Helpful ReplyFocusing Music in Sonar

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2014/07/29 21:57:58 (permalink)

Focusing Music in Sonar

Recording, mixing, mastering and marketing music.

This is a thread to discuss how other people do these things, in particular in Sonar. Please spare no words here in your replies...

For some people dreaming up a song is the hard part. Sometimes it is not the song or the parts that are wrong but how these parts are mixed and how they need to be processed in a standardized a way.

Each song is different but all songs have to fit within the same spectrum of human hearing.

Keeping this in mind, how does one "focus" a mix? What are your effects chains, how do you set stuff? How do you visualize the sound? Do you use color graphs to represent your waves in real-time, how do you interpret and analyse the music mix in color?

It looks more easy with a camera because it seems you just turn a dial and stop where it appears the best. But the problem with music is getting rid of so much mud but not that you leave it too empty.

I could talk on about this a lot myself, mostly questions, but how about if people leave tips here and helpful information on how you "focus songs in Sonar". A digital audio recorder focuses in on a "scene" of instruments.

How do you decide which instruments will play when and what forms do you incorporate into song structures and how do you automate these elements into a final product?

How do you pick your instruments? How do you blend them? How do you take a lot of continuous tracks and decide which one will make a peep in a moment's second in a song? There can be thousands of notes and in a song.

Music editing can be a nightmare. When do you say no to a song that may just be too big to make? A seventeen minute song, how do you ever finish it? Every time you hear it you just keep editing and editing and editing and it seems you will never get it done. Everyday the song sounds totally different.

How do you focus it?

It comes to hearing it somehow, to hearing what the song is trying to say midst a lot of overly loud other instruments.

Each moment in time the focus needs to bend in some angle and the song finds another flavor of musical progression.

All along everything in the mix needs to be put in tastefully complementary places and set perfectly in the virtual sound space.

It seems this focusing of the song is the most critical step of all.

Sometimes move the focus and the song blurs more, sometime it gets more clear and vibrant.

Please help out here and expand on this discussion.

It is of course the greatest thing for a song having the perfect parts simply performed so all you do is set the volumes and that is it. But not all songs are like that, some are watercolor impressions, patchworks and some very complex geometrical patterns and mathematical shapes.

How do you perceive song style and how does that factor into the way the mix is focused?

Eq, reverb, surround versus stereo. How do you set the mix what are the standards you go by? This is a discussion so all musical input on the processes of making music in Sonar is welcome here.

How do you focus music in Sonar? How do you polish and shine the image of the music? How do you fit the parts into their place in the mix? How do you make a final product that is ready for world distribution?

Please leave comments.

Thanks
post edited by RexRed - 2014/07/30 03:24:41
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/07/30 11:29:48 (permalink)
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Techniques-f9.aspx

Ook! This where we find da answer! 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/07/31 13:35:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby g_randybrown 2014/12/29 09:07:54
"Focus" in mixing is the process of drawing the listener's attention to one or two important elements at a time. Human brains can really only listen to one or two things at once, so at each point in the mix you have to decide what they should be focusing on for that particular verse, phrase, fill or effect and make sure it has enough space in the mix to rise above everything else. "Space" in this context mainly refers to using panning and equalization to mitigate masking.

Rex, you might get more participation in this thread if the topic weren't so broad. It needs a little "focus".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/07/31 14:14:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby g_randybrown 2014/12/29 09:16:19
In electronic music, I think of mixing as what the conductor does in terms of balancing instruments, phrasing, getting dynamics to sound right, finalizing tempos, etc. 

There's the composition of a piece (melody, harmony, counterpoint, orchestration, motives, themes, form/structure, feel, style, mood, etc.) and then there's the interpretation of that music, in other words how does it actually sound?  Music production, to my mind, is the interpretation of composition.  If you're using samples of acoustic instruments the problem of how much musicality you can give to every phrase you write has a lot to do with 1) how much you know about the composition and performance of music, and 2) how much you know about MIDI programming.  What a live player does intuitively, physically and, somewhat, spontaneously, in computer-based composition and production the musician must do conceptually and through the programming of envelope, velocity, note length, articulation, location relative to the beat and so forth.  If you're using synths, you have to understand signal path, oscillators, envelopes, LFOs, signal processing, steppers, arpeggiators, in other words synth programming and editing.  

