Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted)

Author
CSW
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 156
2018/06/08 17:03:55 (permalink)

Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted)

Hi Group,

My Girl and I recently put this song together at the house.

It's in an all acoustic form right now and I would really appreciate some
arrangement, production, tempo suggestions and ideas for the song. 
Also first impressions.... good or bad.

https://soundcloud.com/us...7/forever-home/s-iSZoq

Thanks
Craig

7 Replies Related Threads

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/08 17:47:55 (permalink)
    Craig,

First, the song is really solid as are the vocals.   The arrangement is very 80's Power Ballad as far as the guitar style.    Personally, I would go for a Contemporary Country Ballad with this song.   Simple strumming acoustic guitar, bass, drums, maybe a fiddle or strings.    If you are leaning more pop, use an acoustic piano arrangement with strings and some light percussion/drums.    Either of these choices would get you in a more contemporary lane.

The vocals you have here would work for either style, in fact I think your existing vocals could be integrated into a new backing track if you don't change the tempo, and, I think the tempo is good as is.   Lot of potential with the song.

Regards
    CSW
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/09 00:53:47 (permalink)
    markno999
    Craig,

First, the song is really solid as are the vocals.   The arrangement is very 80's Power Ballad as far as the guitar style.    Personally, I would go for a Contemporary Country Ballad with this song.   Simple strumming acoustic guitar, bass, drums, maybe a fiddle or strings.    If you are leaning more pop, use an acoustic piano arrangement with strings and some light percussion/drums.    Either of these choices would get you in a more contemporary lane.

The vocals you have here would work for either style, in fact I think your existing vocals could be integrated into a new backing track if you don't change the tempo, and, I think the tempo is good as is.   Lot of potential with the song.

Regards

Mark,

Your soundclick page is sounding really great! Are you playing all the instruments and singing?

Thanks for the advice.  I'm gonna try some chord experimentation and see if I can take it another direction.

Craig

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/09 23:02:40 (permalink)
    This sounds very much like stuff on the christian market (sans theology).  Of course, your voice just makes everything shine.  Good job.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/10 23:07:44 (permalink)
    Craig, this is very professional songwriting for these times.  A song like this can go in several directions, which is great, because is shows how versatile this song is.  However, it could easily be overproduced and lose it's raw soul in the process.  You've got it now, and I'd be asking myself, how much further does it need to go?  Great performances all around!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/11 14:50:52 (permalink)
    Craig,

No problem.    Appreciate the look at my Soundclick page.    I am sometimes collaborating, playing, programming, but never singing.   My voice would ruin any production:)

Regards

CSW
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/12 16:44:27 (permalink)
    Lynn
    Craig, this is very professional songwriting for these times.  A song like this can go in several directions, which is great, because is shows how versatile this song is.  However, it could easily be overproduced and lose it's raw soul in the process.  You've got it now, and I'd be asking myself, how much further does it need to go?  Great performances all around!

Lynn,   Wow! Thanks for the compliments about the song.  I've tried several different approaches on my own that I've shelved but Robin and I are collaborating with markno999 on a variation that I hope everyone will like.  We'll post it here pretty soon. I'm liking the direction we're taking. 

Craig
    CSW
    Re: Forever Home (Advice and critique wanted) 2018/06/13 03:27:22 (permalink)
    eph221
    This sounds very much like stuff on the christian market (sans theology).  Of course, your voice just makes everything shine.  Good job.

Thank you much.  I think Christian music basically had it's heyday back when Mercy Me , Casting Crowns where at the top of their game.  Amazing Bands with amazing song writing and musicianship.   Song as powerful as " I can only Imagine" of  "Who am I"....... these are absolute masterpieces.

Craig

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1