First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know")

Author
groveendroad
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
2011/09/20 14:57:20 (permalink)

First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know")

My wife wanted to video tape some songs of mine, using her new recorder. So, I asked her to picked two songs that she  liked.  She picked "The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know".  I thought it would be cool to go live, and so I did. Just me and the piano.

I also thought it would be a good chance for all of you to know me a bit better.

You will find the videos under my songs @
http://www.reverbnation.com/user/login#!/silverbeat

Cheers, Terry

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know") 2011/09/20 15:46:40 (permalink)
    OK.... The audio is not what I would really enjoy listening to. The piano was easy to hear but the vox were buried in the piano and in need of some processing with EQ......  But you knew that. 

I like the way you did the other videos.... the music was recorded in the studio and synced to the video. 

I did a video of me playing "live" in my studio on a song recently. Using an inexpensive Flip camera and some cheap software, I recorded several takes on different parts of the song and lined them up to the music track.  A couple of hours to put the video together and post it to youtube. 

The camera needed to be closer as well... not shot from across the room. Intersperse some hands on the keys with closeup of you singing... make it a bit more interesting.  By using the recorded music version, even if it's just piano & vocal, you can have control over the elements in the music..... vocals and piano. The piano in the room sounded like it needed to have a visit from the piano tuner man to tweeze a few of the notes. Midi would solve that and properly synced, no one would know it wasn't live.  Put a mic up there and same deal.... it doesn't even have to be on.  Just be sure it has a cable on it for proper looks..... 

I know you are probably just experimenting, but.... it's easy enough to do and make it look and sound 1000% better with just a little bit of work. I would expect to see a video like that if it was you in a recital or in a church playing/singing a special number.  

With her new camera, and some software, both of you guys get together and spend some time working on a video. Some editing software...or even Windows Movie Maker will give pretty good results. 

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/09/20 15:48:12

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    groveendroad
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re:First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know") 2011/09/20 17:07:50 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker, thank you very much for the info, great stuff as always

I was hoping it would have come out better than it did, but I only want to do videos with me at the piano and nothing more at all. I know I could do better, but I hope I'm on the right track

Thanks again, Terry
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know") 2011/09/20 19:15:00 (permalink)
    Reminds me of Liberace
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know") 2011/09/21 09:39:50 (permalink)
    +1 on the audio quality being too much to get thru
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know") 2011/09/23 20:12:19 (permalink)
    Great tune and video +1
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:First time video ("The Nights Are Long Without You" and "Your Mother Should Know") 2011/09/23 22:51:10 (permalink)
    Terry,  I echo what Herb said.   I had a hard time hearing the vocals, also they seemed to be left-channel heavy for some reason.  What do you use for a mic?

You still got that 60s sound.  I thought Nights would flow better if it was just a hair faster.  I like watching the video, it does help to know you.  You look tall on TV :)

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1