No guitar sound

Author
Pahs1994
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2007/02/17 19:42:22 (permalink)

No guitar sound

Hi, i just got MC3 in the mail today. I thought usuing this program would be pretty simple for the kind of stuff i wanted to do right out of the box. and currently i don't have an external soundcard but i read in the help section that you can connect your electric guitar by simply using a 1/4 - 1/8 adapter to the mic input. So i hooked it up but it didn't work right away. but after a few minutes of messing around with the settings i figured out how to record using my microphone but the guitar still doesnt give any sound and it doesn't even show that anything is registering on the software but if i unplug the guitar and put the mic back in the same mic input i can record vocals no problem. is there something i am missing here?

I am running on a older computer i have an Emachine T1120 with 512 MB Ram, a SoundMax Digital Audio Soundcard and an intel Celoron Processor. Im not sure if any of that info will help.
Eric
post edited by Pahs1994 - 2007/02/17 20:04:32

8 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/17 20:05:58 (permalink)
    Welcome, Eric,
    Your guitar has a very low level output, usually too low to register. Since you can record the mic, I assume you have the input configured correctly. Do you have an amp with a line out? You can connect this to the line in of the computer, but you should us a stereo to mono adapter. Give us some more info on the external equipment you have available.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Pahs1994
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/17 20:27:09 (permalink)
    at the moment i have my small Fender 15 watt amp. it has a 8(ohlm)? External Speaker jack and a headphones jack, it doesn't have the yellow and white stereo jacks if that is what i need. I didn't even know you can hook the amp to the computer, i was afraid it could blow it out or something. im sorry, i not very good with electronics i try reading through all the help files but they don't seem to offer any help at all and they give me a headache cause i don't know what it is refering to half the time.

anyways if there is no solutuion to my problem without having to buy more equpment what would you suggest? i am not looking to spend alot of money. i have a small 4 track recorder and i wanted to upgrade a bit so i got this program because of the price and the number of tracks and effects i can use. anyways i saw a M-Audio Refurbished Fast Track USB Computer Recording Interface for around $70 on musiciansfriend.com, is this the sort of thing i should be looking for?
    Thanks for the help
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/17 21:18:53 (permalink)
    The FastTrack would be a good move. It will give you an instrument input, and get you away from that awful Soundmax card.
    Good call on the connections. When in doubt, don't do it. The 8 ohm output would have caused serious damage to your computer. You MAY be able to use the headphone as a line level output. Check the manual. If it says you can do that, ALWAYS set the output volume to ZERO, and slowly turn it up.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/17 22:05:58 (permalink)
    Can you hear the guitar if you plug it in to the 4 track? If you can, it has on board pre-amps, so plug into an input of the recorder, then use the line out from the recorder to your computer line in. Might need some adapters. Least expensive way to get the guitar into the computer, since the mic works, would be an inexpensive pre-amp,Behringer sells one for about $50, small tube amp, little to no noise.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/17 22:39:09 (permalink)
    Do you have any stomp boxes? Plug your guitar into one and the output to the line in on your computer. Don't forget to change the recording source in MC to line in.

Jeff
    Pahs1994
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/18 00:49:41 (permalink)
    I though about using the 4 track after i made my last post. the guitar sounds fine in my 4 track plus i have all the cables i think i need because i have some i use for mixing down from the 4 tarck to regular casettes.. also i have a few boss effects pedals that i can try using too.. i just was alittle afraid of plugging either the 4 track or the effects pedals into my computer since i have no idea what the end result would be. My 4 track is a Tascam MF-P01 it has a L and R outputs plus i have several boss pedals and a zoom multi effects pedal. its late tonight so i will probably try that out tomarrow. But definatly let me know if it is safe to use any of these to plug into my computer i really don't want to fry it.. also does the pedal have to goto the line in or can i use the mic in jack for that also? i am only asking because my mic in is convieniently in the front on my computer as the other inputs are in the back and the way it is set up it is kinda hard to pull it out and mess around with. ill let you guys know how it works out tomarrow thanks for the help.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/18 13:19:11 (permalink)
    Looks like your best bet would be to use the Tascam as your pre-amp as Albert suggested - I do pretty much the same with my Boss BR-8, taking the line-outs into the line-ins on soundcard. If your soundcard only has one line-in jack, and your Tascam has two outs, you can get an adaptor to take two-into-one.

That way you can also use your stomp boxes if you want, take the lead from them into your Tascam. That'll give you some nice options for modelling your sound before it gets to the computer.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: No guitar sound 2007/02/18 19:05:27 (permalink)
    You should use the line in for the output from your mixer/tape deck. The mic in has a little pre-amp which might boost the line in signal to overload level. I used my Tascam 4-track cassette for quite a while as a mixer, so yours should work.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1