newbie midi question

Author
pisquano
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 36
2007/02/14 14:28:05 (permalink)

newbie midi question

sorry I know it's dumb
when I record using a soft synth sonar will create a midi track and an audio track so I can hear the sound

but I will not actually record any real audio will I? I mean...when I go back and see what I recorded I just see the midi notes but no audio..

for example If I try the export audio function sonar will tell me that there's no audio...
question: at what stage in the process the midi (synth) becomes audio signal?when I do the final rendering of the project?

11 Replies Related Threads

sani
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/14 14:38:52 (permalink)
    You record just midi. It can be routed to a soft synth or an external synth. Midi is a protocol, not any kind of audio. If you want to export, you have to choose both: the midichanel and the audiochannel which holds the softsynth.
    pisquano
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/14 14:52:31 (permalink)
    yes but when you play midi you trigger audio samples and I thought sonar would record that audio on the audio track...
    the audio channel that holds the softsynth lets me hear the synth but doesn't get recorded with the played "audio" files..dunno if I make myself clear...

I mean..midi notes trigger the sounds...but where and when do i record those sounds meaning the audio portion?
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/14 15:04:35 (permalink)
    You need to "bounce to tracks" or record the live synth input onto an audio track to actually "record" it. Otherwise, you have a recorded MIDI track that "plays" the synth while it plays but nothing is recorded in the audio realm. HTH
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/14 15:06:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pisquano

yes but when you play midi you trigger audio samples and I thought sonar would record that audio on the audio track...
    the audio channel that holds the softsynth lets me hear the synth but doesn't get recorded with the played "audio" files..dunno if I make myself clear...

I mean..midi notes trigger the sounds...but where and when do i record those sounds meaning the audio portion?

The softsynth doesn't record it's just like a rack mount sound module or keyboard, you use it to hear what you are playing and record the midi on a midi track to "drive" the softsynth. You can leave it like that and do the final mix with the midi track playing the software synth as it exports or if you want to you can select both the midi track and the software synth track and do a "bounce" to a new audio track for safe keeping or to reduce load on your computer. The way I work, I do one software synth at a time and bounce it to an audio track when I have the midi track edited and perfect. Then I hide and archive the midi track (just in case) and remove the software synth from the project to free up resources. Then I add the next software synth I need to use and do the same thing. You don't have to do this if your computer has enough CPU power to do all of them at once but I just like to get all of them converted to audio tracks before I start the final mix. It's also good for your backup and archive. I may not have some of those software synths on my next system but I can always do back and open an old project and remix it because I bounced everything to audio.
    rkl122
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/14 23:07:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

The softsynth doesn't record it's just like a rack mount sound module or keyboard, you use it to hear what you are playing and record the midi on a midi track to "drive" the softsynth. You can leave it like that and do the final mix with the midi track playing the software synth as it exports or if you want to you can select both the midi track and the software synth track and do a "bounce" to a new audio track for safe keeping or to reduce load on your computer. The way I work, I do one software synth at a time and bounce it to an audio track when I have the midi track edited and perfect. Then I hide and archive the midi track (just in case) and remove the software synth from the project to free up resources. Then I add the next software synth I need to use and do the same thing. You don't have to do this if your computer has enough CPU power to do all of them at once but I just like to get all of them converted to audio tracks before I start the final mix. It's also good for your backup and archive. I may not have some of those software synths on my next system but I can always do back and open an old project and remix it because I bounced everything to audio.

Frank, your post is relevant to some issues I've been grappling with, so I hope I'm not hijacking this thread to ask. If you work out your mixing parameters with the midi track, then presumably you've fixed, say, the volume and pan positions that you want. That means you can't touch the faders for the audio tracks. So what do you do, default them to max and center to begin with then use them only for inserting effects, etc? But if you choose to bounce, then *they* are the only controls left to tweak. However, if you'd already had say a pan set in the midi before the bounce, then the center position for pan on the corresponding audio track doesn't actually correspond to a centered sound. This sort of thing has led me to confusion city.

Just trying to get a handle on the best way to mix with softsynths, since I'm relatively new to it. Seems like if I'm not careful, it's easy to end up tweaking pan and volume with counter-intuitive results. This happened to me yesterday with JABB. I had one patch's pan position worked out in midi (to which the JABB (Kontact) player responds) then was trying to tweak it further using the corresponding audio tracks pan fader. So, for example, I was trying to move left of center a sound which was already right of center, and wondering why it was not moving as far as I'd expected it to. I suppose one solution is to make a template for each softsynth with each track volume maxed and pan centered. Then when used in a project, all mixing would be done in the midi tracks, as you say. It's hard, though, to have those luscious audio channel strips in the console and not touch those faders.

If you were to go back and remix one of those old projects that you mixed in midi but for which you no longer have the softsynth, you'd run into the same sort of issues, no? Just wondering whether I'm missing something about how to work out a consistent methodology for using both the midi and audio track mixing parameters without confusing the hell out of myself.

-Ron
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/14 23:46:34 (permalink)
    Its common place to bounce to tracks your MIDI data once you've actually got all ther note data how you like it. then after the bounce you will only have audio to mix as if you had recorded actual musicians playing instruments.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    pisquano
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/15 07:30:06 (permalink)
    thanks guy that's what I wanted to know
    I guess I will pass midi to a track towards the end of the project..when I am 100% happy with the notes...

so to do that i simply need to put the synth in the inputs of an audio track and record?
    pisquano
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/17 09:24:20 (permalink)
    guys sorry but I keep having problems...
    I created an audio track and I put the midi synth as input and it all seems fine meaning that now I see the audio coming from the synth
    BUT...when i try to do something with this new audio track i can't! for example I wanted to normalize the audio from the synth (for unkown reasons I have higher peaks in just a part of my drum part) but the options are greyed out on the new audio track....

I think I am missing something....please help!
    Milt
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 781
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/17 10:00:23 (permalink)
    You have to bounce to track the audio before you can use any audio processing. In other words, you have to have the actual audio on the track, not the audio output from your synth.
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/17 10:04:37 (permalink)
    Hi pisquano:
    Make as jinga8 suggest: select BOTH audio (the one which output the softsynth audio) and MIDI track and click Edit/Bouce to Tracks. A new track will be created and it will hold the resulting softsynth wave file. After this, you can to archieve BOTH the MIDI and audio track for to free the system resources.
    No need to record the synth output.
    Greetings.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

rkl122
    • Total Posts : 262
    RE: newbie midi question 2007/02/17 10:25:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pisquano

guys sorry but I keep having problems...
    I created an audio track and I put the midi synth as input and it all seems fine meaning that now I see the audio coming from the synth
    BUT...when i try to do something with this new audio track i can't! for example I wanted to normalize the audio from the synth (for unkown reasons I have higher peaks in just a part of my drum part) but the options are greyed out on the new audio track....

I think I am missing something....please help!

Creating the audio track is not the same as recording it. Sounds like you haven't recorded it yet. This is done with Edit>Bounce to Tracks. cf. this section in the helpfile: Converting Your Soft Synth Tracks to Audio

HTH, Ron
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1