Helpful ReplyForever struggling to get the bass sounding good

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/14 16:37:34 (permalink)
gswitz
Thanks Danny. I feel I'm on a safari and that I may come upon something new and important to my overall understanding.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...aspx?m=3220746&p=2

I put up a new video here.

I have gotten the same feedback from enough people that it is making me challenge my assumptions.

Geoff, where the heck does that link take me? LOL! It says Cakewalk forum, but it looks way different than this...like I warped somewhere else? LOL!

Whatever the case, I like what you're doing there better. However, to my ears...the bark of the dog stuff makes things a little too boomy. What I hear lashing out at me is certain notes played on the bass being more boomy than others. This is where a good multi-band limiter can work wonders. I like the one from UAD because you can just about NEVER over-use to to where you hear artifacts. You'd have to really rock it hard for that. The sonar 64 multiband is quite good too if you mess with it. This way you can (if you hear them as I do) get a little more control over those lower notes booming out.

This is an every day thing for me with guys that are using 5 and six string basses that may not have them set up quite right in the action department or in their execution playing the bass. Some guys pull really hard on the lower strings or the action is closer to the pups....this will bring on harder notes and just about always, you really hear the low ones.

Instead of going crazy with an eq or compression, a little multi-band in the right spots (if need be) or by finding out the offending note frequencies and dialing them in...can work wonders. I try my best to stay away from MBL's but when something like this pops up, it's an easy fix for me...especially with that UAD Precision MBL due to it being so transparent. You're definitely in the right direction now though. Good job Geoff...way to hang in there and nail it. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Forever struggling to get the bass sounding good 2015/05/14 16:53:09 (permalink)
Sorry... that was a mobile link into the forum (posted from my phone)....
Try this...
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Comparison-of-bass-on-different-bounces-of-the-same-song-m3220746.aspx#3221323

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1