FireWire bus power on a laptop?

Author
vespagirl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2005/06/10 15:31:37 (permalink)

FireWire bus power on a laptop?

Ok, so I bought myself a shiny new laptop and an M-Audio Ozonic with the idea that my "desktop" music project will become a laptop project. The built-in firewire jack on the laptop is a 4-pin, but the Ozonic comes with a 6-pin. The M-audio documentation says that you can use a 4pin-to-6pin cable, but you cannot take advantage of bus powering the Ozonic unless you use a 6-to-6.

Ok, so I think I'd like to eliminate as many cables as possible and I buy a PCMCIA Firewire card, take it home, plug it in and...the Ozonic isn't getting any power from the Firewire. In the user manual, I see where it says "you can power the Ozonic with Firewire bus power...if your device supports it." So then I think I just need to get the right kind of f/w card...but shopping around, I see no PCMCIA f/w cards that mention they support bus power. The one I bought makes no reference to it either way. Nor do any I see when I do a search at online computer retailers.

Now, I just saw an ad for a new MOTU portable device ("The Traveler" maybe?) which also says it will run on f/w bus power too, so it seems the assumption that you take your laptop and audio int. and hit the road without power cables. But where do I find that elusive f/w bus power output? Does anyone know or have any recommendations?

thanks! Happy Friday everyone,
Allison

4 Replies Related Threads

vespagirl
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: FireWire bus power on a laptop? 2005/06/10 15:37:31 (permalink)
    Never mind...I should've gone to M-Audio's website first:

Will my M-Audio FireWire interface work with a PCMCIA cardbus adaptor?

PCMCIA Card Bus adaptor users:

Please be aware that even though some PCMCIA adaptor cards do provide a 6 Pin interface to be used with your M-Audio FireWire interface, these cards do not supply sufficient bus power. Cardbus power standards are not compatible with power standards required by IEEE1394-1995 or 1394a.

In the event that you have this problem, please check with the cardbus manufacturer’s instructions for an optional power adaptor for the PCMCIA card. Using the supplied 12VDC power adaptor for the M-Audio FireWire interface will eliminate the need for acquiring a power supply for the PCMCIA cardbus interface.

Why get a power adapter for the PC card, it seems a little pointless. Too bad they sell their product on the promise of not needing a power cable, but it doesn't actually work in one of the most obvious applications of that product. Oh well, it's not like I'm not used to plugging things in...
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: FireWire bus power on a laptop? 2005/06/10 17:20:37 (permalink)
    So, did your M-Audio Firewire come with it's own plug into the wall power?
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: FireWire bus power on a laptop? 2005/06/10 17:46:01 (permalink)
    I've noticed the very same dilemma as far as the advertising of the Traveler, and I suspect that Apple's lappies have a 6-pin FireWire port...can anyone verify this? I know that MOTU is very, very Apple-oriented, even if they "can" work with PC.
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: FireWire bus power on a laptop? 2005/06/11 00:34:18 (permalink)
    J boy:
    I suspect that Apple's lappies have a 6-pin FireWire port...can anyone verify this?

Yes they do. And why PC's don't is really a mystery to me.

Vespagirl:
    Ok, so I think I'd like to eliminate as many cables as possible and I buy a PCMCIA Firewire card, take it home, plug it in and...the Ozonic isn't getting any power from the Firewire. In the user manual, I see where it says "you can power the Ozonic with Firewire bus power...if your device supports it." So then I think I just need to get the right kind of f/w card...but shopping around, I see no PCMCIA f/w cards that mention they support bus power.

I don't understand this, either. Is the FW card you bought a 6-pin? If not, then that's why. If so, then I can't see why not. The reason you don't see any mention of supporting bus power is because it should be a non-issue. If it's a 6-pin card, cable and interface, it should work. That's my understanding, at least.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1