Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rhynosynth
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 520
2008/05/18 22:17:36 (permalink)

First attempt at recording

Hello All,

I just posted my 1st song. It's an instrumental titled "Just after Midnight". I didn't add any effects other than what the patches already had programmed into them. I'm hoping to get some feed back as to what could be done to make it sound better as I'm brand new to recording and have no idea what should be added to tracks after they're recorded. My apologies if it sounds like a mess through your monitors or headphones. I don't even have good monitors as of yet. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
http://www.soundclick.com/rhynobyte

37 Replies Related Threads

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/18 22:37:55 (permalink)
    Rhynosynth

When you go to a club or any venue to see a show you will hear the music directly and indirectly. The sound waves bounce off of everything there, the walls, the chairs, the ceiling,etc. This is called reverb.

To make a piece sound more realistic, we must add this effect to the piece we are working on. Each instrument will react differently in how it reverberates in a live performance, so you need to add reverb to individual instruments differently as well for that realistic sound.

Everyone has a different feel for how much reverb should be added, so you just need to play around until you find the sound you like.

Monitors can be very expensive for a good set, so I use headphones myself. Get yourself a good pair and just play around with the sounds until you get something you like.

Hope that helps.

Ron
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/18 22:40:26 (permalink)
    I like the smooth jazz feel :-)

This could benefit greatly from some mixing and EQing, compression, reverb, etc... Is that a live kit? Or a drum program?

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/18 23:23:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Ron. Very helpful. These are the comments I was hoping for. I understand things such as reverb are somewhat subjective to personal taste, but is there a general rule of thumb with different instruments eg drums & bass maybe less and lead sounds more? I'm originally a guitar player and for live stuff I always tried to get nice fat sound, crank the reverb and then fine to the fatness back in. I'm not quite sure how you add the reverb when recording. Do you usually add it before or after recording the track?
    Also I had some effect on the keyboards before recording. Is it generally better to add things like tremolo and phasing after as well?

Thanks Robby. I'm gonna play around with the compression and eq.

Any suggestions for headphones? (Hoping there's a sleeper out there as far as quality and price.)

I actually used an old (1991 I think) Boss Dr 660 drum machine. I really wanted to get some thing out there for feedback and since bangin' out the drums on my keyboard would have taken forever I figured I'd just use one of the programs I made on the DR 660 a few years ago.

Thanks Again ( so much to learn)
    robby
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/18 23:35:29 (permalink)
    I really like THESE
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/18 23:49:34 (permalink)
    All of my work is done with samples, so I add reverb in the mix. Same with EQ and a few other effects based on the instrument.

For live recordings, unless you have a real good studio, I would record and then add effects into the mix. I also add a bit more to percussion and brass then to some of the others, but again, that can all be objective.

Good lick

Ron
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/18 23:50:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip Robby. I'm hoping next week. I know it's a necessity for recording but man the expenses just keep adding up.
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 00:03:30 (permalink)
    Hey Ron. When recording for instance an electric guitar solo or any other instrument that you want sustain and maybe say overdive would you send a dry signal into the track and monitor through the amp? I'm thinking I might need the effected tone to get the feel while playing.
    rolifer@verizon.net
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 00:26:32 (permalink)
    Without being able to hear the sounds you produce in the place you record, I can't answer the question.

What I suggest you do is in the original thread, explain how you recorded this. What equipment used, what kind of room you were in, Mics, amps etc. There are some real savvy techs here that would be far more qualified than I am to answer those questions. The more info you provide, the better people can help.

Ron
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 01:00:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestion Ron. I should've done that in the first place.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 14:32:14 (permalink)
    rhyno - Since everyone's pretty much commented on the mix, I'll leave well enough alone. I really like the vibe and composition you got goin' on here with this tune! Kinda spacey sounding and it took me back to days of old man.... I enjoyed this. And yes, the mixing and equipment is a necessary evil.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 18:32:38 (permalink)
    I love that organ...reminiscent of some of the organ sounds from The Good the Bad and the Ugly...sometimes. Maybe a little bit also some Doors in there...also the lead sounding organ sounds a little bit sci-fi...so an interesting mix there.
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 19:58:37 (permalink)
    After listening I would pull back on the electric piano in the mix and let it come in not so abruptly.
    I feel it would add more to the mood of the piece. No other coments to give in reguard to use of effets as I am also in that learning mode. It was a fun listen.
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 21:11:00 (permalink)
    Hello. Thank you all. You know, I through this together the other night and left it unmixed with no effects in the hopes to get some direction with it because quite frankly I have no idea how to make these tracks better. In fact last night I applied all the preset compression, reverb and eq mc4 has to offer one by one on each track to see what it would sound like. Needless to say my head was spinning by 3am this morning. Your comments have inspired me to try and clean this up and make it the best it can be for what it is.

