Looking for someone to mix a song

Author
Franco_ontarien
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
2007/02/26 08:44:39 (permalink)

Looking for someone to mix a song

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone with experience on mixing to mix one of my song.
I'm going to learn by what you did and I'm going to use this as a reference to mix my other song.
I know a litle on panning but I need help with EQ, reverb thing like that. I need a diferent point of view from mine.

It's a Country Music song in French with vocal, back vocal, accoustic guitar, lead guitar, Steel guitar, violon, piano and midi drum convert to audio. I'm doing this for fun so I'm looking for someone who is going to do this for fun.

I have high speed and I wish to send all the file via msn.

Thanks!

22 Replies Related Threads

Gareth
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/26 17:40:48 (permalink)
    Bonsoir Franco
    Why not do it yourself?!
    Check out postings by 'yep' on EQ ing compresion etc. He's the 'guvnor'!
    Bon chance, Gareth

Check out: htpp://www.cognac-countryhouse.com

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/26 19:29:48 (permalink)
    What a coincidence! I'm looking for someone too, someone who will tune up my car and change the oil. Maybe even replace that timing gear. Just for fun, of course. Any takers?
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/27 08:55:00 (permalink)
    Your best bet would be to ask local studios about an engineer familiar with Sonar, and hire him (or her) for a day.
    But learning to mix is going to take you A LOT longer than watching a couple of songs being mixed.

For a good reference, buy "The Art Of Mixing" by David Gibson, and one of the Sonar Power! books by Scott Garrigus. They helped me tremendously.

post edited by Slugbaby - 2007/02/27 09:18:11

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/27 09:11:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, Slugbaby! I appreciate your support.

And for those that don't know... you can find more info in the Power Books section of my site:
    http://www.garrigus.com/

And be sure to check out my free music technology newsletter:
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
    ** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
    http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Smart Loops Sample Loops Collection and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/27 15:02:58 (permalink)
    Franco_ontarien, over at the Cakewalk Songs Forum (user the jump box at the bottom of this Forum) there are people collaborating on projects. Your inquiry will probably be better received there. Despite some replies you've had here, you haven't asked for something crazy.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/27 21:09:24 (permalink)
    Franco,

Some things to keep in mind along with this idea of learning by seeing someone else's mix settings:

1. In order to be able to tell what they did, you and the mix engineer must have the exact same plugin effects installed the same way. So you will want to make sure that both parties are exclusively using built-in Sonar effects from a default installation, preferably from the same version of Sonar (or whatever program you use). Otherwise, when you try to open their mix, your version of Sonar won't recognize the effects!

2. It is very likely that someone on these forums will be glad to do a mix for free for you. However, it is also very likely that person will also be a beginner to some degree, someone who does their own music for fun, and not a professional engineer. So you might end up with a mix that maybe isn't really using the best techniques. That said, there's certainly nothing wrong with swapping ideas with other amateurs, just be careful to take it with a grain of salt.

3. If you want to make better mixes, it is very important to understand the theory and the technique, and not simply to copy the same settings for every song. Even if you always use the same instruments in every song, the settings may be quite different.

For instance, if a song is in a different key, then individual instruments will occupy different frequency ranges and call for different eq settings. If one song has a hard-driving, uptempo feel, then it will probably have very different dynamics and call for different compression settings than a slow, mournful ballad. Likewise, a slower song will usually require quite different reverb settings than a fast song will.

Unfortunately, there is no "magic recipe" of effects that makes for a good mix every time. If there were, we wouldn't need to have knobs on the effects! So it is still important to learn how to hear the effects of compression, and to learn how to use equalizers to sculpt the sound, and so on.

Cheers.
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/27 22:59:38 (permalink)

...how large are your files? Let me know. Also, you can always send me a DVD of the files - or better - the .CWB

Which version of Sonar are you using?

P.S. I'm about 2 hours from you.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    soniclabsaudio
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/02/28 17:26:08 (permalink)
    You should check us out at myspace.com/soniclabsaudio, i am the ceo and have a degree in audio eng from university of southern alabama and a technical class on mastering audio with the book bybob katz. Im 27 and have been running soniclabs audio for over 4 years and have somewhere in the amoun of 30 cds to my credit. Please email for free samples and other info. Thanks.
    Franco_ontarien
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/01 15:09:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for those who reply with some sense. I receive a few PM so probably I'm going to find someone.
    I prefer to give the job to someone else and keep my time to wrote song and make great music instead. Thanks!
    rbowser
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/01 15:45:13 (permalink)
    Well that's fine, Franco--In your original post you did say, "...I'm going to learn by what you did..." And that's not a bad starting point, though it could be difficult to really learn without a lot of careful studying. Just now you said, "...I prefer to give the job to someone else and keep my time to wrote song and make great music instead..."--Hummm, now that's a bit different.

All of us would love to spend all our studio time writing music, but the very nature of a home studio is that we need to get proficient at all aspects of creating music. We need to learn as much as we can, because nobody is going to care about our own music as much as ourselves--we need to learn to get it across to an audience the best way possible.

It's not going to work to skip the studying and think other people are going to do all the work you're too impatient to do. It's your own music at stake---I think you'll catch on to the truth of what I'm saying as time goes by.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/01 21:11:31 (permalink)

I agree wholeheartedly with Rbowser. In absolute terms, what Franco_Ontarien said makes a lot of sense - once upon a time. Today, like what Rbowser said, things are different. To succeed in this industry - whatever the music may be - you need to be extremely flexible. You need to be the artist, the manager, the PR man, and the recording engineer - all at once. Of course, we can't be excellent in everything, but we can better certain weak points.

