Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
2008/10/22 21:49:56 (permalink)

First go using all my new toys!

Hi guys

This is the first (very rough) mix of an instrumental I've just finished - I used all my new stuff on it

A Cakewalk in the Park

First off, it was recorded in Home Studio 7 which I eventually got today.

The synths (both Proteus XV - Bender Planet preset) were recorded 'live' using my new Edirol PCR 800 (thanks Bob!)

The bass is a recent acquisition - a Yamaha I traded my old Japanese series Fender P-Bass for.

The guitars were done with my old hand-made axe and my new Variax 700.

The lead guitar has some 'Morley Pro' wah-wah on it in places (thanks James )

I'll spend some time tomorrow polishing it up a bit no doubt

Thanks for taking a listen guys,

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

32 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/22 22:03:59 (permalink)
    Cool, Steve. You ripped into the Edirol box as soon as you got home last night, didn't you?
    Try SD2 on the controller. What a kick. You have just unlocked a whole new instrumental world, and you are going to love what's in store.
    Carry on.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/22 22:43:05 (permalink)
    Beautiful! Have fun! I can't believe you got it all installed and working in one day!
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/22 22:54:30 (permalink)
    Wow. Very metal, indeed. "You think you used enough distortion there, Butch?" to paraphrase The Sundance Kid. Nicely done, Steve, and quick, too.
    Coincidentally, I almost named my song 'On The Beach' Cakewalking In The Park.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/22 23:54:18 (permalink)
    Ya know, Greg, I was thinking it could use a little distortion myself.
    Very nice bass work, (two different bass lines?)great tone from the guitars, great recording tech, nice mix. This song should be played loud...
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    RobertB
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 00:14:03 (permalink)
    Just wait. I am exerting my evil influence on Steve.
    This is relatively mild distortion. Soon, he will be pumping the most unlikely sounds through massively overdriven amp sims, a la Proteus freeform(btw, that's an organ). We are looking for one that goes to 12.
    post edited by RobertB - 2008/10/23 00:22:06

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 16:39:15 (permalink)

Thanks for listening guys - your comments are appreciated.

Bob - you're recommendation was spot on mate, I am really looking forward to finding out what this baby can do. First job will definitely be to set about experimenting with assigning the pads to EZ Drummer.

Thanks for that Janet - I just had to get everything set up and running, once I made all the connections and everything actually worked I felt the need to record something

Greg, from installing HS7XL to posting the first mix on Soundclick took me just under six hours - luckily I had all the parts and arrangement already worked out!

There's the bass guitar and the bass synth part on their Albert - it's a little mushy down there at the moment, I might take the synth out when the bass comes in. Thanks for the great comments

Steve

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 17:37:26 (permalink)
    Hey....Well done Steve.

Your investments have paid off and so quickly at that!

I'm not crazy over metal, but this is pretty good. I'm am a little worried what RobertB has in store for you though!

Great job!

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 17:45:35 (permalink)

Thanks Annette

LOL - I suddenly realised I hadn't treated myself to any new gear for nigh on twenty years so I thought why not!

As to that Bob, his advice is excellent, I just hope he doesn't go recommending a new Ferrari to use as my tour bus

Steve

Nutty
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 18:01:45 (permalink)
    I'm trying to convince my husband that I need an acoustic bass! He's not buying it because I have I think 7 guitars and my daughter has 3. I don't know if I could get rid of some or not. I use them all; the classical guitar I use the least, but I see it coming in handy for some songs. My daughter has an electric bass, but I like the sound of the acoustic bass. So, anyone have any good excuses I could use to get one???? I even said he could get his new computer box he wants...and he didn't bite. Unfortunately I'm at his mercy to go anywhere!

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    kine321
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 438
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 18:08:40 (permalink)
    I'm curious to know what you think about SHS7? Is it easier to use for novices? Does it have a better work flow? Please share your experience.
    Malakidreams
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 894
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 18:15:14 (permalink)
    great song steve, I like it alot. Keep them coming.Its great we have such diverse music creaters in this forum. Country,Contemporary,Experimental.rock,metal etc. I myself am a metalhead I guess you would say. Im mostly influenced by 80's metal and modern day European metal. specifically northern Europe such as Finland and Sweden. anyhow, good job.
    Nutty
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 18:21:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kine321

I'm curious to know what you think about SHS7? Is it easier to use for novices? Does it have a better work flow? Please share your experience.

What are you using now kine? I was using and just getting the hang of MC 4. I have found the transition fairly easy. Once you find where things are it's okay. Now there are a lot of features and add on's that I'm not familiar with, but that hasn't stopped me from recording and editing songs. I will continue to learn as I go along. So far I've been happy (except when I keep recording over my other tracks).

