Dimension Pro Question(s)

Author
CyberFyber
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2007/02/21 22:04:00 (permalink)

Dimension Pro Question(s)

Hi, I'm considering buying Dimension Pro soon, but am curious about its true capabilities.

I read someplace how it's not a stand-alone product which is kinda okay for me since I've also got Acid Music Studio.

My problems are as such: I've got a Yamaha Keyboard with USB connect, and well everything simply doesn't work as well as I'd wish with Sony's Acid Music Studio. Meaning that I can record digitally to the PC but only Piano Notes. Meaning that any Voice I choose on the Keyboard just doesn't truly get recorded. I can hear them on the PC as I play them (You know, tuba, violin, choir, churchBells, etc, etc) but it just never sticks. In the end all I get are actual piano keys.

SO, does Dimension Pro work better in this capacity? Can I record the actual music, instruments and such from the keyboard onto the Dimension Pro without succumbing to using the program's synths?

Mind you, I've already got a PC and will get a MAC soon which will be in my living room beside my keyboard. Thus the reason for my considering Dimension Pro, since it can be installed on Windows or the MAC.

I'd truly appreciate any feedback, suggestions and whatever else.

Thanks in advance.

How Do Dey Do Dat?

13 Replies Related Threads

vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/21 23:15:50 (permalink)
    It sounds like your problem is that Acid Music Studio isn't set up properly. In that case case you should expect the same problems with Dimension Pro since it is just a plugin and Acid is the host.

Can I record the actual music, instruments and such from the keyboard onto the Dimension Pro without succumbing to using the program's synths?

Im not sure what you mean by that since Dimension Pro is a synth. Any recording you would do would normally be into the host (Acid).
    post edited by vintagevibe - 2007/02/21 23:41:24
    CyberFyber
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/21 23:24:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: vintagevibe

It sounds like your problem is that Acid Music Studio isn't set up properly. In that case case you should expect the same problems with Dimension Pro since it is just a plugin and Acid is the host.

Hmmm, thanks VintageVibe.

But may I ask if you know this as a fact because you've knowledge of Acid or because it's a general presumption?

Please, I'm neither trying to be smart nor am I questioning your knowledge. Hey, I'm still a big neubie. Without knowing you I RESPECT your input, really I DO.

It's just that I've tried everything under the sun and have been up and down the 'Forum Avenue' asking my questions and nothing as of yet has fixed my problems.

If you're willing to put up with another question, ya think that maybe something like SONAR Power Studio will be the surest way to go without fail? Since it includes actual hardware interaction?
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/22 00:43:11 (permalink)
    Acid should record your keyboard. I don't use it much (it runs real slow on my system) and I've never used it to record linear music, but it should work just like all the other synths.

Try hooking up your yama via the line outs into your line inputs on your soundcard (you don't mention what kind you have- but I suppose it is something more than an onboard soundcard). Otherwise, if your yama outputs sound via the usb interface you can use that. Look under options>preferences>audio devices and see what hardware input is available. This is not midi, but sound.

Midi is simply info that tells your computer to tell an external synth or internal softsynth to play this note at this time at this velocity and hold it for this long (it can tell a lot more, but that is the basis). It is like typing on your keyboard into MS Word. You can edit it after the fact. The midi info from your keyboard is recorded to the computer and then from the computer is later re-routed back to your synth or another synth. What you hear when you play the keyboard itself is the yama midi playing itself. If you want to record the actual sound you need to use a LINE output/input. If you want to record the midi performance you need to use a midi in/out.

Dimension is a softsynth - a synth your computer powers (just like the yama cpu inside your keyboard). It is a rompler like most Yama keyboards. You can grab samples (snippets) of a sound, but only use them as oscillators within Dimension, rather than capturing an entire performance.

hope this helps.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/22 11:36:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CyberFyber

ORIGINAL: vintagevibe

But may I ask if you know this as a fact because you've knowledge of Acid or because it's a general presumption?

I don't know Acid but what I stated is most likely true because all the problems you mentioned have to do with setting up your controller (Yamaha Keyboard) with with Acid. I suppose there is a senerio where your setup would not work correctly the way you are trying it but would work correctly with Dimension Pro but I think that is unlikely. My advice is that you need to understand MIDI and how to correctly set up Acid AND your keyboard. Since I have no experience with your Keyboard or Acid I can't help with specifices. Try going through your manuals again.
    CyberFyber
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/22 13:48:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT
    Try hooking up your yama via the line outs into your line inputs on your soundcard (you don't mention what kind you have- but I suppose it is something more than an onboard soundcard). Otherwise, if your yama outputs sound via the usb interface you can use that. Look under options>preferences>audio devices and see what hardware input is available. This is not midi, but sound.