Between synthesizers, sample libraries, sequencing, composition and production, you're looking at years of study, years of practice and years of trial-and-error.  Get good teachers and/or enroll in classes that will help you learn what you want to learn.  There are no shortcuts to excellence. 

You're asking a lot of good questions concerning both the composition and production of music--each one of those a complete subject in itself.  To get the answers is going to take effort and patience on your part.

My experience is that almost any intelligent person, with the proper training and motivation, can learn music production. Of course having natural talent in it is helpful.  Composition is more difficult, that is if we're talking about writing anything more complex than a 2 or 3 minute song.  Good composers usually have a high capacity for abstract thinking, the more complex and lengthy the piece, the more abstract thinking ability is required!  Where there's talent and motivation, there's the potential to write and produce something good, maybe even excellent. 

To hear a fully orchestrated symphonic movement I finished a few weeks ago which demonstrates some of the concepts I introduced above, go here:  www.jerrygerber.com/symphony9.htm

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/07/31 15:04:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby g_randybrown 2014/12/29 09:41:32
Some random tips...

1. Don't fall in love with a part just because it's cool. If it doesn't serve the song, nuke it.
2. The mute button is your friend. The fewer elements you have competing for the listener's attention, the more importance each element has.
3. It is your job to direct the listener toward what you want them to hear.
4. Think of the frequency spectrum as a finite resource. The elements sharing it have to respect each others' space.
5. The best production, arranging, and engineering skills in the world can't save a song people don't want to hear.
6. The worst production, arranging, and engineering skills in the world can't kill a song people do want to hear.
7. Low frequencies are the hardest to get right. That's where room acoustics, transducers, and the human ear have the greatest difficulties.
8. Mix at low levels. The midrange will be accented and there won't be enough highs or lows, but deal with it and make it work. Then turn up the volume. If all three elements have a decent balance, you're in the right ballpark.
9. Start your mix in mono. Get the EQ right. If all the tracks sound distinct and work well together in mono, they'll sound fabulous when you start scattering them around the soundstage.
10. Take chances. The worst thing you can do is bore the listener.

...or the reader, so I'll leave it at these 10 tips for now 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jsg
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/07/31 15:35:26 (permalink)
Anderton
Some random tips...

1. Don't fall in love with a part just because it's cool. If it doesn't serve the song, nuke it.
2. The mute button is your friend. The fewer elements you have competing for the listener's attention, the more importance each element has.
4. Think of the frequency spectrum as a finite resource. The elements sharing it have to respect each others' space.
5. The best production, arranging, and engineering skills in the world can't save a song people don't want to hear.
6. The worst production, arranging, and engineering skills in the world can't kill a song people do want to hear.
7. Low frequencies are the hardest to get right. That's where room acoustics, transducers, and the human ear have the greatest difficulties.
8. Mix at low levels. The midrange will be accented and there won't be enough highs or lows, but deal with it and make it work. Then turn up the volume. If all three elements have a decent balance, you're in the right ballpark.
9. Start your mix in mono. Get the EQ right. If all the tracks sound distinct and work well together in mono, they'll sound fabulous when you start scattering them around the soundstage.

Regarding #8, I would add: 

Bob Katz, the renowned mastering engineer says that mixing should take place at around 83dB SPL.  I usually have the loudest sections in my work measuring about 83dB SPL when mixing.   If you're mixing at too hot of a level you'll hear the bass and high end louder than they would be relative to the mid-range and if you mix at too low a level, you'll overcompensate the lower and upper frequencies due to the nature of how we hear sound. 
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/07/31 16:26:51 (permalink)
jsg

Bob Katz, the renowned mastering engineer says that mixing should take place at around 83dB SPL.  I usually have the loudest sections in my work measuring about 83dB SPL when mixing.   If you're mixing at too hot of a level you'll hear the bass and high end louder than they would be relative to the mid-range and if you mix at too low a level, you'll overcompensate the lower and upper frequencies due to the nature of how we hear sound. 

