One pattern, multiple channels?

Author
DelvarWorld
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2007/02/16 00:00:26 (permalink)

One pattern, multiple channels?

I'm working on a project with a lot of different parts in it, and currently I have one pattern for one voice, but I really don't think this is the best way to do it. I just recorded a default song off of my Yamaha keyboard (one of the preset ones) and it all recorded to the same pattern, but it plays all 12 channels of the synth I'm using. When I click on each note it just sounds like channel one, though, so I'm not sure how to write multiple channels into one pattern. Anyone got any input on that, and any workflow speedups in general for multi-part writing?

15 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 04:37:47 (permalink)
    You would need to set up 16 tracks, , in the track inspector at the left had side at the top you will see a list of midi functions. For each of the tracks you would need to set up a separate input where it says All-Ports Omni - Once you set these up as your midi channel 1-16, you can set all of them to record (control click the record toggle on all of them to select them all). Then start your keyboard playing while it records, it will record 16 patterns, one for each of the channels on your keyboard. Make sure your project5 tempo and your keyboard tempo match.
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 06:49:49 (permalink)
    Not sure if this is related, but one thing that was possible on the old "Master Tracks" sequencer i used to use with the Atari ST many years ago was, you could change the channel midway of recording a pattern as many times as you wanted, and that was all within one pattern. When you played it back it would play all the seperate parts on the seperate channels. That is the one single thing i'd love p5 to be able to do, but i doubt that would be possible. Unless you can and i missed it.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 07:25:16 (permalink)
    You can merge together 'single MIDI channel' patterns into a multichannel 'master' pattern. The key to playing it back is in the Send To: setting. It's an override for what's contained within a pattern. None plays back the pattern's channel; everything else redirects.

You can have a separate Send To: setting for each track, or (more importantly), for each Track Layer (right-click -> Create Layer). The preview bus (from the Editor) plays back through current synth settings unless otherwise directed. In one scenario, you could have the MIDI Override button enabled, the Option to follow current track enabled, and redirect the input to different Track Layers, patterns, and MIDI Channels. Use the Up/Down Qwerty arrow keys to switch Layers while recording.
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 17:30:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

You can merge together 'single MIDI channel' patterns into a multichannel 'master' pattern. The key to playing it back is in the Send To: setting. It's an override for what's contained within a pattern. None plays back the pattern's channel; everything else redirects.

You can have a separate Send To: setting for each track, or (more importantly), for each Track Layer (right-click -> Create Layer). The preview bus (from the Editor) plays back through current synth settings unless otherwise directed. In one scenario, you could have the MIDI Override button enabled, the Option to follow current track enabled, and redirect the input to different Track Layers, patterns, and MIDI Channels. Use the Up/Down Qwerty arrow keys to switch Layers while recording.

Cheers Tom. Looks interesting.
    DelvarWorld
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 19:32:48 (permalink)
    Are track layers only in version 2? I'm using version 1.5 right now and can't seem to find this option.
    b rock
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 19:41:13 (permalink)
    Are track layers only in version 2?
    Yeah, buddy. I've got 1.5 loaded here as well, for various reasons. Let me see if I can come up with some alternatives specific to that version.
    CareyLetendre
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 19:42:32 (permalink)
    I'm using version 1.5

What the ... really??
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/16 22:39:04 (permalink)
    What the ... really??

I busted open 1.5 lookin for the performances maps but it was no dice.

If anybody knows where I can get a plug in to do performance maps please spill the beans.

