Getting Hosed at Winfield?

Author
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
2007/02/25 14:17:06 (permalink)

Getting Hosed at Winfield?

I decided to enter the songwriter's showcase instrumental category this past year at the Walnut Valley Championships (where the grand national instrumental championships are held every year) and failed to win, or even place. Of the four winning songs, I could only manage to find two on the internet. Now one of them was a winning entry by Don Alder who is an outstanding guitarist and I don't mind losing to him at all! You can listen to his winning entry at his myspace page. It's called "He said, she said". Don's a rarity at Winfield though. The judges have leaned heavily toward new age noodling for the past several years in my opinion.

Here's the song that placed third. I won't tell you the performer's name--I have nothing against him/her. I don't think it's a bad song, but I also don't think there's much to it. It's kind of new agey sounding to me.

Here are my two entries:

Song 1 (This song has a slow intro but then takes off).

Song 2

I mean, really, I'm trying to be objective about things, and I think I can be big enough to admit when someone has bettered me (as in Don's case), but I can't believe this third place winner had a better tune than either of the ones I submitted. He's just not doing much at all. Am I actually worse than this? You can be honest with me. Maybe I've just been fooling myself all these years, but I honestly thought I was better than this. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel.
post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/02/26 00:37:10

23 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 14:34:29 (permalink)
    Am I actually worse than this?

Nope.

But it's a tough one Bill, I mean, how on earth can you judge such different styles against each other?. I mean, they're all played on guitar, but this kind of thing is so subjective I really wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 14:40:40 (permalink)
    Hey Joe

I'm still waiting for James' track to load, but gave both of yours a listen.
    While I think they are both very good, especially chops-wise...the recordings sound quite heavy handed with lots of distracting string noise. I realize it's a percussive feel, especially on the first tune, but it seemed harsh to my ears. The quieter passages were great though.
    How close was the mic when recording?

Hmm, James' track is a bit muddy...even boomy, but overall is more refined sounding. Maybe this is where it got the vote.
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 14:48:27 (permalink)
    Joe Bravo (Bill),

Ah .. the eternal struggle.

I listened to the 3rd place song and your 2 entries. Let me start by saying that it is so difficult to say which tune among several is 'better' without stating some kind of objective or subjective criteria against which the tune will be judged. Better mix clarity, better depth perception, better expression of a particular mood or genre, emotional transparency, etc. Without such stated criteria 'better' or 'worse' usually boils down to more of an indication of the listener's preference than the quality of the tune or the playing. Popularity is not necessarily a reliable indicator of quality.

The 3rd place song has a nice smooth gentle motion about it - the mix quality seemed a bit low to me but that could be due to my headphones or the mp3 conversion. Your tunes show great dexterity and accomplishment on your instrument, perhaps with a bit more intensity than the 3rd place song. I think it was your second tune that immediately put me in mind of Leo Kottke. Great company indeed.

I struggled with the 'what's the use?' question for a really long time, and still do a couple of times a week. For me, it helps to remind myself that with music, art, all expression really, it is more about honesty, doing your best, and just giving what you have to give. If that blesses someone, great. If not, well it was a learning experience anyway.

Don't toss in the towel .. give youself some time to put this in persepctive. Winning (or not winning) a competition, as frustrating as that is for you right now, is not an indication of the quality of your expression or of yourself.

Think about this: Charlie Chaplain once came in 3rd in a Charlie Chaplain look-alike contest.

Bill
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 15:58:59 (permalink)
    It's not a contest of recording ability; it's a song writing contest. If a judge can't look past the recording quality then they shouldn't be judging. I guess I have a problem with someone just playing the same simple chords over and over for five minutes and winning a contest. It's like something I would have done when I was in high school.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/02/25 16:34:15
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 16:17:43 (permalink)
    What was the actual criteria for the contest?
    If it was for a raw live recording, then you have an argument, but if they don't specify, you only hurt yourself by not presenting the track in it's best light.

Personally, I'd have used some mild compression on the pre to tame the heavy stuff, while the gentle stuff would be virtually unaffected. Even objective judges like to hear smoothness in a mix I would think. IMO

Cool tracks none-the-less. Very live sounding.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 16:31:24 (permalink)
    "What was the actual criteria for the contest?"

