Drum project download

Author
msharps
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
2007/02/13 23:02:06 (permalink)

Drum project download

I have been coming up to speed with Sonar PE over the last few weeks with recording/mixing acoustic drums. There are, of course, numerous challenges including mic placement, room acoustics, drum dampening (to eliminate undesired overtones), eq, gating, compression, limiting, etc.

These forums have been a HUGE help to me and has really accelerated my learning curve!! I am grateful for all who have spent so much time freely contributing and sharing their knowledge. A special thanks goes out to “yep” who has a real talent for explaining complex subjects in a way that a newbie can understand!

With the knowledge I have gained thus far, I have created a “baseline” Sonar project/template for mixing my drum tracks (including busses and effects). After receiving so much from this community, I would like to give back by making this project available for download.

I don’t presume that anyone will learn anything new from this project, but I thought it would provide a good sandbox to practice and experiment with different mixing techniques using real drum audio tracks for anyone interested.

The project includes 8 tracks of drum audio:

Track 1 – Kick
Track 2 – Snare
Track 3 – Hi-hat
Track 4 – Floor Toms
Track 5 – Toms 2
Track 6 – Toms 1
Track 7 – Overhead Left
Track 8 – Overhead Right

The only effect I’m using that is not a part of Sonar 6 PE is the Kjaerhus Classic Master Limiter which is a free VST plugin available for download from their website.

Here is the link for the project download (22MB zip file): FunkyGroove.zip

Here is a link to listen to the mixdown of the project: FunkyGroove.mp3

Enjoy!
Michael

Michael Sharps

Sonar 6 PE; MOTU 8pre; Glyph GT 050Q 200GB External HD
Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD

18 Replies Related Threads

Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/14 13:05:37 (permalink)
    Michael, I can't get the links to work. My server could be the problem. Anyone else having a problem with the links?

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    msharps
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/14 13:12:31 (permalink)
    I just checked the link and it's working for me. I'm wondering if your browser or anti-virus is preventing the download of zip files... Have you had any
    problems downloading zip files in the past?

Michael Sharps

Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/15 19:48:47 (permalink)
    Hi Michael,
    I had no problem downloading you file.
    hey thanks for making it available.....also checked out your site ...good playing.
    wish I could afford your rates..I like what you did on Red Mustang...

OT; some folks around here don't have S...6 PE...so they might miss out , as far as being able to open your wonderful instructive demo ...
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Drumz
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/15 20:11:31 (permalink)
    Michael, I did finally get everything downloaded. The problem IS on my end with my server. However, one of the files won't open. Must be the video that kenny mentioned.

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    kennywtelejazz
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/15 22:23:05 (permalink)
    I didn't see a video, in there, but I did notice that today when I oppened up the project a dialog box wanted to search for audio....
    it seems that after manualy putting the audio into the audio folder things became smooth.

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

msharps
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/15 22:53:06 (permalink)
    Kenny: I’m glad you were able to download the file… you make a good point about pre Sonar 6 users not being able to open the project file… I’m not sure how to workaround that. : (
    I had a chance to check out your music… you are an extremely talented musician and a gifted composer! A few of my favorites are, “She was once a friend to me”, “Someday I will love again”, and “Electric Zucchini”… great stuff and full of feeling! I’d be happy to track some drums for you when I’m in-between projects... never mind the session rates, I’m sure I’ll have a need in the near future for someone to track some guitar parts for me : )

Drumz: Did you have any success opening the project? What version of Sonar do you have? You might receive an error if the WAV files are not in the audio folder and/or if you do not have the limiter plug-in.

Michael Sharps

kennywtelejazz
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/16 02:24:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: msharps

Kenny: I’m glad you were able to download the file… you make a good point about pre Sonar 6 users not being able to open the project file… I’m not sure how to workaround that. : (
    I had a chance to check out your music… you are an extremely talented musician and a gifted composer! A few of my favorites are, “She was once a friend to me”, “Someday I will love again”, and “Electric Zucchini”… great stuff and full of feeling! I’d be happy to track some drums for you when I’m in-between projects... never mind the session rates, I’m sure I’ll have a need in the near future for someone to track some guitar parts for me : )

Hi Michael,
    yeah , it was a real eye opener to see your template and settings....

the only reason I mentioned the S 6 PE situation is a lot of guys that post real good songs at the song forum still use HS with better plugs and softsynths than what came with HS.
    If you had a version of HS or a previous version of SONAR a posible workaround would be to post it in that format also , and then some of the guys that use HS or SONAR 5 and lower could open the bundle to get an idea ........

