Helpful ReplyFletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues...

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2010/09/02 02:31:46 (permalink)

Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues...

Vocals rule the song at low levels!  Low levels seem perhaps to be the 'pop-norm' ... despite loudness wars and commercial genres.  I may be wrong.

Brashiness ... Distortion guitars and gritty kick/bass rape our attention, too, and send your/my other instruments scouring into timidity.

Thus, Garage Band palettes and Symphany palettes don't marry well ... and a busy mix ... grates the ears with accumulative distortions.

Yet, a naked lead vox is not my cup of tea for repeat listening.

No matter how sweet the band instruments ... they suddenly lose sweetness once the lead vox creeps in.  Most radio-TV songs (and my songs) are dissonant because of this ... despite clever lyrics.

A child listener may subconsciously detect vox-brashness and crave only the instruments (IIRC my past).

But if the vox is gently-lovingly blended ... like Peter, Paul, and Mary ... the child doesn't even care about Peter's awkward despairing guitar performance.

Your/my ears are designed to crave the vocals ... especially women and children vocs (3.5 kHz)  ... the shrieking soprano of rock stars is especially intimidating at low levels.  Stairway to Heaven's astonishing vox finale is, necessarily, very subdued and buffered by instruments and/or harmonic saturations? 

So how do you vox artists (singers, mixers, arrangers, mastering engineers, writers (great or small)) ponder these grim vocal issues?
post edited by Philip - 2010/09/02 02:50:27

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 08:53:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Philip...sometimes I have no idea what exactly you're getting at.  I'm trying here...

Look.  Listening back to the end of Stairway To Heaven.  That vocal is absolutely not subdued.  It's perfect.  Easy to hear...easy to understand.  But the arrangement of instruments is such that it also sits on top very easily.

That vocal performance is also doubled at the very least.  At points it sounds as if it might have even been tripled.  That's one of the reasons you're hearing harmonic goodies in there, for sure.

And finally, the song wasn't destroyed in mastering.  Transients all in tact....dynamics are all very natural.  If you took this song and mastered it with today's parameters in this genre, my guess would be that the vocal would then have to compete with the rest of the instrumentation much more.

I'm of the opinion that song arrangement and performance arrangement are WAY important to vocals.  You can't throw EVERYTHING at the listener at one time.  You have to leave space for the vocal to live.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 09:02:30 (permalink)
Philip..... yeap.... have to agree with Skull.... you lost me...but on the bright side...... you have a promising   future in writing political speeches if you ever need a job.

On the topic... to the best of my understanding.... a vocal should fit the song, and fit into the song..... if not... the songwriter needs to rewrite it.  Skulls last sentence is right on the money.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 11:33:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
PHILIP...
i totally get where you're coming from.
LOL
it's the single most frustrating mix issue for me, after dialing in bass guitar.

i think, most people listen to VOCALS, and simply expect them to sit on top of everything else, BECAUSE they have been focusing on pop music mixes.

i was listening to a classic rock tune last night, Boston's "Smokin' "

i noticed that brad delp's vocal was, at times, WELL below the electric guitar, and if it just wasn't for his gift-from-god vocals being so strong, he'd be buried.

well, that song did real well.

someone, who, i don't know, the producer, scholz, decided the vocal rocked more, and sat better, being fairly way down in the mix.

it's strictly a judgement call, at the time of mixing, by both the mixer, and the artist.

you can make or break a vocal performance, with a crappy or uninspired mix.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 11:34:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
listen to that same boston album, "hitch a ride", and the vocal is mixed completely different.

and, the music is much lighter.
coincidence?
no.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 11:38:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
the bottom line is, for me, when i listen to my own mixes of my own material, at LOW volume, the vocal always seems too loud for my tastes.

if i really crank the monitors up, sometimes, they almost blend evenly with the music.

at EVERY volume level, they change.

the accepted volume level for mixing, among professional mixers, seems to be about 85 db.

i say, start, there, and make the call.

i HATE mixes, where the vocals poke out as if there's nothing else going on.
sounds very amateurish to me.

but that's me.
man, it's just infinitely variable, ain't it?!
:D

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

guitardog247
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 11:51:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Vox at low levels, high levels (up front)........
It's all a case by case basis. Can vary per artist, producer, microphone, song/mix....
And even then it's all subjective anyway.......

