Disappear- need comment on intro

Author
andyriggle
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
2007/02/21 15:39:19 (permalink)

Disappear- need comment on intro

I usually don't play this kind of stuff. But a guy making a video for a band, Iris Pill, wanted a piano into for their song "Disappear." All I had was a Steinway patch for recording. I'm thinking maybe I need to use my Yamaha piano sound, but it's at a gig. Plus I think I need to fill the rest of the song out with piano. Sounds empty after it drops out.

What do you guys think? I'm not easily offended.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/01/default.cfm?bandID=498460&content=music

Regards,

Andy

Yamaha motif ES8, Sonar 8PE, Finale 2010, Sweetwater Creation Station (3.4 GHz, quad core,8GB Ram, Windows 7), Tascam US-1800 audio interface, ART Headamp 6 Pro, Rokit 8 monitors

9 Replies Related Threads

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 16:12:05 (permalink)
    Hey Andy,
    that's incredibly effective, it really misleads the listener so the impact is terrific when the band kicks in.
    I don't think it sounds empty after the drop out as the band has such a huge full sound and the contrast is part of the charm, i'm not sure that piano would suit this track, once it gets going, anyway.
    Excellent job.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 16:12:35 (permalink)
    Hi Andy, as usual, very solid performance on the piano.
    I think (personal taste) the piano intro and the style of the song don't complement each other really well. It is as if these were two different songs ... maybe, if you were to continue playing piano breaks throughout the song (as you suggested above), well maybe that would make a difference, but I doubt it. I am not sure, but I don't think any kind of piano would match the song. Maybe an organ or a rhythm guitar intro would be more suitable ... that of course is just my humble opinion; I'm almost certain others will disagree ...
    Heinz.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 19:27:51 (permalink)
    I can see why you don't like that patch for the piano, but the playing is solid, and I agree that it misleads the listener right into a sonic trap (a good thing). But I'm not so sure that it would be inappropriate for the remainder of the song. Some simple fills might be effective. Good song too, incidentally.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 20:22:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: andyriggle
    I usually don't play this kind of stuff. But a guy making a video for a band, Iris Pill, wanted a piano into for their song "Disappear." All I had was a Steinway patch for recording. I'm thinking maybe I need to use my Yamaha piano sound, but it's at a gig. Plus I think I need to fill the rest of the song out with piano. Sounds empty after it drops out.

What do you guys think? I'm not easily offended.

this is a pretty good song, bass/kick/snare need to come though, or vocal needs to go down a notch... i do not like the piano patch but the playing is spot on. there's too much low-mid in the verb but i'm sure you know that. i would only add the piano in at the chorus, if at all, once the main song kicks in. however that patch will seriously muddy things up in the mix.

- jack the ex-cynic
    bunkaroo
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 20:34:30 (permalink)
    Great stuff!

My comment on the intro would be to cut it in half. Around 0:13 I think it would be cool to start hearing some of the effects that appear later, and have the band kick in at 0:22.

Or just start it at the current 0:25 mark.

It might be cool to hear the piano part come back in parts of the song, but not too prominent in the mix.

And I agree that it does not sound empty when it kicks in-sounds big actually.

post edited by bunkaroo - 2007/02/21 20:56:58
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 23:23:41 (permalink)
    Andy,

Very tasty playing on that piano. Very very nice - as is all of your material. I like the subtle pad behind the piano too, nice touch.

Bill
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/21 23:25:37 (permalink)
    The playing is great, very powerful and moving. I like how it leads into the sonic shift, as others have pointed out.

To my ears, the ambience on the piano intro does not fit. Seems muddled and distant. I am feeling the piano part on Tool's message to Harry Mamback on Aenima. That sound quality with this playing would fit, IMO.

I like the song very much.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/22 02:01:55 (permalink)
    Lovely Song!!

nice psych out at the start,.........i have 5.1 Sony surround sound, lets just say
    when it kicked in i jumped a little hahaha
    andyriggle
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Disappear- need comment on intro 2007/02/23 00:18:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to re-record the piano as soon as I get my Yamaha back home. The piano patch I used was recorded in a huge concert hall, and I had to compress it pretty hard to get it loud enough. The verb's pretty bad and puts the piano in a weird place in the mix.

Andy

Yamaha motif ES8, Sonar 8PE, Finale 2010, Sweetwater Creation Station (3.4 GHz, quad core,8GB Ram, Windows 7), Tascam US-1800 audio interface, ART Headamp 6 Pro, Rokit 8 monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1