How do you have your "studio" set up?

Author
yahootey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2007/02/17 20:38:06 (permalink)

How do you have your "studio" set up?

Just curious as to how everyone has his/her computer(s), instruments, accessories, and stands arranged in their respective "studios."

I'm still debating what kind of stand to get for my second keyboard. Currently I have my new keyboard on one of those "X" stands facing horizontally to the right of my PC. The other keyboard is the problem. I've looked into getting, for lack of better terms, a "tiered" or "stairway" stand that would allow me to stack the two devices, but the lowest I've seen one is $100!

Also looked at buying attachments that would basically turn my exisiting "X" stand into the aforementioned "stairway" stand, but those are around $90.

Currently, I've gone the cheap way and found another "X" stand at Wal-Mart of all places for the inexpensive price of $10 (it was on clearance).

I have been reluctant to open it since the problem is, due to space constraints, I would have to set this stand and my other keyboard horizontally on the PC's left.

So how have you jerry-rigged your "studio?"

Trying to get some ideas,
Brian

6 Replies Related Threads

joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: How do you have your "studio" set up? 2007/02/17 21:02:56 (permalink)
    $90 for another tier? That's a little (a lot) extreme! I picked up a double-braced stand and an extender for a little more than $50 together.

That's at my church though. At home, I've got a single-X for my Triton, and I have my MIDI controller keyboard on my desk right in front of my monitor.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: How do you have your "studio" set up? 2007/02/17 21:58:56 (permalink)
    You can see my studio at the gamblerschoice.us link in my signature. Not sure if you can see it, but my keyboard is on a plywood shelf attached to the console desk, an old bar top that was in the house when we bought it. I had to hinge the plywood at about the 2/3 point so that I could fold it down out of the way to get in the door behind it, where the electric panel and water meter for the house is, but it is bolted on from underneath, realy nice set up, just not typical.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: How do you have your "studio" set up? 2007/02/17 22:44:58 (permalink)
    Brian, I got a similar setup like you with respect to the keyboard. I only have one which I solely use as a Midi Controller. I too use a X-Stand and it sits to my left, in a 90 degree angle to the computer desk. If I was to get another keyboard, I would either go and pick up another X-Stand and set up that keyboard in a 90 degree angle on the right side of the desk; or, I would get a double Keyboard stand. Latter, would make much more sense, I think.
    My new studio is almost finished. I will post some pics in here as soon as the last stroke of paint has dried.
    Heinz.

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: How do you have your "studio" set up? 2007/02/17 23:10:31 (permalink)
    Screen and PC keyboard on a corner desk, with the external sound card and a lot of junk. Athena stereo speakers on the desk's top. PC, receiver, printer and mixer on an old stereo cabinet to my right. Yamaha keyboard behind me on an X stand, due to the lack of space because of my brother not the programmer's insistence that we keep a bed in here. Sometimes when he gets off work late, he sleeps in here so as to not wake his woman.
    Makes it hard to do any audio work, too.
    Greg
    post edited by 57Gregy - 2007/02/17 23:32:04

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    switchdoc
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: How do you have your "studio" set up? 2007/02/18 00:00:40 (permalink)
    My setup is kinda of a combined "Office/Home Studio" and the whole thing is in a big "L" shape following the wall. I have a large PC desk with all the normal PC stuff on it, then a dresser in the corner (used for storage, not clothes) with a printer, wireless antenna, wireless keyboard and mouse receiver, and the Omega Home Studio device on it.

I tried just a "X" keyboard stand when I originally got my Yamaha, but I found it wobbly. So, I went out and found a second computer desk that was wide enough and deep enough (just barely) to hold the keyboard. Thats on the other wall forming the "L". I ran an extender cable to a second computer monitor over there which sits on a platform on top and it has an under-drawer for a second PC keyboard and mouse. Since mine are wireless, I just move them back and forth between desks, and set the second PC monitor up so both monitors are combined, and drag whatever Apps I need over so they show on the second monitor. Underneath that is a nice spot for my little 15w Amp and music books, ect.

Next to that is my guitar stand and then continuing around we get to a TV that doesn't work because its stuck on a weird channel and I can't find the remote, all the Internet and Cable stuff, and then my wife's desk. I've got so many power adaptors in here, I am pretty sure the block browns out when we're both using our stuff at the same time.

The only thing I have found to be a problem with my setup is that the computer desk was made so that it would be the correct height for using a PC keyboard on the under-drawer. The Yamaha sits about a foot higher, which means when I wheel my chair over, it's too low and playing is awkward. I need to buy some type of padded cushion to raise me up a little bit, but for now I've been sitting on a well built CD case

--Switch
    post edited by switchdoc - 2007/02/20 23:08:01

The more I read these forums, the more my head hurts.
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: How do you have your "studio" set up? 2007/02/19 02:40:45 (permalink)
    Mine is a lot like SwitchDocs, i have a corner desk with a top hutch, i have the comptuer under the desk with the monitor in the corner and a small CD/DVD/MP3 player next to it with my behringer mixer on top of that. 5then next to that is a wireless headphone set. under the desk is an aluminum case that holds most of my cables and mikes. in the closet is three guitars and some shoes. i hide the mike stand in the corner and break it out once and a while to sing. I hope that some i can build a dedicated system for my studio and i can get more detailed with things but for now this is it.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1