Again, hate to play the "it is what is it" theme and the "if it sounds good, it is good" mantra. But it's true.

I have heard some releases where the vox are very up front, and it sounds great. And some where the vox are low, but work. And some mixes, even major releases, have me scratching my head.

Oh and like others. I'm not sure what King Phillip is getting at. But he's an interesting writer nonetheless.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 12:09:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I feel that somewhere in the 80's the vocal mix has been pushed further out and further out... Now the vocals seem to be the "featured" aspect of the mix....  when I listen to older recordings 60's-70's the vocal at times were treated as another instrument that could blend into the music and or pop out for clarity.. the vocals in general were not as "present" either giving an illusion of distance from the listener.

If you listen to vocals in "most popular" music lately it is filled with synth or vocoder style accompaniment with the vocals to thicken (and pitch correct) them....  this was not even invented back in the 60's 70's for vocal work so things have changed a lot...

I find a very fine line when placing the vocal in the mix...  and it is based on the opinion/judgement of the engineer, but .5db can have a drastic effect in a vocal mix when chained through multiple processors and busses.... sometimes I feel the "stair step" of digital audio cause small problems with this (Like when using a Neve Capricorn -Older Digital console- I remember wanting to be able to send a level to a bus in betweeen the given stair step of the digital send to get the volume right but couldn't... not so bad anymore... most DAW will do 1/10th of a db adjustment)

I find that today's standards also require a much more compressed range, especially dealing with things like the "distorted instruments" so commonly used today... I find I HAVE to heavily compress things like this just to make room for other instrumentation and create the "spacial" depth that is so commonly demanded nowadays....

I still prefer treating the vocal more as an instrument itself that can go from out in front to blend to backround within the same song depending on the mood/melody/feel of the tune... Like Zepplin was great at being just above the band so that the music slammed but everything was clear but if you listen at times the band is out front and the vocals are more of a blend with the band.... this is generally where they used the verb/delay effects heavily and then when the vocal comes back up in the mix the effects go away(mostly)... this was commonly done back then..

Basically up to what you have to work with (recorded tracks and musician talent, etc) and the tools you have to work with (DAW, outboard/onboard/plug-ins, etc) and what the engineer (Producer in most cases) wants it to sound like.... all too often I will have a great mix (to my ears) and the producer wants more vocal so that is why it ends up that way.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 12:21:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
The first trick is to get a good recording, which includes many things.  writing/arranging the song so there is room for it and the performer's take on it is the most important thing.  A place for everything and everything in its place.

Next up is the mic and placement and room and preamp.  All of these help (or hurt).  Lately I've been able to use some really nice preamps here at home and the difference they make is a good thing.  Even better "prosumer" interface preamps often fail to deliver enough gain to back the singer away from the mic so the vocal can "breathe," w/o crapping out slightly.  Really good electronics operate well at the extremes, which lower grade ones strain at.

Once you reach a certain level of recording craftsmanship you crave that little extra bit.  I've got a producer I've worked with and she got a focusrite One.  Now she complains that on her own stuff she has to watch her own recording performances, esp. w/ pitch, since she can hear the small flaws better now.  And she's been making a living at music for 20+ years, band success in Europe, bla bla bla (tho she has only been doing other's recording for a few).

A quality mic, some attention to your recording room and a high gain preamp will make a lot of the struggle to "fit" an instrument or vox into a song go away while leaving some air or space between each element.  Something like the Focusrite w/ up to 80 dB of gain and some transfomer gooeyness for $500.  Lately I've been playing w/ the new RND Portico II channel strip and my home brewed stuff sounds like it came out of a big studio - as long as I do it a single line at a time.  A little compression and EQ going in helps settle the instruments, too.  Hopefully I can get a drummer over here and see if a single mic technique can work.  All other things being equal, $6700 will get you a hell of a stereo front end and mixing through set up.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
jasonthurley
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 12:22:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Just thought I would add... back in the first days of recording into the 50's the vocal was WAY out in front of almost everything instrumental was background music in todays standards as most people listened to the radio at that time and it was not loud or full frequency....

