Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Set up

Author
gatagirl
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
2007/11/28 19:42:31 (permalink)

Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Set up

Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some advice on the best way to record vocals using the Voicemaster with my set up. I have never used a preamp before so this is my first venture.... (I purchased the unit on Ebay just the other day and just got it).

If I understand correctly, I could plug my mic cable into the front XLR input on the Focusrire. Then from the back I can plug another mic cable going from the 'output pre de-esser' into channel 1 of my Mackie 1202-VLZ3 Mixer. Then the mixer outs go to my left and right inputs of my Audiophile 192 soundcard. I can also monitor my vocals and the music with headphones plugged into the Mackie. (I also have outputs from the 192 sound card going into inputs on the mackie so that I can hear the entire mix.... but they are being routed differently so they don't loop back to the soundcard).

With the Mackie in the middle of the chain, aren't I sort of going from the focusrite preamp, to the Mackie preamp and then kind of coloring the vocal with 2 preamps?

Is it possible to plug the out of the focusrite directly into the soundcard ins?

I am not sure what cable would work to do this....
I could keep the outs from the soundcard going into the Mackie and use the mixer just to hear everything throught the headphone jack.

Or.... Can I get rid of the Mackie altogether by going directly from the focusrite to the soundcard and use the headphone jack on the focusrite to hear everything?

I appreciate any input..... Thanks in advance.

Sonar PE 7
Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz, 1.5GB RAM, Windows XP SP2
Audiophile 192 soundcard
Focusrite Voicemaster Platinum, Rode NT1a mic
Dimension Pro, Waves NPP, Waves RenMaxx

3 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Set up 2007/11/29 08:26:58 (permalink)
    Is it possible to plug the out of the focusrite directly into the soundcard ins?

Yes, i do it like that. Does your have digital and does your sound card have the same digital connections?? This would be in my opinion the best way to get only the sound of the pre ams of the focusrite into sonar without going thru another card or mixer.
    Unless you recording many instruments at one time, i dont think a mixer is nessasary, but some will disagree ofcourse.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    tfbattag
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Set up 2007/11/29 22:33:13 (permalink)
    I use the Focusrite Voice Master Pro with a mixer as well. This is especially useful when recording live or full-band situations. I am not personally familiar with your Mackie or your interface, but my mixer allows me to route through the VM Pro to a mixer channel, then direct out bypassing the EQ section of the channel into my interface. One problem with this solution is the multiple gain stages. Someone here could probably recommend the best method for reducing the impact of the Mackie's mic pre on your signal. Or, you could just bypass the Mackie as you suggested.

Thomas Battaglia
    :wq!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
    gatagirl
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Focusrite Voicemaster Pro Set up 2007/11/30 11:14:56 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for your response.....

Yes, I think the focusrite has a digital output option, but unfortunately I don't have the A/D card that would need to be added to use it....

I guess right now I would be going from the analog outs on the back of the focusrite into the soundcard ins. Unless I am not understanding something, it seems that I will have to use some adapters.... or is there a cable that would make this connection work? (I think I'd be going from one of the balanced XLR outs on the back of the focusrite into the left and right (unbalanced RCA?) inputs of the sound card.

Here is a link to a photo of the back of the focusrite:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/VoiceMastPro--img_rear.jpg

And here is a link to photo of the inputs on the M-Audio 192 soundcard:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/Audiophile192--img_cardcable.jpg

Thanks.....
    post edited by gatagirl - 2007/11/30 11:15:42

Sonar PE 7
    Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz, 1.5GB RAM, Windows XP SP2
    Audiophile 192 soundcard
    Focusrite Voicemaster Platinum, Rode NT1a mic
    Dimension Pro, Waves NPP, Waves RenMaxx
    Jump to: