real time mixing

Author
defcondunn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/02/21 10:22:22 (permalink)

real time mixing

I just wanted to know what the thoughts on sending all the audio tracks out to the mixer and then back to the program, recording them all on separte tracks for the the final mix. Forgive my stupidity if this is a ridiculous idea.

9 Replies Related Threads

themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 10:35:59 (permalink)
    Some people send each track from their DAW to a mixer and record the stereo mix to the DAW or some other recorder. What you're suggesting would mean you're mixing the song twice; once on a mixer and once inside the DAW. I don't see any benefits with that method.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    defcondunn
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 10:59:33 (permalink)
    What about adding an external effect that I have in my rack to the track. What would be the best way to add this to the track if I don't want to initially track with th effect?
    studio1000b
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 11:05:43 (permalink)
    What kind of effect? Is it something you cant use a plug in for ?
    defcondunn
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 11:14:29 (permalink)
    It's a $1200 T.C. vocal processor, so I hope that they haven't made a plug-in that can get the same sound!
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 11:20:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: defcondunn

I just wanted to know what the thoughts on sending all the audio tracks out to the mixer and then back to the program, recording them all on separte tracks for the the final mix. Forgive my stupidity if this is a ridiculous idea.

Lots of people use external hardware mixers, me for instance
    but, like midiroom mentioned, not to re-record them as separate tracks.
    People also use external hardware fx's.
    I've never done it as I have a digital mixer with built in fx,
    but I believe you'd use a Sonar bus and output through your interface, into your fx mod and back in.
    That may be incorrect, so do a search as I've seen it discussed before.

RLD
    themidiroom
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 13:21:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RLD
    Lots of people use external hardware mixers, me for instance

RLD,
    I'm curious about your mix setup. Do you run individual tracks from the DAW to the mixer or do you use it to sum your buses? How much I/O do you have and what kind of mixer do you use?
    There's such a debate about mixing in the box or out. I mix in Pro Tools and couldn't begin to come up with the cash to buy enough I/O to send each track to a mixer.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 13:40:58 (permalink)
    Hey Midi,
    I use a Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer so I have 16 (up to 32) ADAT channels, plus SPDIF.
    I use a Frontier Dakota card.
    I basically leave everything on individual channels in Sonar, route to my mixer,
    send over SPDIF to a TC Electronic Finalizer for my "mastering" and record the stereo master back in Sonar.
    I'm a one man operation and most of my stuff is pretty simple pop/rock so I have plenty of channels and my PC get along just fine with this setup.
    One day I'm sure I'll do more "in the box" mixing...
    I've been eyeing a RME FF800 or 400, but I'm also trying to live by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it/upgrade it".

RLD
    themidiroom
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/21 13:53:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RLD

Hey Midi,
    I use a Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer so I have 16 (up to 32) ADAT channels, plus SPDIF.
    I use a Frontier Dakota card.
    I basically leave everything on individual channels in Sonar, route to my mixer,
    send over SPDIF to a TC Electronic Finalizer for my "mastering" and record the stereo master back in Sonar.
    I'm a one man operation and most of my stuff is pretty simple pop/rock so I have plenty of channels and my PC get along just fine with this setup.
    One day I'm sure I'll do more "in the box" mixing...
    I've been eyeing a RME FF800 or 400, but I'm also trying to live by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it/upgrade it".

RLD

RLD,
    Thanks for the info. That's pretty cool; so you're running Adat lightpipe to your mixer. I used to run my busses to my mixer and sum them but I got away from that because it was difficult to revise mixers later. I had a client that was always wanting to change mixes. Also some of the mixes I have to do might run 50 or 60 tracks deep.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    B_Nez
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: real time mixing 2007/02/22 07:41:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: defcondunn
    What about adding an external effect that I have in my rack to the track. What would be the best way to add this to the track if I don't want to initially track with th effect?

Absolutely if you have enough inputs/outputs. I do this sometimes with my gear. Just create a track (or bus) send to an unused output(s). Route those outputs to your outboard gear, and the gear's outputs to unused input(s). Record the new track as you playback the song in real time.

Also, if your outboard gear has ADAT or SPDIF or something, you can use that.

MOTU 828mkII, M-Audio Octane
    Event TR-8N, Sonar 6.2.1 Producer
    http://go.berkleemusic.com/Samsound
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=380296
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1