Vocals nowadays seem to have an exaggerated sound (like piercing high's and a thicker low-mid end) as opposed to the original goal of recording .. which was to capture the sound exactly, or as close to it, as it sounds when you are listening to it accoustically... that has all changed...

Good, Yes... Bad.. Yes... comes down to taste and skill...
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 18:11:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
One of the problems here is simply getting the vocal to sit at the right level compared to the music. This is one area many get wrong.

You cannot do this on your normal monitors up loud. It is just too hard. The only way to do it is you need a small mono Auratone type speaker. You listen to your mix through that at quite a low volume level. eg 75 db SPL or less. It becomes so obvious that the vocal is either too soft or too loud. Once you get it sitting nicely in the small speaker it will sound perfect and great in the big speakers. They used Auratones for years in many many studios producing many many big hits where the vocals are sitting nicely. Everyone forgets this.

I can see where Phiilip is coming from. And what about the music itself. Maybe there is just too much going on and it needs some serious editing. In situations where the vocals sit really well in a mix , usually the music is also perfectly edited behind.

Vocal compression also needs to be pretty strong and really keep them at a very constant level. Many well known engineers use a lot of compression on vocals and push the vocals hard with the compressor. It does not matter if you do because you want the vocals to be level most of the time and only a good compressor can do it right. And it is usally a pop scenario wher the vocals need to be even and heard all the time.

And if you want  vocals to be heard through a wall of guitars it may be necessary to EQ the guitar buss to allow for them a bit. Be careful with other things pushing hard right in the same frequency range of the vocals. Masking will tend to take over if you dont allow for them.

But the small speaker is just excellent not only for vocals but for getting your mix right too. I just dont know how I would ever survive without it. (like VU meters for example)

I am about to mix a track for a friend in Indonesia. It is sort of heavy metal and Indonesian rap if you can imagine that. I have talked about this before but you need to do some serious editing on the vocal track in another editing program before you even mix the track. The vocal track is OK but a bit over the place level wise. I am going to trim all the peaks down and do rms normalise so I end up with a very consistent vocal track. (every word) And all this before I even mix in Sonar. Further compression will go on. The vocals will end up being very clear all the way through. This pre editing work is necessary because I know they are going to want to hear all the vocals all the time. The original dynamics of the vocal track is totally unimportant in this situation. The other good thing about pre level vocal editing is the compressors have a much easier time of it and also if you have a very even vocal level then you can afford to turn them down a bit in the mix without loosing them at all.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
jasonthurley
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/02 21:07:43 (permalink)
Very well played.. umm... said. Jeff.

Is there a doctor in the house? Jeff just fixed the problem.
guitardog247
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/03 00:54:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I didn't know there was anything to be fixed. Jeff said good things, which are all general rules of thumb and technique.

But King Philip mentioned grim vox and what not.

"getting the vocal to sit at the right level compared to the music" - this is still very subjective.  IMO.

I still hear in modern day recordings vocal levels all over the place (note: i do not listen to commercial radio/music).  And it's a case by case basis. Sometimes a less compressed, way up front vox, is right for a particular style and piece.
Sometimes, a more conservative, compressed, lower in the mix, is more fitting for a commercial style. Modern rock/pop, with all it's pieces, needs mass compression, it's the norm. I love to compress the hell out of my vox to get them to sit the way i want them to.
well I'm off to work on vox and compressing them.......

jasonthurley
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/03 10:30:05 (permalink)
guitardog247

I didn't know there was anything to be fixed. Jeff said good things, which are all general rules of thumb and technique.

I meant that listening to levels at a lower spl will help you find the groove/perfect nitch/place for your vocal.... if you do this you shouldn't have a problem with balancing the vocal and music(to your personally liking of course)...

Compression, compression compression.... thank the compressor God
guitardog247
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/03 10:43:57 (permalink)
Oh right, I see.

Yup, and uber compression for uber vox.

AT
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/03 10:56:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
A lot of good tips for fitting vox - or any lead element - into a mix.  In order of importance:

design - of the music and front element.  Other elements shouldn't step on the lead's frequencies too hard or they mask it.

recording - a good recording really helps.  For vox doubling and whisper takes can help add susbstance, too.

leveling - getting a good, consistent vol level, which is the end goal.  This can be accomplished in a stereo editor like Jeff Evens sez.  Or/or use automation.  Finally there is compression, parallel and serial compression .  Using a combination of these techniques is usually more natural than "slamming" any one of them.