Yah, I've been down that route a hundred times already. As I understand it, it's a choice between doing Audio through the audio jack which works quite fine OR doing Midi through the USB which records simply piano notes as I'd mentioned.
    My reasoning behind preferring Midi is only because it's all digital with truly clear sound. Through Audio on the other hand there is that 'noise' and slight 'feedback'.

Midi is simply info that tells your computer to tell an external synth or internal softsynth to play this note at this time at this velocity and hold it for this long (it can tell a lot more, but that is the basis). It is like typing on your keyboard into MS Word. You can edit it after the fact. The midi info from your keyboard is recorded to the computer and then from the computer is later re-routed back to your synth or another synth. What you hear when you play the keyboard itself is the yama midi playing itself. If you want to record the actual sound you need to use a LINE output/input. If you want to record the midi performance you need to use a midi in/out.

I think I'm getting what you're saying. And I guess everything is working as it should...I figure.
    Heck, I can insert a softsynth instrument within Acid Studio and play it using the keyboard....and yes, it works that way. I guess I thought things would've been better than they are.

Does what I'm saying make sense? Hmmm, hope so. 'or am I way off base in my understanding of all this?
    BTW, thanks for the reply.

How Do Dey Do Dat?
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/28 09:21:00 (permalink)

Heck, I can insert a softsynth instrument within Acid Studio and play it using the keyboard....and yes, it works that way. I guess I thought things would've been better than they are.

Does what I'm saying make sense? Hmmm, hope so. 'or am I way off base in my understanding of all this?

CyberFyber,
    I have Sony Acid Studio 6 ....and I like it ...
    got it after getting beat on E Bay for Acid Pro 5
    also have the Dimension Pro...Exellent Synth..
    I just opened a Midi file and selected the Dimension Pro as my play back synth.....
    to make the Dimension Pro an audio track, you do that by rendering it ...in Acid Studio
    the drop down menue has a Render As option .....in my case I looped the whole track
    the audio track I did is now a 16 bit wave ...
    If you want to just record midi and then use a diferent soft synth later on...record your midi tracks ...however you feel comfortable and then save the file as a Sony Acid Project file ...then you can add whatever synths you want later....or change them to your taste
    the render as will convert the softsynths to audio
    ex
    Wave , MP3 ......WMA....
    which you can add and loop and chop to pieces...and incorporate in projects.....

hope this helps some
    Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/02/28 09:44:56

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

CyberFyber
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/28 10:08:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kennywtelejazz

CyberFyber,
    I have Sony Acid Studio 6 ....and I like it ...
    got it after getting beat on E Bay for Acid Pro 5
    also have the Dimension Pro...Exellent Synth..
    I just opened a Midi file and selected the Dimension Pro as my play back synth.....
    to make the Dimension Pro an audio track, you do that by rendering it ...in Acid Studio
    the drop down menue has a Render As option .....in my case I looped the whole track
    the audio track I did is now a 16 bit wave ...
    If you want to just record midi and then use a diferent soft synth later on...record your midi tracks ...however you feel comfortable and then save the file as a Sony Acid Project file ...then you can add whatever synths you want later....or change them to your taste
    the render as will convert the softsynths to audio
    ex
    Wave , MP3 ......WMA....
    which you can add and loop and chop to pieces...and incorporate in projects.....

hope this helps some
    Kenny

yeah Kenny, thanks. I'm familiarizing myself a whole lot more now with Acid Studio capabilities. All I had to do to perk my interest was to begin downloading free soft Synths here and there.
    Please tell me though, is Dimension Pro truly 'All That'? Somehow I've no doubt, but I'm thinking about the price tag. I COULD get a major discount as a student, but just wondering is all. To be honest, I'm excited to be getting back into all of this [even as a newbie] after having taken off for a few days to deal with other obligations.

How Do Dey Do Dat?
    ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/28 12:36:48 (permalink)
    CyberFyber,

To play non piano sounds from your keyboard via MIDI, then you will likely need to tell ACID which program to use when it plays back the MIDI you record. It sounds like you're recording the MIDI note information (be aware that this is just instructions as to what note to play when, and how loudly, and encodes nothing at all about the sound itself) OK to a track in ACID. The problem is that when you play the MIDI data back to the keyboard, the keyboard is reverting to the piano sound, which I would guess is the first patch in bank 1 of your keyboard. If you want to play back a different sound, I would think you'll need to tell ACID which sound that is, this is the MIDI program number, and can be changed using a 'patch change' event (look through the ACID manual for that, and through your keyboard manual to find which program number corresponds to which sound on your keyboard).