The notes you play, like with any song writng contest. I never record acoustic guitar without compressing at 4:1, but you can't really dig into a fretboard and not pickup a little harshness. It's just the nature of the beast when you're playing hard. Anybody can get a good recording playing soft and easy.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/02/25 16:54:50
    Marko
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 364
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 16:41:09 (permalink)
    Joe,

Nod is a very nice tune Joe. The tempo shifts and dynamics are nicely played. The interjection of harmonics is a quite a surprise.

Who knows what the criteria are for these contests?! I don't mind if criteria are subjective--as long as they are made known and are not arbitrary.

What did you do for those last four notes? (Did you get inspired by the doorbell?)

Don't ever stop.

Marko
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 17:06:03 (permalink)
    If I can be honest, I thought yours sounded, I don't know, messy ? The playing was great, but they sounded messy. The 3rd place guy sounded way more clean, and I would of picked his song too. It's not that you can't play, it's just that your 2 songs were too "slappy" (not sloppy) and I hearded your fingers sliding on the strings more than the notes. But, in all fairness, I didn't care for the 3rd place guy's either. Just saying if I had to choose... But, you also called his "new age", and to me, his sounded like 16th century, while yours sounded far, far more modern. Esp the second tune, that sounded like bluegrass to me, so what do I know.

edit, dont trow in the towel though, just because of a contest. My style of music, makes most people run, and hide, but alot of other people love it, so don't let it bug ya.
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/02/25 17:31:04
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:14:13 (permalink)
    "Who knows what the criteria are for these contests?! I don't mind if criteria are subjective--as long as they are made known and are not arbitrary."

No criteria really, just keep the tune under a certain length. Boy, it's just gotten to be a sad state of affairs at Winfield. Pretty much everybody's been complaining about it for a few years now. Last time I competed on stage out there, I knew I muffed a couple of notes, but dang it, I played the toughest material there. I don't think anybody can play all the quick little runs in those songs note perfect. My hat would be off to anybody who could. And I had a buddy from Kentucky who played brilliantly who didn't make it past the semi-finals. Afterwards we both had complete strangers coming up to us saying we should have won. There were a bunch of guys in that situation though. I think the whole crowd was dumbfounded when the final three were announced. One guy went back stage and really got in a judge's face over the ordeal. I just went home and never went back. But hey, what are ya gonna do? I listened to this little doodling recording last night for the first time that that guy placed third with, and thought to myself how there must have been a ton of really good guitar players (many of them probably better than me) who must feel royally crapped on right now.

Life is like that though I guess. I remember reading where Madeleine L'Engle's classic novel, A Wrinkle in Time, was rejected by 40-publishers over a two year period before someone finally went for it. It went on to win a Newbery Medal in 1963.... There are two rules in American culture: 1) People are stupid. 2) You can't fix stupid.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:16:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, Bill, you know how it goes.

For what it's worth, I'd rather listen to your playing than that mumble jumble pseudo Renaissance thing, but the didn't ask me to judge.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:25:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo
    I guess I have a problem with someone just playing the same simple chords over and over for five minutes and winning a contest. It's like something I would have done when I was in high school.

No, Joe - your problem is not the song, or those simple chords - your problem is the fact you actually 'lost' in a competition.
    It's never fun to 'lose'. Just think of all the people involved with those movies tonight, who are nominated for Oscars ... only one in each category will win. You bet, some of the 'losers' will think "my goodness, how can THAT movie win, or THAT actor?" It's all relative - and judges will be judges. You might think your song was much 'better' than 3rd Place Guys' song. But, that's what YOU think. The judges, obviously had a different thought. All this is part of a competition. They judge, and you (and your competition) are the ones to be judged. You didn't win this time? So what? Step down from your high horse and don't throw in your towel, man, submit your next song to the next competition. Don't cry over this one - move on!
    Just my 2cents
    Heinz.

msharps
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:48:14 (permalink)
    Joe, please don't throw in the towel! I hate contests because they are so subjective and biased based on the judges personal preferences. Write, play, and record because you love music... it is a gift. I very much enjoyed both of your entries. I love the percussive jam of the first song, and I personally like that "slappy", "buzzy" sound! Great compostion, excellent chops... who cares what the "judges" think! Press on! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Michael Sharps

Sonar 6 PE; MOTU 8pre; Glyph GT 050Q 200GB External HD
    Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:52:27 (permalink)
    "No, Joe - your problem is not the song, or those simple chords - your problem is the fact you actually 'lost' in a competition."