If you have any specifics you want, just let me know and I'll try and answer them for you.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Mock
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 19:03:27 (permalink)
    Steve THAT WAS EPIC!! \m/ I have not had that much fun playing air guitar in a long time. I love the tone on the lead, very arena rock sounding. Jim.

Using: Ibanez and Washburn Acoustic Guitars, Jackson ( Dinky) and B C Rich Mockingbird electric Guitars, Vox Amps, RP80, MC4 and one faithful old dog http://www.soundclick.com/StainedGlassStudio

I wish I was the person my dog thinks I am.
    kine321
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 19:06:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Ann. I'm far from being a novice or have problems using DAWS.
    I have numerous programs that I use including Sonar 6 *Studio* version. I have a software addiction...

Being that I have this addiction... I was interested in picking up a copy of SHS7 version because it seems to have more of a groove
    box look or feel.

I know a lot of first timers have issues using CW programs in general and was simply curious whether this was easier for
    them?

I also just like the new look of HS7. Sometimes simple is better and quicker. Sometimes you need more advanced tools to do certain things. I like to use them all depending on my needs at the time. Please be careful not to catch the bug Ann Especially not
    the vst one! You'll be adding more hard drives before you know it.

gamblerschoice
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 22:59:01 (permalink)
    I have used two or more bass lines in songs before, and sometimes you take the chance of getting things muddied up, but I like a lot of bottom end, and if you use EQ and panning you can get some interesting sounds that most people will not notice, other than noticing the unusual sounds themselves. (did I say that right?)

Hey, Kine321, I realize you are trying to help Annette by warning her of the dangers of gear aquisition syndrome, but really, how can it be a bad thing to aquire more hard drives? I mean, more is good...right?
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 23:13:32 (permalink)
    What's that Spinal Tap song where everyone's playing bass? Big Bottom or something like that.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    RobertB
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 23:13:46 (permalink)
    VST's. VST's. VST's.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    gamblerschoice
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/23 23:35:49 (permalink)
    Spinal tap it was. I have used a real bass line, low on the neck, with a bass amp sim for bottom end, then played the same bass higher up the neck, through a guitar amp sim, get some snapping sounds and low/mid sound, and then a synth bass line a full octave below what the real bass can go, volume envelope and eq, to create a rumble that adds depth that can't even be heard, more felt.
    But, I am a little crazy, I like to do things just for fun, see if any one notices.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    kine321
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 00:59:15 (permalink)
    More hard drives= more room to feed the obsession! But you're right GC... more drives is never a bad thing.
    Got to go... vst's are calling my name.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 15:43:06 (permalink)
    Steve,

Big wicked sound! Mega drama anthem-ness. Very nice. I love those bass lines, man...stellar.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    gamblerschoice
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 15:51:24 (permalink)
    ..."Mega drama anthem-ness"...

That is rich...gotta commit that to memory.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 17:26:21 (permalink)

I'm liking the layout and the new features do seem to speed up the workflow Kine but I have one major reservation at the the moment - there seems to be no Track Inspector even though it's referred to in the help menu!

After adding my VST's, setting up my busses and doing some rough panning in HS6 I've found it great to be able to do most of my mixing in the Track View - this, assuming the rumours about there being no Inspector in 7, is a big disappointment to me.

To answer your question about novices, I'd say it's easier than HS7 but at the moment, it seems to mw to have been 'dumbed down' a bit too much for the more experienced user; I'm still new to it myself so as soon as I'm more acquainted I'll be able to give a more balanced appraisal.

Steve

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 17:31:00 (permalink)
    Pretty cool stuff steve. er....mr teddy bear?
    really liked the distortion guitar and bass when they kicked in. this is great for throwing it together after you got your new toys!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 18:12:03 (permalink)

Annette - get the bass, you know you have to Explain to hubsie that you need it to get that 'exact' tone for the song you're working on for him as a gift on St Valentines Day

Thanks for the kind words Kevin - you're right about the diversity of styles as well, I think the variety and the quality on offer is astounding.

Annette - you just have to get that bass BTW

Wow, thanks James - glad you liked it, all the guitar and bass guitar tones are courtesy of Line 6.

Get the bass get the bass get the bass get the bass Annette

Albert - I've never tried that technique you mention double tracking the bass an octave apart, I'll be sure to give it a try though - it would certainly help with the EQ dilemma. "Super-extra-fab-mega-octave-apartness" I'd say

Thanks Rick - I borrowed the bass runs from an old Stranglers song called Genetix - Jean-Jaques Burnel's bass is awesome all the way through but the bit I pinched is styled after the runs at 3:54 in the clip.

Reece - he he, I managed to get them all on there somehow - I suppose that means I can at least work them all!