Lâchez-pas mon ami!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/02 07:23:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sonic the Hedgehog

To succeed in this industry - whatever the music may be - you need to be extremely flexible. You need to be the artist, the manager, the PR man, and the recording engineer - all at once. Of course, we can't be excellent in everything, but we can better certain weak points.

Yep,that was the point I was making in my last post.I,ve come to the conclusion though,thats its just not possible to be a great engineer,a great song writer,and a great manager all at once !!Better to work on your strong points and find others (a team) who can compensate for your weak points,than to try and be Superhuman !
    I,ve only learned that recently....I think to some degree that whatever we choose to do in life,we,ll ALWAYS need other people around.I think thats music gets a lot easier when we stop wanting just for ourselves..
    cheers,
    kev
    rbowser
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/02 13:20:50 (permalink)
    Hi, Kev

"...its just not possible to be a great engineer,a great song writer,and a great manager all at once..."

But that's the challenge for musicians working in their home studio set ups. The majority of our time Is spent working alone on our projects, and we need to do the best we can wearing all the hats. Even if we had a group of friends who are experts in the various areas of recording, and they're willing to volunteer the kind of time which We're willing to put in on our music, they're not going to fit in our spare bedroom studios!

We either take up the challenge of home recording, or we don't.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/02 18:21:16 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I know what you mean...it can't hurt to strive towards independance,and I realise that for a lot of people theres just not the choice.Speaking for myself though,I know my compositions are much richer when I'm not concerned about the engineering / sound.When I can focus purely on the musial content and the arrangement.Thats my way anyway...it might not fit for everyone,but it works for me !
    Cheers,
    kev
    DRHollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 821
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/02 18:53:54 (permalink)
    Franco & JBoy,

I have a buddy that does final mastering mix downs. He's been doing it for years in a professional studio. His web site is http://www.anewlevelrecording.com/. His name is Blaine Johnston and he's very good at what he does and pays attention to details. He has a few samples on his site that you can listen to to check out his work.

rbowser
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/02 18:57:40 (permalink)
    That's fine, Kev--I'm just saying that the nature of a project studio, a home studio is that a musician learns how to produce his music. He/she learns that a great deal of the art of writing music is in the production of it, not just in the composing--in fact, the two can become inseperable.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    mindwalk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/03 11:01:20 (permalink)
    I would be happy to help you with that. would enjoy the experiance.
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/04 12:33:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rbowser
    He/she learns that a great deal of the art of writing music is in the production of it, not just in the composing--in fact, the two can become inseperable.
    Randy
    rbowser

I think you might be getting your 1s and 0s crossed with your quavers here Sure production can help a musicians ideas to come across more effectively..but since when did a musician need a computer in order to write music ? All the music that has been created before the first Atari came along can be just written off then huh ? The partnership of music and production is only possible if we 'forget' that music once existed on its own tracks.To say they're, inseperable is overlooking it's history,and overlooking it's identity.
    I sold my first tracks to a Major Publisher with about two months of production knowledge under my belt.The idea that people need to be a strong musician and a strong producer, in order to be successful is in my experience just simply not true.
    If you,re a great producer,a great engineer and a great pr,then hats of to you rbowser !!!!I wish you every luck in what you,re doing...
    Kev

rbowser
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/04 13:40:26 (permalink)
    --!!--Good heavens, Kev, I didn't mean to push your buttons! I was just taking the opportunity to say something philosophical about the home studio movement, which is where musicians learn to use technology well enough to produce good demos of their music.

I wasn't even assuming that trying to sell their music is a necessary part of the motivation to set up a home studio. I know a lot of people enjoy music making as a satisfying hobby, and are content to leave it at that.

The majority of great music throughout history was obviously written without computers and other modern technology. What I was referring to in my post is how now at this point, when we Do have computers, audio technology et al, that the recording production of a song/piece of music can become inseparable from the actual composition. Much of the marketed music we hear nowadays would seem extremely unoriginal and uninteresting when reduced to its basic musical elements--melody and chord progression.

You clearly want to present your music as well as possible, that's why you're talking about having people help mixing and producing your songs. That's great. I'm suggesting that you'd have even more pleasure with your music if you became more involved with the translation of it from idea, inspiration, to audio that vibrates in the air.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    kev11111111111111
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/04 17:42:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rbowser

--!!--Good heavens, Kev, I didn't mean to push your buttons!

Hey sorry rboswer if went a bit AWOL !!You have made some excellent points,and seem like a nice guy...sorry I came across as harsh.Maybe one day I'll be more into the production process,but for now ummm no way,just not the time.
    Anyway all the best to you !
    Cheers,
    kev
    rbowser
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/03/04 19:12:27 (permalink)
    Hi, Kev--Nice message, thanks.

I know a lot of songwriters want to keep cranking on the composition process, and they walk a tight rope when it comes to balancing time between that and the more technical aspects of their home studios. If you can manage to do nothing but compose and still get recordings you're pleased with, with a little help from your friends--More power to you!

Keep on rockin'.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rchristiejr
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1342
    RE: Looking for someone to mix a song 2007/04/27 10:31:39 (permalink)
    In my experience I find it hard for anyone to give me the results that I want! Even paying for it!!
    Its a difficlut road but I will learn as much and master as many aspects of music as possible. Writing, composition, arranging, engineering, business side, art, etc! It can be done!!

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1