Helpful ReplyFlat Speakers

Author
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
2017/05/03 11:22:50 (permalink)

Flat Speakers

Hi
I can see when mixing that flat response speakers do that job. In my little home studio I have a old pair of Tapco S5 monitors and they do sound a little better than my Tyros 5 keyboards Ts05 speakers.
My pain is that the Tapco speakers being flat response sound very flat to me and boxy.
Is there a set of decent monitors that can give a flat response for mixing and maybe a switch to get back sound like a quality hi -fi.
Does anyone know what I mean??
I would like some help as to me flat sounds,sound very flat and when playing for pleasure flat does not sound great to me.
Just a little question.

All the Best
john
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/03 15:17:13 (permalink)
The tapco's are live speakers, I believe, which explains some if not most of your sound problems.

Re:  in audio speak, "flat" means flat on a graphed chart, no large deviation from 0 in reproduction from the original signal.  But we know what you mean when you say "flat" tho, as in no depth or perception of depth (air) in and around a sound.  Tho that is not "boxy," which means congestion around a recorded sound, as if you recorded it inside a deadening box.

Others may know some other, decent, low-cost monitors, but the best one's at cost I know of are the Yamaha Msp speakers.  I've used pro studios that have the 5s as near fields, and they work.  The HS series is more popular, and I doubt if there is a great deal of end user difference between the series, but the HS is more listenable, like a home speaker.  The MSP doesn't try to "improve" the sound, just the facts.  For under a $1000 a pair, the MSP 7 are the speakers I'd buy to replace my mains, and they are $600 or so.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
glennstanton
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/03 17:26:39 (permalink)
in addition to the speakers, the room plays a huge role in what you hear. so when you look at a graph of the speaker response, the test is usually conducted with an infinite baffle or in an anechoic chamber. so between  flat response speaker and your room (modes, reflections etc) you have something you find uncomfortable - and perhaps this can be a good thing when doing some final checks but not for mixing. altering your room response, speaker and seating position etc can all help to make these speakers work better for you but if you cannot find any music material that sounds right (meaning you know the mix etc is all good on a commercial recording) then you should consider some other monitors. that said, "nice sounding" or "hifi" speakers are also a problem as they can enhance things during your mix so your translation of the mix fails on other systems... 

-- Glenn

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/03 18:56:05 (permalink)
I find my Yamaha NS 10's which are now sold as powered as mentioned above, sound fair enough for just listening to pre recorded music. But as said in the second post, it is because that's in my studio chair where I'm used to listening. The room is important. 
I put then in my front room once as a Hi Fi  set and they were all midrange and no warmth like my Missions or Paradigm's are. And then if I try the Missions or Paradigm's in the studio they are way too much bass and very inaccurate. So, my studio monitors suck as Hi Fi speakers in the front room, but sound fine in the studio, And my Hi Fi Speakers sound great in the front room but suck in the studio. 

In my studio I also have my Alto TS 112's PA set up for proofing my backing tracks with the system I use live. The Alto's for the money are a super nice sounding speaker, very full and I'd say accurate too. So if what your looking for is powered speakers , cheap, and are a lot of fun, check out the Alto's if what you want is to blast your songs at higher SPL. Your Tapco's should be just fine as near fields, I do believe Mackie and Tapco are connected somehow. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/05/04 22:50:28

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

igiwigi
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/03 21:32:18 (permalink)
Hi

Thanks to everyone who has explained the situation for me as I am still learning about the mixing side and at the moment I do my mix  things with my AKG earphones and my Old tapco S5  Monitors which I do not rate at all.
After I generally try out on my Marantz hi-fi to hear if the songs are any good.
I see what AT is saying ,mean't for live rather than studio work,but I thought when starting to mix that these were studio monitors for the bedroom musician.
I will go out to the music shops and have a listen to the speakers that you are talking about.
Anyway ,here is what I get up to with my lowly tapco's
A special thanks to Mr Cactus for he has helped me on a number of occassions--- john
https://soundcloud.com/silver-machine

All the best
John
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/03 22:08:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rob[at]Sound-Rehab 2017/05/04 10:57:24
Re-read Glenn's post above. That's the critical piece of information you need for your quest.

Spending a lot of money on speakers is a complete waste, unless you measure and treat your room. In an untreated bedroom/basement/garage studio you are literally better off mixing with some decent headphones than with even high-end speakers.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/03 23:46:07 (permalink)
The 2004 Sound on Sound review of the Tapco S5 nearfields is pretty complimentary.
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tapco-s5

If you're determined to adjust their sound for listening to music rather than mixing I think the easiest answer is to use the eq built into Windows Media Player or iTunes.

Another way of looking at things is that if you are very familiar with how good commercially released recordings sound through your nearfields it's helpful when mixing your own stuff.

