Folder Mix / Recall

Author
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
2016/03/02 20:34:51 (permalink)

Folder Mix / Recall

So, I didn't gain much ground with an older suggestion regarding PSG's, so I have a simpler idea that could save a lot of time for those who could use something like this:

Folder Mix / Recall.

Scenario: I have 15 songs, all in different projects. All of them will use the exact same drum mix. The drums are 15 tracks each with close-mics and such. If I mix down the drums to taste with Sends, plug-ins, fader, mute, pan, Gain knobs, PC, etc. I would love to put all of those tracks into one folder and save a "snapshot" of that folder's mix. I'd like to quickly apply that same drum mix to all other 14 songs/projects.

Two ways I could like to do this:
1) Use a tool that would update them all in one action.
2) Allow me to open each of the other projects and simply recall that previously mentioned folder's snapshot. Where Sends or Aux Patch Points apply to other tracks or buses in the next project, and they don't already exist, this process would create them and apply the Send/Patch-Point(s).

Caveat: The tracks' settings in question to be copied to other projects would have to be added to a folder to be copied. Assuming you did this based on a template when tracking the full band, then this should work fine. If not, then the process fails. However, that being so, just as you can save a Track template, why not also save that track's mix settings and recall them on the same Track # in another project? That would also save some time. 

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.

6 Replies Related Threads

John T
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6783
    Re: Folder Mix / Recall 2016/03/02 21:38:24 (permalink)
    What's a "PSG"?

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
    Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    brconflict
    Re: Folder Mix / Recall 2016/03/03 10:45:45 (permalink)
    John T
    What's a "PSG"?

Project Sync Group. It was an idea that allows any one project's changes to be synchronized (at the click of a button) to multiple other projects that would need the same mix changes. When starting a new mix (after tracking), let's say you want the same exact drum mix, bass, and guitar mix to be synchronized to 10 other projects/songs. If you set up a Project Sync Group, add these projects to that group, then select all the elements you want to sync, then, if you make a change to say, the kick or snare, you could just click that PSG button, and the change is applied to all your other projects in the PSG, automatically---without even opening those projects! You could remove elements from the PSG as they begin to differ from one project to another, or even remove a project from the PSG.

I sent a video of this to Noel, who checked it out. He assured me that there were some exciting things coming to Mix Recall, but I've not seen or heard any news or hints of anything close to PSG's. So I suggested at least allowing me to export/import a Folder mix from one project to another. Baby steps, I suppose. However, I'm still behind the concept of a PSG, and I believe this idea would blow some minds in workflow enhancements. Unfortunately, Sonar is all but tucked away at 'NAMM shows, and doesn't appear to get the attention it once did or deserves.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    John T
    Re: Folder Mix / Recall 2016/03/03 12:39:53 (permalink)
    What you describe in your opening post: I think most of that can already be done.

If you select all your tracks *and* all your buses, then right click on a track and save as a track template, you should be able to get everything back. I often do this where the drum setup is fairly common across a number of songs.

Have you tried that? And if so, have you found anything it doesn't recall?

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
    brconflict
    Re: Folder Mix / Recall 2016/03/03 14:28:43 (permalink)
    John T
    What you describe in your opening post: I think most of that can already be done.

If you select all your tracks *and* all your buses, then right click on a track and save as a track template, you should be able to get everything back. I often do this where the drum setup is fairly common across a number of songs.

Have you tried that? And if so, have you found anything it doesn't recall?

I'll give that a shot. Keep in mind, all projects already have tracks created with audio in them. In my initial Track Template tests, the process only created new, blank tracks. 

Brian

John T
    Re: Folder Mix / Recall 2016/03/03 16:06:14 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's the key limitation. You can't apply the template to existing tracks.

What I do is create the new tracks with the template, and then drag the clips in. Would be more elegant if there was a way of applying a template to existing tracks.

But as far as I'm aware, it otherwise works perfectly. I've not noticed anything it doesn't carry over, as long as you had all your buses and tracks selected when you saved the template.

brconflict
    Re: Folder Mix / Recall 2016/03/03 17:33:42 (permalink)
    Right. The idea is that I can go in and re-mix the drums completely, save the Folder mix, then load that Folder mix in each of my other projects. That way, assuming every track matches in the same Folder in all the other projects will accept all the changes to the mix.

So,
    1) Right-click on the the folder, select Save Folder Mix and save it as a Folder Mix. Name it.
    2) Open another Project with the same Folder.
    3) Right-click on that Folder and select, Apply Folder Mix.
    4) Select the Folder Mix you want and Apply. Voila!
    5) Repeat for each Project. Then, all your Projects now have the same mix in that Folder for say, Drums!

Brian

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1