Fireface or Firepod?

Author
dali lama
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 448
2006/02/09 14:06:36 (permalink)

Fireface or Firepod?

Well.... I have the firepod. I like it's sound but I'm skeptical of the drivers. I haven't gotten stellar latency performance out of it and the sample rate switching issue is driving me nuts. Also, the software mixer seems like an upgrade that would make a huge difference for me and the way I work.

So my question is: will I see better performance out of the Fireface 800 in these areas? I know the sound and conversion is top-notch. I also know that the drivers have been more stable and that the software mixer is a nice feature. I guess I've answered most of my questions on my own but will latency improve? Will the sound be a HUGE upgrade or marginal? And lastly, is the FF800 more configurable for future upgrades? I like the idea of getting my upgrading done now rather than later so if it's worth it, I'll do it now.

Thanks to those that are wiser than me.

Danny

4 Replies Related Threads

dude24man
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Fireface or Firepod? 2006/02/09 14:56:16 (permalink)
    I upgraded from a digi 002r to the RME fireface and the sound inproved greatly. I never herd the firepod but I'm sure the ad/da converters are a step up. as far as the drivers go I've been using the older drivers with great succsess, if it aint broke dont fix it kind a thing. you wont be disapointed with the fireface. Arthur www.dmsstudio.com www.myspace.com/greyskysunday
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Fireface or Firepod? 2006/02/09 15:13:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dali lama

Well.... I have the firepod. I like it's sound but I'm skeptical of the drivers. I haven't gotten stellar latency performance out of it and the sample rate switching issue is driving me nuts. Also, the software mixer seems like an upgrade that would make a huge difference for me and the way I work.

So my question is: will I see better performance out of the Fireface 800 in these areas? I know the sound and conversion is top-notch. I also know that the drivers have been more stable and that the software mixer is a nice feature. I guess I've answered most of my questions on my own but will latency improve? Will the sound be a HUGE upgrade or marginal? And lastly, is the FF800 more configurable for future upgrades? I like the idea of getting my upgrading done now rather than later so if it's worth it, I'll do it now.

Thanks to those that are wiser than me.

Danny

I think that would be a good move. The Fireface seems to be the known good thing right now, many of the forum users have one and are having good luck with it. Presouns has done all they can do with the firepod so it's not going to get any better. RME is very good about updates even after the device is old. The engineering folks at RME as also very tech savy in a way Presouns is not they go all out with stuff not just good enough. That may be why the fireface costs so much more then the firepod but I think it's worth it. You should be able to get almost all your money back for the firepod on e-bay if you hurry, it's still very popular right now. After all this time it appears that Persouns is at least advertising that you can use two of them so folks may be trolling e-bay looking to pay less then retail for a second one, I would list it right away.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/02/09 15:19:20
    dali lama
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 448
    RE: Fireface or Firepod? 2006/02/09 15:37:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Frank. I think you're right.
    dude24man
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Fireface or Firepod? 2006/02/09 16:05:21 (permalink)
    dali sorry about my last post. the RME fireface kicks much ass! I just wish I could finish a sentence correctly. to many years in the trenches Arthur.........
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1