VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2007/03/14 10:34:41 (permalink)

VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension

History: VOSIM refers to the VOice SIMulation techniques developed by Werner Kaegi and Stan Temelaars in the 1980's (and earlier).

Advantages: This is a digital waveform synthesis method that excels at producing formants without filters. Formants contribute to the vowel qualites of vocal sounds, and the tone colors of orchestral instruments in a steady state. Formants produce resonances that do not change in frequency with pitch variations.

Example Files: Here are 16 single-cycle waveforms that illustrate a similar technique. Extract them to Rapture/Dimension/LE/Pro's Multisamples folder, and a VOSIM folder will contain the waveforms.

The Method: I used the provided sine.wav as the basis for nearly all files. In Sound Forge 8, copy & paste for the 'pulses', Process -> Volume (by selection) for the amplitude adjustments, and Effects -> Pitch -> Shift to return the composite back to 2048 samples. (Under 3000 samples are treated as wavetables.) Combined VOSIM waveforms used Edit - Paste Special -> Mix for more complex, multi-resonance formants.

Effect of Parameters:
Peak Amplitude: overall loudness.
Number of Pulses and Pulse Width: formant frequency.
Rate of Amplitude Decay: sharpness of formant.
Delay Time: spectrum shape outside of the formant band.

More Information: Good luck with that. I'm working off a 20+ year old article by Bob Moog, and internet research that's sketchy at best.
post edited by b rock - 2007/03/14 14:19:10

11 Replies Related Threads

Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 10:52:37 (permalink)
    b rock, you're amazing. I wish I could offer to help with the research and SF 8 editing. I've got the tools.....but I've been out of town so much recently.

Thanks for the work and constant flow of new ideas.

On another note: I've started carrying my MicroTrack recorder around with me on my travels. If/when I come up with some unique sample results, are you at all interested in receiving some free WAV files? I don't know if you are much of a "musique concrète" type...
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2007/03/14 10:58:57

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 11:07:56 (permalink)
    Wish I could help, too, but I have a problem just checking all this stuff out.

Thanks b-rock. A talking synth, just what I need with all the kids around the house for spring break.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 12:49:34 (permalink)
    There's a mathematical formula you can use too, to bring waveforms to a specific length in samples using the resampling tool in sound-forge. I can't remember it off the top of my head though I'll look it up later today and report back.
    b rock
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 13:30:29 (permalink)
    There's a mathematical formula you can use
    Yeah, I've got René to thank quite a while back for sparing me the return trip to the dry old textbooks.
    1- We can use any kind of wave file. However, to create those it's better to do mono, 44.1k in either 16/32-bit.
    2- We can use any size, but we'll reduce the loading time of the first instance if we stay with not-extremely-long sizes. If we use a 100MB, stereo wave file as LFO source, Rapture will need to read it, add both channels and resample it down to 4096 samples. Do this for all user slots and it might take a while to load. I suggest anything < 64k, i.e. 8192 samples.
    3- First of all, use your favorite wave editor to create a wave file then, in 44.1kHz, 16 or 32-bit and mono. I will use Audition for the example, feel free to translate into anything else.
    4- I will use the 'Generate Tones' algo in Audition, which is very cool. Feel free to use anything else.
    5- Generate Tones wants two params: Frequency and Length. As we want one cycle @ 44100, then we calculate

Frequency = 44100 / 8192 = 5.38330078125 Hz (just copy/paste from calc into audition)
    Length = 8192 / 44100 (or 1 / Frequency, which comes for free as a one-button-touch in calc.exe) = 0.18575963718820861678004535147392

- René
    But, as luck would have it, if you use a copy of the original waveform as a template, it's simply a matter of transposition ratios to bring the composite back in line again before the final save.
    A talking synth, just what I need with all the kids around the house for spring break.
    Hehe. The real fun begins when you start running these VOSIM wavetables with the new StepGen modes. Step through the wavetables, sequence them in a cycle, or use the Shot mode for a formant-sweeping 'envelope'. It took no time at all to put together some test presets.

Edit: I forgot to mention the recycling aspects. Use them with Extract Shape from Sample File, or as a used-defined LFO. Then you can take the shape and shift its starting phase. That comes in handy as a bi-directional control source (the LFO itself), or in the step generators (Copy Shape from LFO).
    I don't know if you are much of a "musique concrète" type...
    Oh, hell yes, I am. So much so that I've got a MicroTrack strapped to my side at (almost) all times. Sure beats splicing and managing tape.

But you never have enough good source material, Mike. Bring it on. Now I need some kind of USB charger for my power port in the vehicle. Also, I need some better excuses as to why I'm beating light poles with a sledgehammer, or recording microwave popcorn.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/03/14 14:20:33
    Infinite5ths
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 13:35:19 (permalink)
    Hey man....I made some pretty decent fireworks out of a sampled potato chip bag. Being crazy is a good way to survive life.

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    Infinite5ths
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 13:38:06 (permalink)
    P.S. Many BlackBerry units (and other cell phones) can charge from car cigarette chargers. Lots of these units use mini USB plugs for their charging jacks. Have you tried using one of those chargers with the Microtrack? I don't have a BB or I'd try myself. But I used to work with them in my last IT job. Their AC wall chargers are almost identical to the one that comes with the MicroTrack.

Here is a cheap cigarette>USB unit: http://www.cellphoneshop.net/usbchcawicil.html

I'm sure you've seen this also, right?: http://www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm#microtrack
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2007/03/14 13:39:56

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 13:58:42 (permalink)
    Tom, very nifty (as always). Something to try tonight, if I can escape the clutches of the evolver.

Just one thing ... looks like the spell-checker turned all of your 'formants' into 'formats'
    b rock
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 14:37:07 (permalink)
    looks like the spell-checker turned all of your 'formants' into 'formats'
    I blame the typing finger. No, not that one ... the other one. The guy in the middle of them knows better. Too bad he can't type.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ben-The-Evolver-Guy. In return, I'd like to put up 10 test presets ... Rapture only! Nothing too earth-shattering; just variations on the same basic patch. Everyone should know where they go by now (ReadMe). The presets will be looking for a VOSIM folder under Multisamples for the source .wavs.
    I'm sure you've seen this also, right?
    I have seen those, Mike, when I was researching the purchase. Thanks for the linked reminders. I know about the availability of the chargers, but (unfortunately), I start to think about them when that battery icon starts flashing. Invariably, that's right in the middle of sampling the perfect 'kick' from my floorboard.
    Infinite5ths
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 15:14:01 (permalink)
    So this is your friendly reminder to BUY ONE NOW -- while you're sitting in front of a PC connected to the 'net.

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 17:14:20 (permalink)
    Ah, good man B-Rock. Saved me some time looking that up
    ucacjbs
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 866
    RE: VOSIM Synthesis - Rapture and Dimension 2007/03/14 21:22:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

... Rapture only!

Gack! Touché, Monsieur Rock.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1