Tom,

Is it possible to use the MidiOut plug-in w/track layers and have each layer address a different channel? I thought it was and that I had done it b4 but when I tried it a couple of days ago it was like trying to dig up those performance maps.

have a good one
    3Eo
    b rock
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/17 01:57:02 (permalink)
    Is it possible to use the MidiOut plug-in w/track layers and have each layer address a different channel?
    Sure. I do it all the time with the Ion (TX/RX on four channels). Just make sure that your Track Layer/Lane is set to a specific MIDI channel (not Omni), with no MIDI override in sight. Then, either the patterns have to be complementary MIDI channels in the Editor, or you override it by channel in each layer (Send To: in the Track Inspector). The MIDIOut just has to be pointed to the correct output port in the 'master' track.
    I busted open 1.5 lookin for the performances maps but it was no dice.
    I'm missing something here. Do you mean the ol' Track Patches reborn as Device Chains? Or perhaps that undocumented .p5l layout file that pops up under the View menu? (That trick still works partially in v2.) Maybe you mean something else entirely ...
    post edited by b rock - 2007/02/17 02:37:47
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/17 18:07:22 (permalink)
    I'm missing something here. Do you mean the ol' Track Patches reborn as Device Chains? Or perhaps that undocumented .p5l layout file that pops up under the View menu? (That trick still works partially in v2.) Maybe you mean something else entirely ...

It's the KINETIC grid thingy..... I want to cheat and be able to play some beautiful phrygian-cross-lodian chord from 1 inputted note. When we discussed the grid in the other thread the P5v2 rep from cakewalk said that P5v1 had performance maps (that is what they're called in the GRID). So summarized, you play 1 note and you get a chord. I just can't believe that there isn't a MFX or something out there to give me this result and that the bakers gave it a go only to bin it w/the DS864 & nPulse.

Thanks for the midiOut layering channel workflow.

have a good one
    3Eo
    b rock
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/17 18:39:21 (permalink)
    I just can't believe that there isn't a MFX or something out there to give me this result
    Maybe not a single MFX plugin, but Layered copies. Each Track Layer/Lane can have its own (main) Transpose setting and/or MFX plugins. You create two extra Layers, load the Transpose MFX in the main track, and make some adjustments to it. Then copy the MFX and paste it in the two layers.

You might have something like this:
    Track ID 1 : Transpose : 1
    Transposition Method: Key/Scale
    To: C Ionian (Major)

Track ID 1 : Layer 1 (synth name) : 1
    To: 4 Sharps (E) Phrygian

Track ID 1 : Layer 2 (synth name) : 1
    To: 1 Sharp (G) Mixolydian

Of course you can change the To: settings to whatever you want, and augment that with the Track Inspector Transpose. The result is one note in, a triad out, and in this case above, the notes' output is locked to a harmonized scale. Constrain To Scale ticked in each MFX prevents any 'mistakes'.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/02/17 19:08:53
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/17 23:20:08 (permalink)
    Tom,

That is so cool. I didn't even think I had the capability to do it w/the existing setup. Now there is only 1 problem (i'm tryin' to be funny not pessimistic) you're assuming I know those darned scales.

have a good one
    3Eo
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/18 00:41:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter
    That is so cool. I didn't even think I had the capability to do it w/the existing setup.

B does that to people. I hate him. We all hate him. He is the one who's name is not spoken. Sorta like Voldermort...

So Byran: First, check your PM. (Ahem) Then check THIS Something B put on the WIKI a while ago that I spot-checked for him. Not exactly the same thing you're talking about, but interesting nontheless and ties into your question.

WC

EDIT: Yeah, yeah....I had to look up Voldermort from your last post. Heh...
    post edited by wgcabp - 2007/02/18 01:05:18
    DelvarWorld
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/18 03:19:02 (permalink)
    H..hey guys...does...does anyone know the uh, answer to my original question?
    b rock
    RE: One pattern, multiple channels? 2007/02/18 07:24:25 (permalink)
    does anyone know the uh, answer to my original question?
    I think that this is how we had to do it in P5 1.5. I'll need to experiment a little to verify.

Since there's no combine patterns, you had to select the notes from each 'channelized' pattern and copy them to the clipboard. Then, in a blank 'master' pattern (set to Ch. Any), you pasted the notes from each of the individual patterns. The MIDI Channel assignments come with them. Sort of the long way home, but you use what you've got to work with.
    I hate him. We all hate him.
    If you would, Mr. Wedgiecap, please take a number from the machine at the counter like the rest of the patrons.
    "Now serving 16 ... Number sixteen? ... OK, who has 17?"
    post edited by b rock - 2007/02/18 07:56:04
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1