Yes, that is why I suggest testing at different levels so you can get the best "average."

I believe the rationale for mixing at a consistent level is so your ears can become acclimated to a standard. That way you won't come in the next day, have the level turned up, and think you mixed the lows and highs too loud.

Unfortunately the reality is that playback systems have never been more variable. It's still possible to do mixes that translate well over multiple systems, but that doesn't mean they will sound exactly as intended.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/28 14:14:23 (permalink)
Compression after effects?

I was watching an instructional youtube video and was told that i needed to compress after reverb and equalization.

I have "always" compressed before reverb and the compressor is first by default in the prochannel.

I am now tempted to use two compressors, one before effects and one last in my track rack.

The instructor in the youtube video said that effects can cause peaks in the sound and undo initial compression leveling.

I have always thought that this was minimal and this is why i have not used compressors after effects.

Also the idea of flattening out an echo somehow does not seem appealing where it seems the reverb trail might become less transparent.

Any suggestions, comments or criticisms are very welcome...
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/28 16:49:33 (permalink)
I would not compress after reverb in general: I think compressed reverb sounds odd.

That said, if you are compressing a whole mix, you can't avoid it, but I would definitely compress before reverb on instrument and vocal tracks.

Of course, I am prepared to be corrected by Craig and others who may know better.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/28 17:09:15 (permalink)
jsg
Anderton
Some random tips...

That all depends on room size.

Working on nearfileds in an an average size bedroom studios @ 83dB SPL is VERY loud, for this reason I use 78dB which is a lot more forgiving on my ears, the wife & neighbours

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/28 17:34:56 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
That all depends on room size.

Working on nearfileds in an an average size bedroom studios @ 83dB SPL is VERY loud, for this reason I use 78dB which is a lot more forgiving on my ears, the wife & neighbours

In Katz's document (part 2) he says he mixes pop songs at 6 db below the standard, which puts it at 77db :

"In 1996, we measured that monitor gain, and found it to be 6 dB less than the film-standard for most of the pop music we were mastering. To calibrate a monitor to the film-standard, play a standardized pink noise calibration signal whose amplitude is -20 dB FS RMS, on one channel (loudspeaker) at a time. Adjust the monitor gain to yield 83 dB SPL using a meter with C-weighted, slow response. Call this gain 0 dB, the reference, and you will find the pop-music "standard" monitor gain at 6 dB below this reference.
By now, we've mastered hundreds of pop CDs working at monitor gain 6 dB below the reference, with very satisfied clients."

I think everyone is in agreement.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/29 08:33:22 (permalink)
A lot of what you are asking about is what I call production.   After you have the song written.... I wouldn't call it "dreaming up a song" because mostly it's hard work, however, then, you need to "listen to what the song is telling you.

I like to say that a song writes itself and will tell you what instruments it wants for the best expression of itself.... maybe that's a little too much of a  Zen thing... but that's my general take on writing.  I use the instruments that bring out the best (IMHO) in the song..... whether it's crunchy guitars and a smacking snare or mandolins and steel guitars.....

Bitflipper mentioned the mute..... yes...absolutely.... less is more.  Nothing screams "beginner" like having all the instruments playing all the time. That usually results in a jumble of sound where nothing is really distinct, and where you, the listener, have the impossible task of trying to hear a particular instrument's sonic quality from among the many things happening in the mix. The only thing that almost always plays in my music is the bass and drums..... everything else rides in and out on volume envelopes. And when something is not in the spotlight, it's normally totally out. Not always, but most of the time this is true....hard enveloping. Parts switch back and forth like a band of musicians would very likely do it live on stage.

Craig Anderton's list is a good one.

Most importantly..... the best way to learn these things is by doing them.  Some sites have the tracks available for download, and of course, you should be recording your own as well..... simply mix the tracks as you think they should sound and post the results in the songs forum. Ask for critical feedback on recording quality, production, etc..... folks here have good ears and will give you their opinion on the mix pointing out the good and the bad. It's a great resource to use to learn what you need to know to get better mixing chops.

Obviously, there's way more to it than this..... but since it's a huge topic covering much ground.... it's best to simply say, start mixing and post the results and begin the journey. It's a long one, but you will see progress with time and effort. Consider it a life-long journey to better sound.

