

Now you can groups the tools at your disposal into these three groups in roughly the following

Width = Pan, and stereo based effects such as chorus

Vertical = Volume, COmpression and Dynamics effects

Depth = Reverb and delay based effects.(plus volume as well, complicated eh)

COuple of other things its worth considering, EQ as an effect and EQ for placement. You may eq a guitar part to make its sound like you want it to, much like you would wit h a guitar amp, you may then apply compressoin reverb other bits and bobs to get to a sound you really like aestetically, and then there is no reason why you cannot apply a final eq that is used merely to position this final sound in the mix. Ie you may use a plugin eq for sound shaping, and the sonitus eq for positioning the element in the mix.

Also side chaining, this does not technically exist in Sonar, (lets not start this argument) but this is where you get the dynamics from one source (kick drum) to trigger the compressor on another source (bass) meaning that when the kick hits the bass is compresed so they don't trip over each other. THis technique can be used on any complementary sources ie a vocal that has a guitar solo sat underneath it.

There are many threads on ways of achieving side chaining in Sonar, do a search.

Hope some of this helps, or at least inspires you to experiment.

G
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1