Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis...

Author
ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2011/02/10 20:40:10 (permalink)

Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis...

So, I've decided maybe it would be a good idea to stop doing vocals myself and try someone else.  I've always thought my vocals are a turn off, or at least not exceptional enough to be pleasing to the ear and thus holds my music back from being more accepted. 

Would anyone be interested in taking a stab at this tune? 

Firefly Zoo - Original with Vocals

Firefly Zoo - Without Vocals

10 Replies Related Threads

7-string_guy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/10 20:48:59 (permalink)
    there is nothing wrong with your voice....i have the same thoughts about mine....im pitchy, but all my listeners tell me that adds character. like when you hear linkin park, you know its linkin park...back to your song...a lot of this is mixed well.. some of the lighter parts are shallow... vocals could come up a db or so. good job

I7 2600k 3.4g on a ASUS MB with 16 gb of ram
    FireFace 400 AI / Sonar 8.5 Producer / ToonTrack Superior Drummer 2
    Alesis M1 Active MKII / Ibanez 7 string / Fender Super-Sonic
    Schecter studio 5 bass / Boss Dr. Rhythm 880 , also Yamaha DTX full rack drum pad trigger system
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/10 23:05:20 (permalink)
    Pretty cool, is that a bozokie(sp)? in the begining. Kinda sounds like a dulcimer too? It needs more than just that acoustic and the vox. It feels like it needs the bass, drums, keys, lead, etc... But I like to overproduce things... I think your voice sounds pretty good for this man. Oh there's the rest of the band :-) I don't like the snare :-( Seems like it should have the springs on. 

Cool song, very different. Gave me kind of a Yes meets "somebody" vibe.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/11 06:53:06 (permalink)
    I like the vocals.

It seems like the vocal line suits your voice... if someone who sings in a polished technical style sings it the emotion will be gone.

You voice seems good to go... and has what I consider a contemporary alt-pop vibe.

Run with it!

I'm not a fan of intellectualized prog change ups... and not a big fan of acoustic guitars sounding louder than the rock band hiding behind it... but that's a different subject.

I like the ambitious and imaginative arrangement you are working towards.

Good stuff!!!

best regards,
    mike

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/11 06:58:56 (permalink)
    yep, vocals are fine! a little more confidence and you'd be a very good singer! acoustics are OK, a little bright for me, and i agree they need to hide back in the mix when the full band comes in. snare drum needs more weight/be tuned down a little.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/11 07:48:33 (permalink)
    I love this tune! Your vox is fantastic for this tune although sounds like some weirdness going on w/the compression in the vox and it sounds held-back....I do agree w/Mike once the rock guitars come in I'd push the acoustic guitars back.

Theres so much going on here (which i like) but also needs tweeking (to my ears) The radio effect you use on the vox now and again needs to be smoothed out a but...just too cutting in the hi region ("I'm just a fire fly" part)

I think I'd try to add some depth and bottom end to the acoustic guitar
    I'd look at your vox and try to nix the front of some of your lines where you can hear you breathing in just before delivery...that can be a "touchy-feely" area as if you nix too much of it...it can sound unnatural but as it its a wee bit distracting...
    There's a ton more lil things I'd do but because your player doesn't have a counter I can't pinpoint them for you..

but to your original question...about the vox...its prefect!!...I think it's prolly one of the stronger elements of the tune...great emotional delivery I think its fantastic!

Kinda an "out from left field" thought... one interesting thing about Prog type tunes is that it seems that the lines are drawn kinda like in country music used to be...(now it seems more a rock/country/country-rock hybrid so the lines are less clear) where it's either a love-it or hate-it deal...but I'm guessing if one tends to like Prog music...this is a very strong tune indeed!

good work!

Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/12 09:43:06 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks all for the confidence booster!  So difficult to believe in yourself sometimes, but you guys really helped me here.  And I will definitely revisit the mix with some of these suggestions. 

You might notice a different username from the OP, because I experienced a server error trying to update my email address in my profile and haven't been able to log in, since.  And I have yet to find forum support so I can contact them about it.  But I wanted to be sure and thank you fellas. 
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/12 10:19:07 (permalink)
    1:50,yyyyesssssssssssssssss,you kiddin me, your vocals are quality. Like what has been posted, they could come forward a little and defo could do with a meaty kick when the heavy guitars came in.

I loved this.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/12 13:04:10 (permalink)
    Alot of times singers will trust their inner ear canal rather than their vocal chords. What happens, is that your larynx gets pushed up into your throat.

Obviously you have that power stroke when you go into your distorted voice. But, your other voice really needs to focus on letting the air pass over the vocal folds, over the tongue and out of your mouth. I'd suspect that you're squeezing and drawing your tongue back into your mouth. That's how you get that whiny, nasal sound.

Two practice tips would be to look up what a yawn sigh is. Do it all that time will you can recognize when you do it. It will also full connect your whole voice. The other tip would be to dig your tongue into the bottom of your teeth on the lower jaw. You don't need it for most pronounciation, and it forces you to not draw it back on those pitches where you're squeezing.

Your voice has an interesting character to it for sure. I like the song also. It takes time to be a good singer and most people just need to allow themselves that time. You're only good as you've practiced to be.

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/13 14:00:24 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with the vox as they are to me - could maybe be a bit louder if anything. It's really quite a cool song - can't comment too much on the mix as only listening on laptop, but it doesn't sound too bad at all on pc speakers - bit muddy when the heavier guitars come in and if it were mine I'd give the snare sound a little more oomph, but depends what you're going for. All just my opinions as a listener.
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Firefly Zoo - A Vox Crisis... 2011/02/13 15:52:55 (permalink)
    I have to agree with almost everyone else here - there is nothing wrong with your voice.

I think you should put aside your insecurities and maybe work a little harder with your vocals - just practise them like you would an instrument. You've got a voice, you just need to work with it. I fully agree with what RuralRocker2010 has to say. That's great advise.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1