Fireface / Laptop / External Hard Drive Options

Author
music_sky
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2007/06/21 16:35:08 (permalink)

Fireface / Laptop / External Hard Drive Options

Greetings!

I have just purchased a laptop that is now hooked up to my Fireface 800 via the laptop's single on-board 4-pin firewire port (using a 4-pin to 6-pin cable). Everything works fine (the laptop's chipset is Texas Instruments, which I have been told is the least problematic).

Now I would like to hook up an external drive to record to...which brings me to my question(s), and I need some advice from people who may have already gone through this.

I have a Western Digital internal SATA drive that I would like to put in an external enclosure (to save money)...I was thinking about buying a PCMCIA eSATA card to hook up to a eSATA enclosure (with the aforementioned SATA drive inside). The PCMCIA slot on the laptop shares the same Texas Instruments chipset as the firewire. Is this a problem?

Or should I just find a SATA to firewire enclosure and daisy-chain it off the Fireface? If so, would I need some sort of 800 to 400 adapter?

I realize that I can easily hook up a USB to SATA enclosure, but I was told that USB enclosures kill performance...I don't want that (up to this point, I have been using a desktop with firewire 800 ports connecting both the Fireface and external LaCie hard drives).

Here's a link to my laptop's specs (I've actually got 2gb of memory)

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q10 … Rsp2.shtml

Thanks for any help at all!

Matt

1 Reply Related Threads

Monkey Mouse
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Fireface / Laptop / External Hard Drive Options 2007/06/21 19:33:39 (permalink)
    Buy a PCMCIA FW card with TI chipset and run the HD off of that.

Live 6, Project 5, Kinetic, Oddity, Minimoog V, Atmosphere, Battery 3, Delta 1010

It's my duty to please that booty!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1