I'm glad you mentioned the bear though - it's just a little bit of fun directed at Alan (ascottdesign) - he was mentioning in a thread in GT about saving his bungle files before reformatting his hard drive. Now we had a kids TV show called 'Rainbow' over here and the handsome feller you see in my avatar was a lovable bear called (conveniently) Bungle - I just couldn't resist it (sorry Alan ).

AnnetteAnnetteAnnetteAnnetteAnnetteAnnetteAnnetteAnnetteAnnette

Nutty
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/24 18:34:36 (permalink)
    LOL Steve,,,I'll certainly try, but the financial resevoir is a little short these days...but it would be nice. I try and do as many of the instruments I can on my own. I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/25 05:14:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

I'm liking the layout and the new features do seem to speed up the workflow Kine but I have one major reservation at the the moment - there seems to be no Track Inspector even though it's referred to in the help menu!

After adding my VST's, setting up my busses and doing some rough panning in HS6 I've found it great to be able to do most of my mixing in the Track View - this, assuming the rumours about there being no Inspector in 7, is a big disappointment to me.

To answer your question about novices, I'd say it's easier than HS7 but at the moment, it seems to mw to have been 'dumbed down' a bit too much for the more experienced user; I'm still new to it myself so as soon as I'm more acquainted I'll be able to give a more balanced appraisal.

Steve

Apparently Cake took out the Track Inspector for this version Steve..??? Can't think why, it's got to be an important part of most people's work-flow. Good job on this tune btw, I like it!

That main motif - did you get some subliminal inspiration..here..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuIRoVW-TXU

post edited by jamesg1213 - 2008/10/25 05:20:18

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/25 11:29:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Apparently Cake took out the Track Inspector for this version Steve..??? Can't think why, it's got to be an important part of most people's work-flow.

It seems to have gone James, along with the Track Manager. I don't generally use enough tracks to use the Manager but I know a few who are moaning about its omission in the HS forum.

As to the Inspector, it's in the HS7 help files and it mentions it has the same 'I' keystroke to toggle it on and off, but I can't get it working - I've heard nothing concrete in HS that it is or isn't there, I'll post an 'official' question in Samara's sticky thread to see if we get any joy with Cakewalk.

If it is missing, then my opinion is it's an enormous shot in the foot for Cakewalk - personally it's one of the really great improvements over GT (apart from the MIDI obviously) that I loved in HS6. My workflow improved immensely having it there when editing/mixing and if it's not available I'm probably going to end up recording in HS7 (to take advantage of the updated audio engine) and then mixing in HS6 - now to me that's a big disappointment.

It looks like a big backward step and I just don't see the thinking here - I can understand making the GUI easier to work with, but cleaning it up by removing one of the best features of the application is a ridiculous concept!

If I'd known this was the case I'd have probably stuck with HS6 and considered a move to SONAR 8 sometime next summer when the price will come down before 9 is released.

I can only hope my workaround solution will convince me I haven't wasted £39 on the upgrade - I'm still to get acquainted with the new stuff bundled in the XL pack - they may, as yet, soften the blow.

Anyway, I suppose it will teach me not to rush into things headlong and maybe let others find these things out! What promised to be the start of a great relationship with HS7 (as per my comments earlier on this week) may turn out to be a bit of a pig in a poke you know - time will tell!

I'm just hoping someones going to say "Strummy you daft pillock - here it is - you just press the so-and-so key" - I could put up with that sort of egg on the face! I've searched the help files again and been through all the menus so if it is about, it may well be hard to spot.

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Good job on this tune btw, I like it!

That main motif - did you get some subliminal inspiration..here..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuIRoVW-TXU

Funny you should mention that mate That's one of my favourite Mott the Hoople tracks but it wasn't till after I'd recorded it that I picked up on the similarity!

It's a well used cliche based around 'chopsticks' and I've heard it in loads of songs - Fast Eddie Clarke plays a version in the final section of Motorhead's marvellous Overkill (from 4:25) but the 'exact' source of my blatant rip-off comes from Priest's Beyond the Realms of Death (intro)

The 'chorus' parts (another steal!) were loosely based on Rob's vocals on Priest's Lost Love at around 1:40.

Glad you liked it James - I'll let you know when I've polished it up a bit in HS6

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/25 11:54:46 (permalink)
    If I'd known this was the case I'd have probably stuck with HS6 and considered a move to SONAR 8 sometime next summer when the price will come down before 9 is released.

Having been following the various gripes and bug threads over at HS, I think that's exactly what I'll be doing Steve. I don't see the point in 'upgrading' to a product that has less features.

It really seems to me that they've pushed HS7 out into the rain without it's coat on, so to speak.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: First go using all my new toys! 2008/10/25 12:04:37 (permalink)

James, I hope it is a bug, and not just a thoughtless omission - I'll post later and see if we can get some official notification.

Can you imagine how something like this would go down over in SONAR Towers!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1