I usually use a little hardware compression going in - not much, mostly getting some analog kind of sound into my digital recording (which has its own compression).  Usually less than 2 to 1 and slow attack release.

I seldom edit in Sound Forge unless there are problems.  But silencing the spaces between verses/chorus for vox in Sonar is a good idea.  A lot of noise can build up in the silences.  get rid of it.

Automation, just like riding the faders in the good ole days, but more precise and you don't have to grow extra arms.

High Pass filter.  Again, a lot of junk in the low frequencies can creep into even a good recording and removing it doesn't impact the voice, even if you are Barry White.  On females I've gone up toward 200 Hz.

Finally, after several "compression" stages already, add the compressor to the vox.  I find that the prep work evening out the volume helps this compression keep a nice even level.

Remember, mastering will also impact the ratio between lead and rhythm.  Limiting raises and separates the background instrumentation some.  And keeps the lead/vox from jumping out over all your beautiful instruments.

And as said above, different styles/songs can have different ratios.  And different vol listening levels will change the reality of the mix.  But if you keep a lot of the midrange clear except for vox and leads they will still float.  The trick is to make sure everything else doesn't dissapear at low volume.  They won't sound the same - but they shouldn't become invisible, either.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/03 13:42:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
batsbrew

i think, most people listen to VOCALS, and simply expect them to sit on top of everything else, BECAUSE they have been focusing on pop music mixes. 

you can make or break a vocal performance, with a crappy or uninspired mix.

So true. 
I'm not sure what songs Fletcher and Munson did but there are
so many potent points in this thread by all.....(thank you)

Also AT's great notes on getting a good level is HUGE as saving a lot of ducktaping the rest of the mix.

I'm always amazed at how very different every vocal is in songs sung by the same singer.
For me, the one most determining quality to it turning out better than other mixes is that the levels are in a place that don't distort but have as much as you can get to pick up the character, emotion, psyche, DNA of the vocal and not just the notes.  A real good vocal track will convey just how much wine i've had and even whether it was Cabernet Sauvignon or pinot noir.
It's funny how compression can add a quality to a vocal but how it more often takes other qualities away in the process. 
How often a vocal (like one i'm ducktaping now) just doesn't have it.

I've also learned that even a very well mixed/performed vocal of a mediocre or average singer (me) is no comparison to even a mediocre mix of a voice that has real sparkle.   It's just not fair!
post edited by No How - 2010/09/03 13:46:36

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
guitardog247
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/03 13:49:09 (permalink)
No How

I've also learned that even a very well mixed/performed vocal of a mediocre or average singer (me) is no comparison to even a mediocre mix of a voice that has real sparkle.   It's just not fair!

Oh I hear that.

Philip
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/04 17:33:10 (permalink)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Philip
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/04 17:35:03 (permalink)
I've laboriously read and re-read each of your posts and, OK, there are many deep and explicit responses ... also, several of you masters have re-posted ... validating the F-M concern and vox spooks that are hurting so many of our mixes.  You've won my heart and mind.

Did I say "vox spooks"?  Not a bad thing, IMO, seeing vox spooks can be *fixed* better than Mr. uber-high-octane's virtuoso vox ... which, TBH, is also exceptionally spooky to my 'better ears' ...

(IOWs, I doubt Christ ever sang like Mr. know-it-all virtuoso or Mr. cool-vox rapper.  OTOH, a supposed Christ-like vox is probably subject to personal quirks and all the current styles ... but with strong repining love or something.  You decide.) 
But consider (again): 

Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter Paul and Mary) performed with TLC (loving manner) does exceedingly attract children and pop-audiences ... despite it not being a stay-awake-at-the-wheel type of song. 

vs.

Stairway to Heaven's Finale: so smeared, harmonically saturated, and/or pleasing to the ears that the rooster-vox probably will be remembered and blessed by many ... despite its lyrical daze and confusion.