Hardly. But you can't think that if you want to.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/02/26 00:21:34
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:54:28 (permalink)
    Michael Sharps, you sir are a gentleman. And I thank you. And you're right, there will be no more competitions for me.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/25 23:58:11 (permalink)
    "For what it's worth, I'd rather listen to your playing than that mumble jumble pseudo Renaissance thing, but the didn't ask me to judge."

Well, if you were the judge I would consider competing again. As long as you're not going to be one of those player-judges, like Michael Jordan was a player-coach. I'd much rather play for you than against you (having heard you play).

PS to all,

I should have made it more clear, Winfield has a songwriting competition now where you can mail in entries. That's not to be confused with a playing competition where you go to the festival and compete in front of a crowd. I haven't done that in at least 6 or 7 years, and I only entered the writing contest once this past year. Actually, it wasn't all bad. I did get a very nice note from Kelly and Donna, the two girls who ran the songwriting showcase, saying how much they liked what I sent in. But they were out-voted. I wonder how many other judges were women too? I'm guessing that might have something to do with why some of this silly new age stuff has been winning out there. Just a hunch though, but I know that woman buy a lot more of those kinds of records than men do.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/02/26 00:35:27
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 00:32:59 (permalink)
    Hi Bill,
    I just listened to your 2 and the 3rd place winner.....

the 3rd place tune is a 12 string?

that tune was OK for all of about 2 min's ,
    then I found myself jumping the slider to hear if it changed gears...

the second song I listened to was your tune that starts of slow and picks up speed
    that sounded thin to me after the 12 string ......
    ( not a criticisim I listened to all 3 one at a time with out changing a thing over here..)

you did take chances and played your AXE .....
    and I think your song was a good listen...and had some real nice moments in your playing

IMO your second song felt a little fast ...I think if you played it with some chops left on tap...it would have came off more powerfull......
    once again I felt you played good and I give you respect.

As far as the contest and all that jazz....I can't offer my 2 cent's on it ,I wasn't a part of it

I will offer my 2 cents on solo acoustic playing though.

My hat is tipped to anyone who can pull it off with soul...

Guitar is no respector of persons......when played in a solo fashon ........with out back up
    if it ain't happenenig in the moment
    it ain't happening....period
    don't matter who you are
    or who you used to be
    Solo guitar playing don't lie...
    it's not for the faint of heart and it takes courage to lay it on the line...my friend
    As far as what people think....
    sure ....I care....if I post a solo guitar song it's nice to get a pat on the back..from time to time...and maby win a prize......
    My real motivation always has been to play my self out of the Ghetto
    where I'm originaly from
    I 've never owned a Martin or a great acoustic...even to this day
    My box don't even have a solid top
    The world is full of people that have emm though...and faster cars and bigger wallets...
    ................Bill don't loose hope ....
    the higher up the food chain you go with the better guitarists
    the more merit based it is
    I've played solo acousitic most of my life , and I find it to have rewards that are priceless
    It is My Refuge to play acousticly for the sake of the moment...
    with no goal other than the enjoyment and discovery of a musical moment that satisfies
    my soul.

Bill, like I said my friend...
    I tip my hat to you and give you my respect ...
    you keep playing no matter what ...
    Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 05:01:11 (permalink)
    I didn't care much for nod, but the second one wasn't without it's charm. I actually didn't like the 3rd place winner's song much really. You know, you seem to have your own way of playing the guitar...it's very percussive and all that...some people...maybe the judges...can come from a more traditional background where the guitar is played and not hit. Anyway, you listen to Tommy Emanuelle and listen to his hitting of the guitar, he's a damn good percussive player obviously. But the judges...who knows...

Anyhoo, keep on truckin'
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 11:08:52 (permalink)
    My hat is tipped to anyone who can pull it off with soul...

That is such a good point that is easy to lose site of after the 15th take of a song that's hard to perform (note to self, remember what Kenny said).

Joe, congrats on those songs, I think you could argue that yours was the most technically difficult. And, thanks for the link to Don Alder, it's not a song in the contest but I love his tune "Meeting Pierre".

But for the subjective part, all those tunes are good.