Edit: Listen to the music of the folks here. Most have links in their signature.... also... read my signature. I use envelopes in a huge way for production of the music I write.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/29 13:10:13 (permalink)
The other thing I would mention is that you mix based on the audience and what you want the listener to experience. Let me give you some examples of what I am talking about.

I listen to and play mostly bluegrass music. Here the individual performance is up front. When the singer is singing, they are in the forefront. When the mandolin is doing a solo, it gets pushed to the front. A lot of this comes from the old days when they had but a single mic on stage. The band would gather in a semi-circle around the mic. Then as a part would become the focus they move up to the mic. When they were background they would move away from the mic. Doyle Lawson and Quick Silver still do this a lot in their performances (here is a youtube clip - here they use 2 mics but I think it'll give you an idea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsd4vm3kC0). Further, bluegrass tends to be more 'honest' in that what you hear on a CD is nearly the same thing you will hear from the group on stage or sitting around a porch playing. Not a lot of effects, and those that are used are subtle.

I also do the recording for our church services on Sunday. We have a praise band that includes acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, electronic drums and keyboard, lead vocalist and three backup singers. When I first started doing the recordings I tried to do it like the music I had been listening to, and needless to say it wasn't working. Nobody was happy with the sound, especially me. I started talking to the leader of the praise band, and we sat together for a number of days talking about what we could and could not do while recording the service. He also lent me some CDs of the groups that had recorded the original songs they were doing. Folks like Chris Tomlin and Casting Crowns. Here is a YouTube video of the Cast Crowns song "Courageous" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM).

If you compare these two styles of music, you can easily see how different they are, in presentation, in instrumentation and in the mixing. After listening to a bunch of these CDs, we were able to significantly improve our mixing of the praise group. We still talk about how things can get better, from both sides of the mic.

Lastly, how you record/mix has a big influence on your final product. When I record at home, I can take my time, do multiple takes and select the best ones. I can also try different effects, different mics, move panning around, and do all different sorts of tricks. Not so when doing a 'live' mix. Every Sunday we record to a CD. One take. Two effects (chorus and reverb) and no second chances. Plus we also want the CD (which is also the signal used for our live streaming) to bring across the feel of the live environment. So we include adding in the congregational singing, the hand clapping, etc. Totally different mix from the 'sterile' studio environment.

As was said earlier, lots of different things to think about when trying to 'focus' your music. Hope this has offered some ideas to think about.

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/29 22:54:05 (permalink)
Thank you all for the insightful replies!

This is such a great forum because participation and knowledge are never in a short supply.

I especially like the tip about using the mute button and not having everything play all the time. (one of my common problems I admit)

It is one thing knowing the particular instruments that the song asks for and another thing knowing where to
(and where not to) put each element.

There is also the problem of when a song gets too sparse and at that point adjusting various volumes are not going to fill the void. :)

I have a particular question.

I know this question is going to reveal how little i know about certain things but this is how i learn.

I am confused, I am watching a video seminar on mixing and the instructor said i need to have all of my files in 32 bit floating pointer or I will not be able to achieve depth in the mix.

I have recorded my files (in this particular song) in 24 bit 48 khz.

Now i am perplexed about another parameter in cakewalk. When I go into edit => Preferences => driver settings I have the box checked 64bit double precision engine...  

Do i need to convert all of my project files to 32 bit or what?

The instructor said my Intel chip would actually function better with my files at 32bit floating pointer rather than 24 bit.

If I were to convert my files to 32bit how can I tell if my files are "floating pointer"?
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/30 11:06:39 (permalink)
24/48 is fine.  24 bits is as high as the hardware can capture and process out.  32 bit floating is a bit depth storage. So record at 24 bits and you can save the file as a 32 bit format.  24 bit storage is fine, too, as in the words of Bob Dylan, "You will not die, its not poison."  It is just storing the sound at a bit higher resolution than the working resolution.