Larry - I love old keyboard sounds like the rhodes and moog. Thanks

Montezuma - You know after I recorded it I said to myself the bass and the rhodes give it a "riders on the storm" feel (not quite though.. I wish) The good the bad and the ugly? Thanks. BTW my 8 year old loves my dog.

Thatsastrat - You're right. I listened with better headphones. It jumps out at you. It needs to be more mellow. maybe pan left and right if that's possible. Thanks.

boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 21:35:23 (permalink)
    rhynosynth,

A good way to do comparisons is to make mix downs of the song with different effects. Then pull the different wav files into a new project. You then can bounce back and forth between the different mixes and get a real good sense of the way the effects work. It sounds like a lot of work, but it actually will help speed up the process. I know if I listen to a certain mix too long, I get numb to it. I learned this technique on this forum.

With jazz, think about the environment you want to be in, then build the mix from the rhythm section up. This is a real intimate piece and you could get away with subtle ambience.

Scott
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 22:02:18 (permalink)
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna do just that. This site is fantastic for tips just like this. It's saved me so much time already. Just keeps getting better.

rhyno
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/19 23:51:34 (permalink)

Montezuma - You know after I recorded it I said to myself the bass and the rhodes give it a "riders on the storm" feel (not quite though.. I wish) The good the bad and the ugly? Thanks. BTW my 8 year old loves my dog.

Yeah...check out the organ in that flick if you've never heard it. Sweet as. There's a sensational organ blast right before Angel Eyes throws the shovel at Tuco.
    robby
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 00:05:06 (permalink)
    Yeah, I tried to do a local show entitled "check out my organ", the police would not allow it... It may have been a huge misunderstanding...

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 08:48:36 (permalink)
    robby - your attempt at humor here is completely inappropriate. It has nothing to do with the original poster's request for comments on his recording which shows a complete disrespect not only for him but for any children and ladies reading these threads.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    robby
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 09:55:20 (permalink)
    Excuse me? <<snip>>

Still like the smooth jazz feel of this :-) <<snip>>
    post edited by robby - 2008/05/20 22:18:23
    Beagle
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 09:58:08 (permalink)
    don't try it, robby. then why would the police care if your comment was about keyboards?

grow up.

robby
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 13:43:29 (permalink)
    Beagle <<snip>> Dona Nobis Pacem

And I STILL dig that smooth jazz, nice job Rhynosynth! <<snip>> I like it :-)

post edited by robby - 2008/05/20 22:05:25
    Beagle
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 14:34:34 (permalink)
    Robby,
    It's very obvious from your explanation that I am completely wrong here and don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Obviously I should not have jumped to the conclusion that you would have made any kind of inappropriate comment in the open forum.

Please forgive me.

To rhynosynth:
    I apologize to you for this hijacking of your thread. I will not respond off topic in this thread again, even if provoked. I will try to listen to your song again when I get home tonight. I do not like making critique comments based on listening to songs on my crappy soundmax and crappy headphones I have at work. most people who have read my critiques know that already, but you might not and I do owe YOU that explanation since I have taken this thread off topic without making comments on your song.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 14:52:52 (permalink)
    I am glad you have apologized Beagle.

Because in 'my judgement' you were out of line. I respect that these forums are moderated and in my view generally moderated very well without the need for additional moral input.

I took Robby's comment (mistakenly it seems) as double entendre and as that I felt it was mildly amusing and would have no problems allowing my children or my partner to view this forum.

Robby does some sterling work I've noticed in welcoming and encouraging the newcomer which to my mind is a far more practical demonstration of loving than attempting to impose moral standards upon another.

Nice work Rhino btw. I'm just sorry that I didn't have to courage to support your efforts before the thread was blighted by this needless 'controversy'.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 14:56:24 (permalink)
    Rhyno....