Who's better - Jimi Hendrix, Larry Carlton or Joe Pass? I say, who cares, I would never rank them - they're all great. Music isn't a competition.
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 12:59:49 (permalink)
    Bravo Joe – your guitar playing is expressive and gutsy – to my ears way beyond the Renaissance Fair 12 string sleep-fest, but that’s just me. I can’t say what’s better, only what I like. Win or lose, playing your heart out and pushing for performance excellence is what makes the human being an interesting life form. Keep on pushin’ (as Curtis would say).
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 16:48:36 (permalink)
    I cant think of any other type of contest more pointless than a music one. Its like having a "what's the best color" contest. I have been in a couple of these type of "songwriting" contests, and won some and lost some. I have tried not to put too much weight on either outcome. Don Alder is pretty amazing, never heard of him before. The third place winner's song was pretty boring to me, never seemed to go anywhere. Song 1 of yours was really interesting, like others though, I thought the recording was a bit harsh sounding. Song 2 I didn't really care for. While I liked the note choice and progression, the peice sounded a bit rushed and the harshness is really punching through on this one. I believe recording quality might have played a larger role than intended here. (wich it usually does) Your obviously a great player and even thinking of "throwing in the towel" over something like this is a tad silly.

Btw, who are the judges? how good are their tunes? do they even play? lol

Ed Edge

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 17:08:24 (permalink)
    Its like having a "what's the best color" contest.

I think you're right Ed. I can't see how you can judge one song to be 'better' than another.

If all contestants played the same piece it could be judged on technique, but otherwise it's completely abitrary or down to personal taste, mood on the day, etc.

The no. 3 tune might be boring and repetitive to us, but it could be right at the top end of the guy's ability, and he could be proud of his effort same as anyone else.

Thing is Bill, if the judges are so bad, would you want them to judge your tune 'the best' anyway?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    GPM
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 19:11:39 (permalink)
    It's the moustache Joe Bravo. You shaved your moustache and it made you lose the contest! BTW...you look better without.....not that you give a _______ what I think about that! The 3rd place song bored me and was muddy. Yours sounded a little messy but was much more fun to listen to. Maybe the problem was that your song did not have a repetative chord structure or melody that was played over and over until it got stuck in the judges heads. And perhaps it changes tempo and styles too much for what they were looking for. Hell I don't know!
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Getting Hosed at Winfield? 2007/02/26 21:40:41 (permalink)
    I thank everybody for all the comments. I've often wondered if the fairest way to have a songwriting contest might not be to have everyone submit sheet music instead of recordings. Not everyone can be a virtuoso player, but any good writer should be able to write a piece of music for a virtuoso to play. Also, while these writing contests at Winfield aren't really worth anything monetarily, I should point out that the performance contests do have a lot of money on the line. The three best in every category receive top flight instruments, whether competing in guitar, banjo, or whatever. The three guitars given out at the fingerpicking contest last time I was there were valued between 3 and 5 thousand dollars each. I think that's a lot of money to hand out willy-nilly to some new age guy that's only been playing for three years and can only play simple chords over and over.

I don't agree that music is somehow subjective. I believe in universal beauty as much as I believe in universal morality. And I believe there are those who have simply lost their way, and in doing so, have disconnected to what is good and proper to the point where they've lost their God given conscience and guiding voice of reason. I believe that all beings on Earth, or on other planets if there are such beings on them, were born with the same standards. I believe that wherever I go in the world I should always find that it's wrong to steal, wrong to be a coward, and wrong to cook your enemies and eat them. There may be those who do such things, and who say that it's "just part of our culture" or some other such excuse, but I'll never buy it. I believe that there is beautiful and ugly music just as much as I believe there is proper and improper behavior. In no way do I adhere to the old and insensible adage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is the same everywhere, for everyone, unless they've lost their way. Or, as Larry Norman said, "Once there was a tune, and everybody knew it. But eventually people began to forget. And in time, many even came to doubt that there ever was a tune." If you don't believe that, well, you don't have to. There is such a thing as free will. I realize it's a spiritual thing. And no one will ever convince me that someone playing the same few chords over and over, with no definable melody, is making beautiful music. They've just barely reached above the level of chaos. They're nowhere near the complexity of the divine. And that's what all good musicians are shooting for--to do something beyond themselves. Pardon me for waxing poetically. But that's what I feel from deep within.

Gotta go, peace,

Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1