Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista

Author
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
2007/03/14 12:25:37 (permalink)

Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista

I purchased a new laptop last week. It is a Toshiba 205-xx57 with a 2GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD. In all it is a great little laptop. Of course, when loading it I have been experiencing all kinds of anolamies, most of which I attribute to Vista. For example, the ECHO Indigo io audio card (PCMCIA) I bought for it conflicts with the onboard Intel Wireless Network adapter (although Device Manager reports that both devices are functioning properly, and that there are no conflicts in the Driver properties page). ECHO is evaluating it currently (they are new Vista drivers). Anyway, when the computer is booted with the Indigo inserted, it functions properly (albeit I have no WiFi).

Anyway, back to the question at hand. About 95% of the music applications software I have loaded work correctly. For some reason, I can't get Arturia installers to load VSTis even though they load both the DXIs and stand-alones correctly. Here is the Cakewalk relevant info and my question. Sonar 6.2 (or whatever the most recent version is) and its installed instruments, Dimension Pro, and z3ta all function correctly. When I loaded Rapture 1.0, it apeared to function correctly (although I can't remember if I checked if both expansion packs loaded correctly). Recently I heard about the Rapture 1.1 upgrade. I downloaded it, as well as the new combined expansion pack loader. I then Uninstalled Rapture from my suystem and proceeded to install V1.1. After I instaled 1.1, I couldn't get it to function, at all. As a VSTi in Chainer, the control panel comes up, but when I select a program nothing happens. Chainer's meters move when I hit the keyboard so the ASIO is working. Rapture doesn't. So, I decided to again unload Rapture 1.1, and I reinstalled Rapture 1.0. Now Rapture is functioning but I can't get Expansion pack 2 to load no matter what I try. I find this bizarre.

Anybody else notice any funky behavior of Rapture, esp V1.1 under Vista?

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing

5 Replies Related Threads

Frank@ProSounds
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista 2007/03/14 12:46:55 (permalink)
    Have you tried using a different host, or just chainer?
    mosspa
    RE: Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista 2007/03/14 12:57:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for taking time to respond Frank;

I tested with Chainer, MiniHost, and V-stack. I don't like to use SONAR for testing stuff because I can never tell whether I'm running a DXi or VSTi instance. And, everything else works in Chainer, including Dimension Pro (which uses the same engine as Rapture, or so I am led to believe).

I can't get my head around the Arturia thing though. Isn't setting up the VSTi simply a matter of authorizing the registry and copying the .dll into the VST folder? Since the DXis work in SONAR and ACID 8, and the stand alones work the registry has been apparentlly autorized, so it seems like a simple mater to copy the VST dlls.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista 2007/03/14 16:53:45 (permalink)
    Hello mosspa,

Rapture 1.1 runs very well in all versions of Vista, both in x86 and x64 version. The VST version of Rapture, however, was updated to the latest published VST spec, version 2.4. Therefore, it requires a 2.4 equipped host to run. That's the issue you're having with Xlutop Chainer and V-Stack. Minihost, on the other hand, should be working as in latest version (1.64).

You should be able to run Rapture in SONAR in both VST and DXi versions with no problems. We have a workaround for the other hosts as well, please check this thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=993240

Regarding the general VST installation, moving the dll might just not work. Actually, you don't need to register a VST dll, only DX/DXi. In the old days of VST, it was enough with copying the dll file to the new vstplugins folder. But since then more and more stuff was added to the installer, which nows very often writes information in the registry which will point to the old folder if you move the dll. No escape from reinstall in those cases, and it's in a case-by-case basis.
    mosspa
    RE: Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista 2007/03/14 17:09:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René
    Regarding the general VST installation, moving the dll might just not work. Actually, you don't need to register a VST dll, only DX/DXi. In the old days of VST, it was enough with copying the dll file to the new vstplugins folder. But since then more and more stuff was added to the installer, which nows very often writes information in the registry which will point to the old folder if you move the dll. No escape from reinstall in those cases, and it's in a case-by-case basis.

Thanks for the response, Rene. Yes, I know about the registry info, that's what I meant by registry validation. My point wasn't that I couldn't move the .dll, it's that the Arturia installer apparently doesn't move it to the VST folder I specify. I'll download the newest version of MiniHost. Thanks again.

John

mmarsh
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Rapture 1.1 not working with Vista 2007/03/20 14:24:18 (permalink)
    I initially could not get Rapture 1.1 to work within Sonar 6.2 or the Microhost on Vista (this was true of Revalver full edition, too). The trick is to run the host app as Administrator, then poof magic it works. I think it's because you need admin rights to access the registry for applications run inside the application you ran. Or something.

Mike
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1