Rapture 1.1: MIDI Learn to the Max

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2007/03/06 11:49:10 (permalink)

Rapture 1.1: MIDI Learn to the Max

First, there was MIDI Learn, and it was good.
Next came the MIDI Learn Easter Egg. And it was also good.

Now, it's wide open. Anything on the GUI can be MIDI-learned, in two layered levels, with 10 different configurations. Use either right-click or Shift+right-click to get at the new configuration menu. I put together a tiny demo file of exactly what can be MIDI-controlled directly in Element 1. Note that while I included the X-Y pad, I did leave out E2-E6, the Global section, and the MIDI Matrix.

Drop the downloaded file in Rapture's MIDI folder. For WinXP, that would typically be similar to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture\MIDI". Move your Mod Wheel to view the 'light show'.

Remember to go back and reset the configuration afterwards. Right-click (or Shift+right-click) on any control.
Change MIDI Config -> 01. (Default) -> Reset.

4 Replies Related Threads

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture 1.1: MIDI Learn to the Max 2007/03/06 12:14:36 (permalink)
    Tom,

Cool.

I was also trying to control Rapture's XY pad w/ the novation's last night. I didn't have enough time to get into it, but noticed that the Rapt's pad only went side to side, not in 360 degrees. It might be my fault since Rapt said that both x and y from novation were controlling midi #44. I thought I had set the Novation for 44 and 45 (easy to remember!) but that might have been in a synth preset rather than SONAR.

I'll give it another look this afternoon - I suppose it is operator error but if it ain't me and anyone here knows, I'd like to be in the loop (or pad, or whatever).

thanks.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Rapture 1.1: MIDI Learn to the Max 2007/03/06 12:24:03 (permalink)
    both x and y from novation were controlling midi #44.
    Two ways to go here, Alan. One method is to reverse the High and Lo Value settings on one axis in the Novation. [Lo Value=127; High Value =0.] Spring To Centre in Global also helps, and make sure that you're only sending one MIDI parameter per-X and -Y axis (not the two available).

The easier way is to right-click in Rapture X-Y Pad, and select either X reverse or Y Reverse. Of course, you can do the same thing (both methods) with two sliders or knobs.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Rapture 1.1: MIDI Learn to the Max 2007/03/09 12:17:51 (permalink)
    I have a Product Improvement Idea Suggestion.
    The left/right arrows <|> in the Program selection area - make it midi-learn enable(d).
    Then One could conceivably create a program group called 99 - Live Performance Programs (and Set Subgroups), and drag your favorite Progs that you want to use in performance order, and then call up your patches live on your keyboard during a set.
    On my Korg Kontrol 49, I would probably assign the selector switch to SW1 (left) & SW2 (right), but alternately you could also use a midi floor controller to step through the Progs. as well.

Currently, you can't do that.

I hope I made sense there....

Comments anyone? Is this workable?
    I notice when I use the <|> switch with the mouse (ugh!) the program load times are not nearly as slow as with Dimension (pro).

edit: Spelling & Grammar.
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2007/03/09 12:51:48

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    jbrave
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Rapture 1.1: MIDI Learn to the Max 2007/03/09 16:11:47 (permalink)
    What would also be good, would be a real arpeggiator function -Simply take the held down keys and map the steps in the step generators to those pitches - otherwise, the step generator for pitch is kind of not-so-useful for performance, unless you like playing canned sequences when you are improvising. Also, it would help to quickly create a canned step sequence if the steps could be extracted from the currently held down chord (in order of keys held down) Maybe this type of function is already in there somewhere?

Joel
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1