The 64-bit engine is confusing, esp. as Cakewalk implemented it about the time that 64 bit processors were introduced, but the engine doesn't have anything to do w/ that.  It processes your sound at 64 bit,  a higher resolution.  So when your computer is doing the calculations the truncations (or rounding off errors) are at an even lower level.  Think of Pi (the number).  It goes to infinity the last I heard.  Same w/ sound calculations w/in SONAR, but if you want the computer to get finished doing them you need to stop it somewhere.  The 64-bit engine does that at a higher number so the sound more accurately reflects non-discrete analog.  A lot of older effects "sounded" better since they "upsampled" (to 32 or 64 bit processing) the sound internally.  SONAR can do this for every calculation.  I've never heard any major difference but w/ modern computers so fast it makes no practical difference so why not?  Same as storing your bounced files as 32 bit.  Hard drive space is cheap compared to 5 to 10 years ago.

Record at 24 bit (the highest hardware allows), store processed files as 32 bit and process your song w/ the 64 bit engine.  Easy enough to remember.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2014/12/30 12:48:59 (permalink)
Thank you tremendously for answering my question here AT. You explained is so I could understand it also.

So you are saying that rendering a 24 bit file as a 32 bit file will give a more accurate representation of the 24 bit file? 

If so that is an interesting concept that had not occurred to me. :)
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/01/03 16:32:41 (permalink)
Is a song better naked than too embellished?
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/01/03 23:39:49 (permalink)
When it comes to music i cannot seem to reconcile the thing that music is busy and has many things are going on in it and it is not best to be viewed in a single state. 
post edited by RexRed - 2015/01/09 00:35:47
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/01/05 08:47:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RexRed 2015/04/20 01:01:59
RexRed
Is a song better naked than too embellished?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve with the recording.    Demo's for record companies and artists need to be less embellished most of the time.... they want to be able to "hear the song" .

A simple piano or guitar with a good vocalist demo may be all that's needed when you have a well written song.

On the flip side.... a mediocre song, with a full production behind it and harmony vocals ...... there's a saying in the songwriter's world..... You can put lipstick on a pig, and it's still a pig.

The secret is to know when you have a well written song and even then, to only use only the minimum instrumentation and production to bring out the best in the song.

Publishers and artists don't care about your playing skills on guitar or piano.... the artist needs to hear the song to decide if they would like to record it.  When I do demo's that I know might be headed to Nashville publishers and artists, I tend to leave out the longer solo's that I would love to play. That bit of info came straight from other Nashville writers. Keep it simple and to the point to show the song in it's best light. No long intro's and no fancy playing on solos. Be into the hooky chorus in less than 60 seconds and be done before 3:30 (give or take) If publishing is not your goal....ignore that and do what you want.

Example:  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12024980  This song started out well over 4 minutes in length. It was re-written and edited down to 3:40 total. The instrumentation was pared back to a basic country band sound. Singer is easy to hear. No solos... only turn-arounds between sections.  Intro is about 8 sec... short is best.  Outtro is short. The song was signed by a publisher.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/01/05 17:48:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RexRed 2015/04/20 01:01:53
An interesting article on just that topic showed up today at the Atlantic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/01/in-music-uniformity-sells/384181/

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/01/11 15:21:33 (permalink)
Thanks Guitarhacker and MandolinPicker for you very informative responses. I found out I was compressing too much of the transient on my various tracks, it was making my music flat and less transparent. I let the transients through the compression's attack on my tracks and suddenly there was more room in the mix :)

Interesting about complexity in music. It makes one think about originality a lot. I think discouragement is the worst detriment to creativity. There are lots of undiscovered variations and themes in music, at least that is the idea. Every voice is unique and the idea is to find your own sound and style that identifies you and separates you from the crowd in a good way. Quality not quantity...    
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/02/09 22:26:45 (permalink)
If I have a song that is 44 khz 16 bit I do not need any dithering at all to make a wave file or mp3 of the same format do I? I am sorry for such a simple question.

Thanks in advanced. :)
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/02/10 00:35:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RexRed 2015/04/20 01:01:46
not for a CD file.  Dithering is used in reducing bit rate.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
RexRed
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/04/06 10:54:42 (permalink)
Layering vocals and the stereo imaging techniques.

I have heard a lot about the professional studios using many layers of vocals in overdubs.