Good tune.... it shows creativity. As far as reverb.....yeah...maybe add a tad. Since this is your first song posting, I think it's well done.

To address a few other issues: guitars....I NEVER send a dry signal to the track on guitar... I always get the tone, distortion, reverb, chorus, and other effects before tracking it.
    Some will disagree.....to bad. I like to know what the guitar will sound like and I know I can get that tone from the amp or POD. I just know that I will be "stuck" with it in the final mix...but that has not been a problem for me yet.
    Record everything else dry. Send all the tracks to a sub master and insert your reverb & compression in the sub master for the final sweetening.

My preference for mixing and working on the tracks is not to use head phones. Head phones are good for tracking, where you are recording audio with a mic and you need the room as quiet as possible....use headphones for that. But when working on the mix and inserting effects and trying to achieve a balance between the instruments and vocals, use reference monitors for better results. You can get a decent sounding set of reference monitors for $300-$600. These are not top of the line but they will sound good, and more importantly, give you a less biased sound that either headphones or stereo speakers, which add "coloration" to the sound to one degree or another. When you hear people saying they have a mix that sounds good on their stereo, but not in the car, they probably mixed it on a biased sound source. Ultimately...use what you have and /or can afford. I mixed alot of my earlier tunes from CW8 with headphones.

All that aside...keep working & recording.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/05/20 15:16:33

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 21:32:04 (permalink)
    Hello All,

Glad all this came and went while I was away at work. Not the least bit offended or bothered by any of it. As far as I'm concerned all you guys and everyone here have been very supportive and helpful.

rhyno
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/20 21:50:25 (permalink)
    Jonbouy,

Thanks man. I appreciate that.

Thanks Hacker,

I plan on recording my guitars soon and I have a good mic hear somewhere ( I'ts been so long since I've used it I forgot what make it is) For electric (overdriven) guitar I definitley need to hear the overdriven tone. Sound advice on when to use the headphones as well. I have a line 6 guitar port around hear as well. I gotta see how that records.I hope it's compatible with my new system. i think it predates the pod. You know I picked it up along with a couple of soft synths a few years ago with the intention of recording but never really got things up and running. But now that there is no band and friends to jam with (once in a while.. it's that age) the time is right.

rhyno

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/21 13:41:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

Yeah, I tried to do a local show entitled "check out my organ", the police would not allow it... It may have been a huge misunderstanding...

*Snorts coffee out of nose*

LOL... that caught me off guard. I thought it was funny, but I can understand where Beagle might take offense.

Overall I thought the song was pretty good. Sounds nice. I honestly had no real complaint with the mix. Keyboards were excellent. If you performed this piece (as opposed to sequenced it) then you have some great playing skills to compliment the compositional skills.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    rhynosynth
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/21 15:41:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Foxwolfen,

That's nice to hear. I recorded each track straight out except the drums which I already had programed in my drum machine Maybe a couple of takes for the moog solo. to be honest I really don't even know how to cut and paste yet. I've always been a player. More recentley i just sit and jam to backing tracks off the internet and some jam along cd's. I just got mc4 a few weeks ago and got up and running (with the help of this site) and I gotta tell you I'm having more musical fun now than I've had in years. Both listening to all these great originals and talkin' music. I have my JV 2080 ( which was used for the bass,rhodes variation and moog sound) the yamaha p-150 88 key piano.(used for the piano) an old dr 660 drum machine.( a lot of fun but limited) A fender p deluxe bassa nd a jd 800 synth. I also have the impOSCAR (which I can't wait to record with) NI Vapor and east west symphonic orchestras which I always used in standalone. I gotta do that TTS tuturial #8. You know I was in best buy looking at smoothtop ovens and I saw mc4 for like $35 bucks and said wow that seems like a good deal and here I am. Now I have a problem where I can't go to sleep anymore but somehow I don't feel tired the next day thinking about all this stuff. I'm ramblin again. Can't wait to listen to your stuff as well. This beats the hell out of radio and gives a break to my music collection as well.

rhyno
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: First attempt at recording 2008/05/21 19:53:06 (permalink)
    You got a thumbs up from me Rhyno, I think that's some really good work. It's easy to tell this ain't your first rodeo. I think it fits right up there in the category of "excellence".

Duanr
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1