What you're trying to do should be possible; a better source of information about the issues you're having with ACID might be to go to an ACID user's forum (not trying to be rude, but you're more likely to find ACID users in such a place and I'm sure you'll find more useful replies about your ACID issues there).

As for Dimension, it's a great program and will probably be a better source of sounds than your yamaha keyboard, but I'd recommend getting a hang of your recording system before splashing out $250 on another piece of software.

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/28 20:18:54 (permalink)
    I bet your Yamaha keyboard is set to multitimbral mode as default. and if that is the case the piano patch is channel one, sequencer and midi. Now you can change the track one midi channel one on the Yamaha to anything you want. and you can have midi from Sonar feeding 16 different channels to that keyboard depending on what the model you have.

To get the audio from the keyboard to the computer record the midi to Sonar then record to audio one instrument at a time into Sonar using the computer to trigger the sounds.

If you were using any kind of softsynth you could record the midi then edit/bounce to track and the compouter would create one stereo audio track new and write the audio to it. almost that fast.
    CyberFyber
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/28 21:28:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lawapa

I bet your Yamaha keyboard is set to multitimbral mode as default. and if that is the case the piano patch is channel one, sequencer and midi. Now you can change the track one midi channel one on the Yamaha to anything you want. and you can have midi from Sonar feeding 16 different channels to that keyboard depending on what the model you have.

To get the audio from the keyboard to the computer record the midi to Sonar then record to audio one instrument at a time into Sonar using the computer to trigger the sounds.

If you were using any kind of softsynth you could record the midi then edit/bounce to track and the compouter would create one stereo audio track new and write the audio to it. almost that fast.

Hello and thanks Iawapa, and no, I'm not offended. Actually, I HAVE been to other ACID forums and this is the first place that someone's been able to put things in better perspective regarding my situation. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm looking forward to going forward with my acceptance of the situation as it is. 'best regards,...
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/02/28 22:42:33 (permalink)
    Opps Acid not Sonar. But hey it works just a tad different. I use Vegas 6/SoundForge.

Recording midi from an external keyboad is similer. then just set a stereo track to record the audio and press play on the midi track.

I have a few external boxes left but I use mostly all softsynths now, everything stays in the box, and when I need audio I bounce and go from there. An interenal softsynth bounce is fast, no levels to set, no external noise to deal with.

Oh and I do use Sonar, P5 and have Dpro, Rapture, Z3ta, Pentagon. Having that much power in the box makes doing it fun.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/03/01 00:16:20 (permalink)
    CyberFyber,
    Is the Dimension Pro Truly all that ?
    Yeah I would would say so ....
    +1 for any synth Rene has done....
    top notch all across the board his instruments.

I'm very happy with the Dim Pro and I feel it to be my main go to synth...

Recently somewhere on the forums a few fellas mentioned that Guitar Center was having a sale on the Z3TA+ for $ 99.00 .
    I needed a souncard for my other computer first so I got the card ,
    I did manange to download the Z3TA+ demo and man ....I love that synth....
    I'm gonna be real sad when the demo expires
    If you havn't tried that one yet download the demo
    The Z3TA+ Kicks Butt...
    Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/03/01 00:40:07

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

CyberFyber
    RE: Dimension Pro Question(s) 2007/03/02 11:27:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kennywtelejazz
    Recently somewhere on the forums a few fellas mentioned that Guitar Center was having a sale on the Z3TA+ for $ 99.00 .
    I needed a souncard for my other computer first so I got the card ,
    I did manange to download the Z3TA+ demo and man ....I love that synth....
    I'm gonna be real sad when the demo expires
    If you havn't tried that one yet download the demo
    The Z3TA+ Kicks Butt...
    Kenny

Oh Man!...I'M IN LOVE!
    'Downloaded the demo and there I was dancing in my chair to that awesome techno beat of Z3TA+ . Geez, I can't get over how it's so clear, crisp and cool. Thanks for mentioning it Kenny.

Just called my local Guitar Center Store to make sure they had it and that it wasn't just an online special. YUP! They've got it for $99.99 IN STORE and the fella mentioned that they pronounce it as: ZETA.

Soooo, off I go this evening to get it before this sale runs out.

How Do Dey Do Dat?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1