Sometimes even up to fifty vocal tracks all singing the same melody in the same pitch. Do they really use that many vocal overdubs in a song? What is a typical vocal setup for one of today's popular songs?

How do I EQ something like that?

When the song starts out if the vocals are too wide it sounds unnatural. But as the song progresses the vocals can widen more especially in chorus and/or bridge parts.

Up in the 6k range I want that part clear for vocals.

I would think a bus with all the dubs separate from the main vocal bus.

Perhaps a side chain so the main vocal cuts out any overlapping from the vocal dubs.

Multiple vocal overdubs to be panned hard right and hard left.

Then there are harmony tracks to consider.

And also ad libs often traveling from left to right or right to left.

How do you get the spacial positioning right so all of the vocals fit in together?

How much of the bottom end do I cut off the vocal overdubs and ad libs...

Should I cut or boost some of the high end also on certain types of vocals?

Then there are lead vocals and harmonies while there are oohs and ahhs in the background.

With the full accompaniment of so many vocals a song can become well, vocally complex.

The idea is to make each vocal type stand out as much as possible without making the mix too muddy and confusing.

I am sure it is to do whatever sounds best but there must be some golden rules when mixing so many vocals in one song.. 

There must be a check list i.e. the main vocals and overdubs go here in the mix, harmonies go here, oohs and ahhhs go here and ad libs go here and they are eq'd as such. 

How do you set something in the front of the mix and something into the back.
How do you know what goes in front and what in back? When do I use small room and large room effects? 

What are your basic techniques for mixing lots of various vocal parts together in one song?

Or say, how would you mix a song with lots of overdubs how would you treat the overdub tracks versus the main vocal. If the song also had harmonies how would you also add them? If it had ad libs between vocal lines how would you mix them in? 

And also oohs aahhs and mmmmms (harmonies)....

:)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this process.

davdud101
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/04/06 11:13:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RexRed 2015/04/06 22:32:12
I have absolutely no 'reigning it in' when I'm producing stuff. I think I don't actually LISTEN to enough /new music/ to get ideas that are actually logical, and so I just put a lot of stuff together and see what works. 

I think I actually liked my older, "ignorant" process where I could think up a cute little melody and some cool lyrics in a day, and then throw a synth drum kit and some chords behind a cheesy-sounding piano synth and call it a day. These days, I always have to top myself or do something new.

--
For specifics... I naturally hear most vocals with harmonies, so I do those a lot. I've spent a lot of time listening to jazz and big band so I'm inclined to produce brass-based stuff (being a trombone/trumpet player) and I LOVE chords so I have to do chord progression stuff... none of that modal stuff. 

I'd say when it comes to mixing, the ONLY thing I do just about every time is put the vocal tracks thru one buss, boost the highs and cut the lows till it sounds good.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
tlawhon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/04/07 02:05:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RexRed 2015/04/20 01:01:21
After many years of working with Sonar to record and mix my own and others music, one of the most useful techniques I've found for working on the focus of a mix is simply to listen.  This may seem obvious, but when working on music in a DAW there's so much going on visually that it's very easy to get overly (IMHO) focused on that, and to give too little attention to what our ears are telling us. Getting back to listening can be as simple as closing my eyes while playing a track, while resisting the urge to open them to tweak yet another eq or fader.  Just listen.  Sometimes when working at night I will turn the lights and the video monitor off, and listen to the track.  That way I can keep my eyes open, but what I'm seeing is my imagining of the soundstage complete with players and instruments. Try it sometime...

Dell Studio XPS 8000, Intel Core i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz-2X2GB/2x1GB
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Mackie Onynx 1640i
Sonar X3e

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Focusing Music in Sonar 2015/04/16 10:48:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RexRed 2015/04/20 01:01:25
A lot of the mixing is in the arrangement. By putting all the instruments in their own, non competing space, there is less to mix. You could say the mix does itself.

You can't fix poor recording techniques in the mix, but you can fix a poor arrangement in the mix. This is where less is more. Give everything the space to shine.

Understand that some sounds occupy the limelight while other provide a supporting role. Sometimes the limelight changes like a follow spot is bright but it may be equally bright on different performers at different times.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1