Author
BrotherSugg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2005/08/18 01:49:08 (permalink)

First Time Song Post

Givin' it a shot... could use some feedback

Breakdown

Played with the rhythm and chorus guitar parts and built the song. Then went back and added vocals when it came to me.

Any advice to the newbie is appreciated

thx

BrotherSugg
Alt Rock with Industrial Dance Beats
Check out new music at
http://www.brothersugg.com

7 Replies Related Threads

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/18 02:20:44 (permalink)
    Sounds good -- vocals and bass could come up a little bit in volume --- My prefrence is the vocals over everything and drums right behind that along with the bass --over all good first post -- I like the tune

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

jimrocks22
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/18 08:53:26 (permalink)
    Very Good recording, mix, good vocals, playing.
    Suggestions: I think the earlier chorus's need something to bolster them maybe some BV's or some call and response like
    One by one, (one by one-- maybe filtered & panned) could lose the ending drums they don't add anything special.
    good job overall.
    post edited by jimrocks22 - 2005/08/18 09:40:15

all those moments will be lost...in time... like...tears in rain
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/18 09:07:51 (permalink)
    Theres some psychoacoustic stuff going on here - probably a stereo widener or something which sounds weird to my ears - a little too heavy- maybe ease off on it a little.

Your master is way hot - even for k-12, but you might've been going for that.

It all sounds pretty "live" though which for the style of track is probably a good thing.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    BrotherSugg
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/18 12:16:17 (permalink)
    Hi Dave, could you explain what you mean by "hot"? Is it too distorted or just "one" dynamic? This song starts out driving, and besides the break for the solo, stays driving. I'm really trying to improve my mastering skills and I tried a brickwall limiter and push the normalized the volume to peaks. I'm hoping it's not distorting. I'll check into the widening, because I was using a stereo enhancer mostly on the mids.

As for the drums at the end, it's going to be a fade-in to the next song on the CD.

Everyone's opinions have been very helpful!!!

BrotherSugg
    Alt Rock with Industrial Dance Beats
    Check out new music at
    http://www.brothersugg.com
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/18 14:35:29 (permalink)
    Man I dig this...has kinda a swishy sound to it but I think its maybe due to the mp3 compression.Levels seem kinda high with evreything in your face and not much depth to the mix.Guitar playing is awesome..I really like your style!!Vocals are cool,but again kinda swishy sounding at times.Nice job bro'!
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/20 05:03:02 (permalink)
    At first it sounds impressive, but after a couple of careful listens a few problems become apparent.
    You could do with a high pass filter on the drum verb to make it a little less cloudy at the bottom end. The bass needs a lot more compression and if you have a multiband compressor you should pay a lot of attention to it at the 100Hz range to give it some body. The vox is too loud and EQ'd harshly at 2K, which makes it painful to listen to, especially when it's limited so hard.
    Reminds me of Gun.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: First Time Song Post 2005/08/21 08:13:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BrotherSugg

Hi Dave, could you explain what you mean by "hot"? Is it too distorted or just "one" dynamic? This song starts out driving, and besides the break for the solo, stays driving. I'm really trying to improve my mastering skills and I tried a brickwall limiter and push the normalized the volume to peaks. I'm hoping it's not distorting. I'll check into the widening, because I was using a stereo enhancer mostly on the mids.

As for the drums at the end, it's going to be a fade-in to the next song on the CD.

Everyone's opinions have been very helpful!!!

I mean the overall level of the song is too loud (limited). It's not stupidly loud, and certainly in todays audio climate there are louder mixes around - but to be more compatible with the K-system (which is a standard we're all trying to follow) you need to lower the overall volume a bit. I'm not at the studio now so can't remember how much over it was.

You'll probably find that just normalising and not limiting will make it more like it as that kind of music is pretty loud anyway. - again I'm not at the studio so can't re-listen (I've a lowly dial-up here at home).

Do a search on bob katz K-system and go to his page at www.digido.com on the subject. It really is invaluable information and a great help.

If you're going for that wide sound then try just doing some good old fashioned panning - or setup two master busses - one with a widener on (and personally I would never ever ever widen anything more than around 130%) and the other without and then setup another master bus and point both master busses to that and adjust between the two. That way you can point the stuff which needs widening to the wide bus, and the vocals/drums/bass and all the other solid stuff to the other. This would help keep your mix cohesive.

You can also just setup a wide bus and send everything through it but using an Aux send and only sending a trickle of the whole signal through it - I personally prefer to separate widened audio and non widened audio completely. Bear in mind that any widening will compromise your mix's compatibiltity. Theres a good chance that on a stereo with a '3d sound' button on that your mix will be missing a large part of it's center sound if you don't master with a mind to keeping the normal unwidened stuff in the mix. Also some surround processing can be confused by the phase tricks wideners use.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1