Still we're given special tools to make our vocs rule, FWIW.
Producers/Singers: My current-conscience cries: Fix the spooks so your/my targeted kid or pop audience can at least sit happily for 1-2 minutes of your/my song!  If you can hypnotize the child further ... tell me how to do it.

Also, a little compassion goes a long way for vocals, methinks!  None of you touched on that! 

My cynicism, like bad-wine, turns my songs into politic writing and hypocrisy.  I hope to apply the love that PP&M and Robert Plant once had ... but not go to hell.

This thread rants of pioneering masters who know full well that vox is the make-it-or-break-it way to obtain total satisfaction in songs. 
Thank you all for most thoughtful posts!
post edited by Philip - 2010/09/04 17:37:15

Philip  

MasterInTheMix
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/06 19:13:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
This is my first post (that I actually got in the right place), so please pardon my faux pas as I learn the ettiquite, etc. I really enjoyed reading the above posts, but I feel like I'd like to back up and get first things first. I guess the first thing after singing lessons is the microphone?

When do you get to diminishing returns as you're paying more and more for your vocal mic? Is a $10,000 mic really better than a $1,000 mic? a $300 mic? (do I dare even mention) a $100 mic? 

At what point are the music listeners (the folks we're serving, right?) going to listen and say "Gee, this could have been a classic - I wish they had recorded it with a better mic"? At what point have you lost your mind and become just a target for a slick microphone salesman? What is the majority opinion about a reasonably good vocal mic?

Can we name names? What is the cheapest AKG you would use? Cheapest EV? Cheapest Neuman?

Does a jazz vocal need a better mic than a country vocal? hard rock vocal?

Should we all just get an MXL-V6 and an SM7 and call it good? When does it just become snobbery as far as the end user of the music is concerned? 
Philip
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/06 19:57:33 (permalink)
Welcome MasterInTheMix,

All the mics you mention have their fanatical followers, IMHO.  AKG 414c ($1000) is the cheapest I'd use in that line.

But pre-Amps are far more make-or-break-it to listeners ... perhaps indirectly.

If I spend hours fixing a recording ... the pre-Amp's to blame (not just my mic technique) ... the vox takes failed! 

To be sure, an RME 400 pre totally sucks for me.

But a $2000+ pre-amp with outboard compressor and EQ ... that is able to de-ess and consistently smooth out the spics from any reasonable mics. 

The 'Avalon Vt 737' is extremely popular for this reason and is the heart of my workstation to be sure.  I wish someone forced me to buy this before buying quality mics.

A good mic AKG or Newman condensor gives a rich colored vox more suitable for Melodyne manipulations.  Pop audiences seem to require pitch-correction. 

Off-pitch vocs are extremely awkward to me to listen to ... and perhaps other audiophiles.

Likewise, if I want to make colorful vox formant and pitch changes I may do better with a top-notch mic that captures subtle timbres and difficult frequencies accurately ... one that enables Melodyne to work its pop-magic well.
post edited by Philip - 2010/09/06 19:59:53

Philip  

AT
Re:Fletcher Munson Curves and Grim Vocal Issues... 2010/09/07 01:34:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
The RND Portico II channel strip I'm using for a while makes my at home recordings sound like they went through a big board at a major studio.  So, $3300?

But nothing that makes the song/performance better once you reach a certain level.  A lot of the really high end stuff doesn't make much of a difference except to engineers and golden eared types.  It does make the job of recording/mixing easier tho - even if it is just mind games.  I've heard good stuff from the same singer at different times while at the same studio in the same room w/ the same engineer recording her voice on a $1000 mic (the discontinued cheap? Soundelux u 195), a  '47 and now they have a Sony 800.  They all sounded good and thinking back couldn't tell you which was better.  Probably the Sony, and hopefully I could tell the difference if I listened to them all at once.  So the answer is $1000.  I've gotten good stuff from the same singer here at home from a focusite isa one and an Oktava mc 012 (I got it for less than a $100 when guitar center was blowing them out years ago).  So, $500 for the signal chain?  But she sounded good on my interface preamps, too.

If you know what you are doing, shop around you can get good sound fairly cheap.  Still, I'd rather have the Portico and not have to worry about it.  I'll hate to send it back.

@

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1