I still have HS2 and SONAR 5 SE on my machine ,
    SONAR 6 PE can open the older versions easy enough ...as will as long as it's not saved in S 6 PE.....then it will have to stay a S..6 project
    a posible work around is to put the audio files in a folder , with some instructions ,
    ex tempo and routing ...plugs ...in note pad
    I havn't had the time to try this yet ....but I could open HS and import the audio , and try to recreate your template ....I know that would work .....minor diff with the plugs ...and any version of SONAR would be able to open it. just a thought
    the $ 64.000.00 problem is a lesser version could not open the S...6 PE bundle..but as seperate tracks they could be imported. and utilised easy enough.

thanks for giving my music a listen ....
    I appreceate it....somedays I listen to a few , and wonder how I came up with it....
    must be one of those in the zone things....
    Last 4 or 5 I didn't use drums.....
    I wanted to ...but I figured it would be better for me to leave them out...rather than me messing up the tune with some of my learning curve attempts at drum programing.......

this is one of the reasons your file was an eye opener to me....

you ever want some guitar ....I'm available
    heres one I'm proud of .....
    Fishing Buchanan Creek
    Robert Blanton ...songwriter...main acoustic ..
    Eric ..Holderofthehorns ...mando..bass..
    my self ....assorted synths, guitars ...and production..
    keep meaning to put this one on my page....
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=576327&songID=4791176

nice rapping with you
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Drumz
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/16 10:12:49 (permalink)
    OK, I know what the problem is. I didn't comprehend that this is a template to be used in a recording program. I don't use my DAW on the net so I didn't associate your download to my DAW. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    post edited by Drumz - 2007/02/16 21:37:17

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/16 10:50:58 (permalink)
    Hey Michael,
    This is great! I just listened to the mp3 and will pull down the project later.

I'm going to enjoy putting somethings on this. Fine groove!

Thanks!
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/16 11:08:20 (permalink)
    Michael, if Kenny or any other guitarist are too busy or unable to play on a project, give me a shout, I'd love to help.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/16 14:19:43 (permalink)
    Hi - just thought it worth mentioning that I had no problem opening the project file Michael sent me for Red Ford Mustang, even though I'm on Home Studio 4 -XL and it was done in 6; I just had to ignore the plug-ins that were used.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    msharps
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/16 14:31:25 (permalink)
    I could open HS and import the audio , and try to recreate your template

Kenny, that would be great! If it works out, maybe you could post the template here...?

Awesome, I would love to collaborate with you!

Fishing Buchanan Creek

This is outstanding work, I love this piece!! I've already played it quite a few times. The performances are amazing... I love the dobro work (that's you, right?) Did you do the mixing? It is so well balanced and crystal clear!

I'm going to enjoy putting somethings on this.

Ed, I can't wait to hear what you come up with! I've been so inspiried by your bass work... it's giving me all kinds of new ideas : )

Mark, I really appreciate your offer and would love to work on some projects with you! I loved your guitar work on "Obscured by Reality".

Michael Sharps

kennywtelejazz
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/19 06:05:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: msharps

I could open HS and import the audio , and try to recreate your template

Kenny, that would be great! If it works out, maybe you could post the template here...?

Awesome, I would love to collaborate with you!

Fishing Buchanan Creek

This is outstanding work, I love this piece!! I've already played it quite a few times. The performances are amazing... I love the dobro work (that's you, right?) Did you do the mixing? It is so well balanced and crystal clear!

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the kind words on Fishing Buchanan Creek,
    I'm proud to have contributed to the song.
    On FBC..Robert played the main driving acoustic, Eric played the Bass and mando.
    all the other parts were done over here be me using some of my Guitarsenal.
    the newest member was the dobro I had bought the day after Christmas
    The mix that is posted was done over here as a SONAR 6 PE project / Samplitude SE project.

I do hope we can get together soon....on a song /project ....
    my e mail is Kennywtelejazz<at>yahoo dot com...

regarding your S...6 PE drum file on this thread
    I hav't gotten the chance to put it in HS yet.....
    my time is starting to free up a little...
    I will give it a shot....and let you know....

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/19 13:27:20 (permalink)
    Hey Mike,

I use GTPro 2.0 for most of my tracking. I couldn't get it to open the file even after changing it to a .wrk file. But no biggie; I just imported each wave file individually. Actually I opened them in Audition instead. (I don't generally use Audition for multi-tracking even though you can).

One thing I don't understand is this file:

FunkyGroove, OH Right, Edit (2).WAV

Was that left in by mistake. It doesn't seem to really have anything on it except for some real faint sounds.
    msharps
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/19 13:41:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

One thing I don't understand is this file:

FunkyGroove, OH Right, Edit (2).WAV

Was that left in by mistake. It doesn't seem to really have anything on it except for some real faint sounds.

Yeah, you can disregard that file... I thought I had deleted it before zipping the package.

The WAV files will probably not sound as warm and punchy on their own without the effects in the Sonar template.
    I have exported the same tracks with processing added (compression, eq, tape sim) and you can download them by clicking on this link: MultitrackWAV.zip

Michael Sharps

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/19 13:56:25 (permalink)
    I'll give it a try after dinner. Thanks.
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/19 22:26:05 (permalink)
    Michael,

Just want to say "Thank you" for taking the time to do this and making it available to everyone. Top notch.

Bill
    msharps
    RE: Drum project download 2007/02/20 02:00:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ToneCarver

Michael,

Just want to say "Thank you" for taking the time to do this and making it available to everyone. Top notch.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm a big fan of sharing knowledge because we all benefit from it. I've learned so much in such a short time from these forums!
    I'm wide open to critique and suggestions with this template... I know there are many others on these forums that have much more experience than I. Since creating this template, I have started gating the snare, kick, and toms a lot tighter based on a recommendation that Ed made in another post. As always, it's a work in progress : )

Michael Sharps

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1