And the thing about monitors is that they're not meant to sound nice, warm and laid back.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/04 04:17:34 (permalink)
Firstly I would listen to really well mixed and mastered music on your speakers in your room.  If that sounds great then you have both a good set of speakers and an adequate room acoustic that will let you hear them. That should be got out of the way first. (Sting - 'Brand New Day' or Steely Dan 'Everything Must Go' or 'Two Against Nature') 

(If that does not sound great then you maybe in need of both a better set of monitors and the room treatments mentioned here)

If that test is good then it is you who is not producing a satisfying mix. You are thinking about your tools instead of looking closer at what you may be doing. 

The Tapco speakers you mentioned are not live speakers either.  Not sure where that came from.  According to the SOS article they are ideal for a project studio. 

But then again maybe you could spend a little more on a better pair of speakers such as Yamaha HS7's for example. They have got a nice balance of low end to the mids and highs.  Although an 8" driver is going to get you into some lower frequencies a little better. 

A mix can sound however you want it to.  It can be nice, warm and laid back.  If your monitors are not meant to sound nice then what are they meant to sound like? It is the engineer that can make monitors sound nice.  I witnessed a situation in a studio where a pair of Yamaha NS10's were setup and a quick listening test revealed they sounded horrible.  (as they do!!) But then the engineer mixed this lovely track on them and all that horribleness just drifted away and the sound turned into gold.  In fact they sounded nice, warm and laid back!  In this case the engineer just overpowered the sound of the speakers and took control creating a beautiful rich balanced sound. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/04 22:56:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/05/05 13:44:58
 I witnessed a situation in a studio where a pair of Yamaha NS10's were setup and a quick listening test revealed they sounded horrible.  (as they do!!) But then the engineer mixed this lovely track on them and all that horribleness just drifted away and the sound turned into gold.  In fact they sounded nice, warm and laid back!  In this case the engineer just overpowered the sound of the speakers and took control creating a beautiful rich balanced sound

And this is possibly why the wisdom is- " if you can make your mix sound good on the NS10's then your mix will sound amazing no matter what you play it on" 

I think there is a danger in mixing on speakers that sound great no matter what is put up on them. 
Another popular "boring" speaker is the little Auratone's. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

igiwigi
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/23 10:58:57 (permalink)
Hi To Everyone
Sorry for late reply

I have fiddled with the Tapcos and I am getting a far greater sound out of them than before.
I will of course try the Yamaha Hs 7/8 out when Yamaha bring out the Genos or Tyros 6
I have for ages been using the Tyros 5 sounds and now starting to get Into the VST side.Also want to combine the two.

Thanks for all of your help and especially to Johnny who has helped me In the past.

All the Best
John
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/23 14:43:35 (permalink)
just remember,
faking out your speakers to sound 'hyped', without balancing them with the room,
and knowing how they translate,
will send you down the rabbit hole.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/23 17:30:17 (permalink)
igiwigi
Hi
I can see when mixing that flat response speakers do that job. In my little home studio I have a old pair of Tapco S5 monitors and they do sound a little better than my Tyros 5 keyboards Ts05 speakers.
My pain is that the Tapco speakers being flat response sound very flat to me and boxy.
Is there a set of decent monitors that can give a flat response for mixing and maybe a switch to get back sound like a quality hi -fi.
Does anyone know what I mean??
I would like some help as to me flat sounds,sound very flat and when playing for pleasure flat does not sound great to me.
Just a little question.

All the Best
john

A few years ago, I had a box called the KRK Ergo.  It came with a mic, and measured the frequency responses at various parts of your room, and then EQ'd what you hear to compensate.  It worked really well, and had the on/off feature that you had mentioned.
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/krk-ergo

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/24 16:01:05 (permalink)
This plugin may be what you need.  There's a 30 day trial.

FYI:  It uses iLok.

https://shop.audified.com/collections/products/products/mixchecker

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/24 16:14:20 (permalink)
Nearfield vs hifi is also a consideration.  The way the speakers project makes a HUGE difference

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/26 15:33:24 (permalink)
BobF
Nearfield vs hifi is also a consideration.  The way the speakers project makes a HUGE difference

yes, you really should not use 'stereo speakers' for mix decisions.
they have already been HYPED by design.
just the opposite of what you want.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

JohanSebatianGremlin
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Flat Speakers 2017/05/26 23:25:34 (permalink)
You're asking about flat speakers, but I think your premise is flawed right from the get go. This is because chances are better than not that your tapco speakers which you believe be flat are in fact anything but flat. A spectrum analyzer and a very good reference mic would tell you for sure but most of us don't have access to those kinds of things.

Very few speakers are truly flat and even if they are, as has been mentioned, the room you put them in can change that completely. What you're really looking for is speakers that are 'uncolored' i.e. speakers that don't try to artificially alter the source material in some kind of pleasing way. Once you find those, you have to put them in the room you're going to use them in and then you have to 'learn' them. Which means you have to start building mixes on them and then take those mixes and play them on as many other systems as possible to see how accurately they translate on the whole. 

Once you do that, you learn what kind of compensation, if any, you need to make when you mixing i.e. less punch than you ultimately want in the low end or more sizzle than you really want in the highs etc.

Obviously the ideal is to not have to do any compensation at all. But those systems/rooms are rare. If you can get it dialed in to where you're making only very minor compensations, call it good and get to work IMO.  

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1