Finished recording my tracks..now what?

Author
wickerman
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1039
2006/01/03 20:40:51 (permalink)

Finished recording my tracks..now what?

I've finished recording songs for my cd...I've played with the mix placement and have all my levels where I am likng them. What now?

I've been reading on mastering and am quite frankly a little confused...I can't afford to send it off to have it done and I've got some good info from the tech forum here on the subject, still confused.

When I burn the tunes to a cd and listen to them in the 'real' world - the bass is a little more boomy than I want - would this be taken care of by
a)working on the individual track in MC, causing me to possibly have to re-mix?
b)apply changes to the whole song in WAV format using MC or some other program?

I'm a little confused and would like some input - I want the final product to sound as good as possible naturally - and I know it can be tweaked a little more to pull the best out.

FYI - I record all of my tracks dry right around -3dB to 0dB and apply effects after to the desired sections in a seperate track. Just in case that may be useful somehow. I also monitor everything with cans as I live in an apartment building and have a wife, so I'm doing this then taking it out to the world to test my adjustments.

Any tips/advice/procedures you use would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

8 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/03 20:55:45 (permalink)
    Well it really matters what you have done so far, sometimes all you need is to get a good clean mix and that will do. The panning is to taste, and the tracks are set at comfortable levels then all is as it should be.

what did you do to the mix so far is there any compression on it? did you use reverb? what about other effects, detail a typical mix. If the bass is a tad boomey, then dial it back a bit.

I master kind of like this.

When i get a decent mix with the instruments panned around where i like them, I them listen to the overall volumes of the individual tracks, then I place a reverb effect in aux buss 1, and then use the aux sends to adjust how much each rack needs, then place an EQ in aux buss 2, and do the same, then I add a compressor to the main and adjust it so it gives the mix a nice small punch, but not allowing it to crush the mix just a bit of compression (i might have already added individule compresson to tracks that needed it) then if the track is hitting the red to much or clipping i add a master limiter to the main after the compressor. Then i do a mixdown to a stereo track and export and burn to a CD to play in the car and home stereo to see if i like the levels, then go back and readjust to fix the problems and reburn once it sounds like i like then it is mastered.

If one wants to do a out of Cake mastering, then just open the mixed down tracks in a wave editor like sound forge or gold wave and edit to taste there.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2006/01/05 11:37:25

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    wickerman
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/03 21:53:44 (permalink)
    ok, I see - am setting up an overall parametric EQ and putting it in AUX 1 - then applying where I think it needs to go and to what degree (make sense?), using reverb on 2 .... I can hear the difference, I'll play with it. I would like to apply a bit of compression to the whole project - however don't see a compressor in my cakewalk rack - do I need a plug in?

I would like to do as much as possible in MC.

The only track to have compression is my bass line - then added a small amount of distortion to the track as well. It sits around -12dB to -6dB max. These effects are appplied to the whole track and are not in my tray to switch on and off - so I have some bass tracks now that are at this point - permenantly effected. Bass sits at 5 to the right.

I'm pretty sparse with other effects -
    drums: clean- panned slightly to the left at 5

guitars: clean, although a few tracks will have flange or chorus enabled in my tray. They will sit hard at 30 - 40 for panning depending on the harmonies going on and overall sound.
    I double all of my rythym tracks and seperate them hard for a good overall sound - I don't just copy track a into track b and call it another guitar part.

My primary goal when laying down any new track is to get the cleanest recording possible without any effects at the time. My mixdown always has the main level bouncing in the red between -3dB and 0dB - should I be keeping it out of the red as much as possible? If I see it pegging the upper limits of 0dB, then I drop the whole track level. Coming from an old tape based multitrack (experience) - I always wanted it to be a little 'hot' for the mixdown, should I be approaching it differently for digital?

Robomusic
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/04 01:08:03 (permalink)
    No you got the idea, it is okay to tag the red a bit, watch for it to "sit" in the red, that can cause clipping. One way to get a feel for the level is to tak it and mix down to wave then export to a stereo wave and import that to a good wave editor, and look to see if the wave file go off the scale then it clips. But until you get one of those just work at it to get the most with out clipping, digital clipping sound bad. The EQ and reverb in the aux busses it right then you can adjust to taste. On the compression MC does not come with one, so you need to get one, there are two ways, get the blueline plugs and use that one, it is free, or buy a VST wrapper and then get the classic series they are really good.

Another way is to go buy a copy of Sony's Sound forge studio ($69) and it comes with a full set of plugs that will work in Cakewalk as well as in sound forge, then you will have a good wave file editor.

On a side note, as you learn upgrade to a sound card and software that runs at 24 bit, or even 32 bit float and the head room is far better so the ability to work the audio files to get better volume and avoid clipping is vastly superior.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2006/01/05 11:35:53

Music Town
    wickerman
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/05 07:51:02 (permalink)
    Thanks, I've got the Blueline plugins and played around a little last night, I've got to tweak my settings - but it will work out good. I think I do need to apply some compression to a couple individual tracks though.

I'm looking at the Sound Forge - but xmas + bass set up i just bought = broke me. I think it would be a good purchase. Thanks again for the tips and pointing me in the right direction, appreciate it.
    speezy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/05 16:30:04 (permalink)
    Robo -

You said that Sound Forge works w/ Cakewalk. I've got both programs, but how do I seemlessly go from one to the other so I can edit a wave?
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/06 01:07:45 (permalink)
    Jsut a guess:

Export the file from MC that you want to work on as a .wav. Open the .wav in Sound Forge and edit, save as a .wav. Import it into MC.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2006/01/06 01:10:40

Jeff
    speezy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/09 16:09:21 (permalink)
    Bargain -

Ya..I know that..I was just wondering if there was a shortcut, like click on an icon and it does that whole process for you.
    Robomusic
    RE: Finished recording my tracks..now what? 2006/01/09 16:26:45 (permalink)
    There is a link under tools to Sound forge in my program, but it does not work, now in the Sonar demo it works flawlessly, sound forge opens but it does not automatically send the audio file to it from what i can detiremine.

What are you trying to do? maybe we can suggest a good workaround..
    post edited by Robomusic - 2006/01/09 16:33:07

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1