Found a Hammond Organ in the trash...

Need some help identifying it:

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

26 Replies Related Threads

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/09 18:45:31 (permalink)
    Looks to me like a B3 sans pedals...

ew
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/09 19:32:08 (permalink)
    I agree, at first glance it does look like a B-3, but something's not quite right for a B. It looks a little lighter-weight, like it's one of the home versions. And it's missing the folding keyboard cover that's on every B I've ever seen.

I'm going to take a guess and say it's one of the A series. Which still makes it a great find, because I believe the A series has exactly the same tonewheel assembly as the B-3 and C-3.

There is a wealth of Hammond information and lore here, here and here.

Look on the back or inside the organ cabinet or under the keyboard. There should be a plate with the serial and model number.

EDIT:
    Found it! Go to the first link above and scroll down. There's a picture of it with its inventor, Mr. Hammond himself at the keyboard.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2008/10/09 19:53:10

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/09 19:49:03 (permalink)
    Thanks, that helps a bunch. It does look like this orignally had foot pedals, I was thinking B3 also but I'm no expert.

The identifying plate is not out in the open, I don't know if it even has it. I haven't been able to find pics with this type of base yet, but I'm thinking this might be a early/mid 70's model.

I have a knack for finding gems in the trash btw...last year I found a Kustom 1-15B...in very good condition. It works perfect.
    post edited by Ron Vogel - 2008/10/09 19:53:54

Ron Vogel
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/09 20:57:32 (permalink)
    mystery solved!

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/09 21:13:18 (permalink)
    gratz on that find! Very cool!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Ron Vogel
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/09 21:17:07 (permalink)
    The good news is that it is a Hammond...the bad is that it's all solid state. Not as collectable as the a100 or b-3. I'm thinking it will be sold. I was going to keep it, but if the parts I need to get it up to snuff are very expensive, I may just sell it to an organ dealer. Even if I only get $500ish for it, well...I literally found it in the trash; not too shabby.

DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/10 08:25:40 (permalink)
    The good news is -- if you want to keep it and it needs fixing its probably easier to fix one of the transister models than a tonewheel organ. Plus if it was a tonewheel you would have herniated yourself dragging it from the curb.

I have to say that I prefer some of the later transister models to the B3 (in sound -- the build quality is another thing altogether) so it may be a great musical find if not a great financial one. I think there is an emotional attatchment to tonewheels that wouldn't stand up to any real A/B testing. I don't know anything about this model though.

If you want a good read (including a very good list of all of the things that can go wrong with hammond) check out "Beauty and the B." While its focus is obviously on the B3 it has a very nice summary of all of the organs made by hammond. I will take a look tonight and see what it says about this model.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/10 09:45:46 (permalink)
    It's an amazing find....

My father in law was a certified trash pile rummager... and in his ramblings, he found some pretty amazing and valuable things as well...

Nice amp too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/10 13:53:51 (permalink)
    All I ever throw away is burned up PSU's, hot dog wrappers and empty water bottles.

But I've learned that if I ever have a non-working Hammond B-3000, I'll sell it. A few hundred bones is a few hundred bones.
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/10 14:57:16 (permalink)
    in the trash...

Hello,

There's a reason it was in the trash. Because it is trash. You won't get $500 for it and you'll have to transport it. Return it to where you found it (if possible) and get your self a copy of NI B4. LOL.

GK
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/10 16:27:34 (permalink)
    I gotta start hanging round the same trash cans you do

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Ron Vogel
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/10 21:12:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

A couple of local towns have "amnesty days" where you can put stuff out at the curb all week...and anything goes. We get out in the van when these are happening and actively look for stuff.

krizrox
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 05:21:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ron Vogel

A couple of local towns have "amnesty days" where you can put stuff out at the curb all week...and anything goes. We get out in the van when these are happening and actively look for stuff.

Yeah they do that here in Elgin, IL all the time too. It's fun to drive around and look at all the junk people put out on their curbs (I'm easily entertained). We have a large Hispanic population here in Elgin and they tend to be the first ones on the scene with their pickmeup trucks. If it's something with any sort of inate value, it's usually gone within minutes of putting it out on the curb. I'm pretty sure if I put a guitar or keyboard out on the curb I'd probably start a gang war

btw - Gibson has a factory here in Elgin where they make pickups (and various other misc products like tshirts). For years I'd hear stories of guys going dumpster diving over there and finding pickups and stuff in the dumpster out back.
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/10/11 07:14:10

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Lanceindastudio
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 07:38:15 (permalink)

Yeah they do that here in Elgin, IL all the time too. It's fun to drive around and look at all the junk people put out on their curbs (I'm easily entertained). We have a large Hispanic population here in Elgin and they tend to be the first ones on the scene with their pickmeup trucks. If it's something with any sort of inate value, it's usually gone within minutes of putting it out on the curb. I'm pretty sure if I put a guitar or keyboard out on the curb I'd probably start a gang war

btw - Gibson has a factory here in Elgin where they make pickups (and various other misc products like tshirts). For years I'd hear stories of guys going dumpster diving over there and finding pickups and stuff in the dumpster out back.

umm dude those were very prejudice remarks. wtf? If you said that in front of me, there might be a little gang war right there

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 07:40:16 (permalink)
    In all seriousness, throwing a musical instrument in the trash to me is pretty disappointing, Can't someone take a few seconds and post a free ad on a site like craigslist with a title like "(insert instrument) free to good home"???

Even if it would cost more to repair, perhaps someone could use that organ for parts? Maybe, just maybe someone would want to fix it? Maybe sometime in the future a (working) organ like that might be worth a little something because everyone who had a problem with one put it out on the curb?...or how about this, wouldn't it be neat to gut the organ and modify it into a DAW desk? The wood alone has to be at least worth something no?

At any rate, I guess I could understand the organ's potential for being discarded, but a WORKING guitar amplifier??? This really has me shaking my head in disbelief. Nice find there Ron Vogel!!!

Gee, I could stand out on the curb all day and all night, and doubt anyone would want to "pick me up"...except for the police!
    post edited by Cheeto - 2008/10/11 07:41:34
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 08:07:14 (permalink)
    If it's repairable, you have an excellent find there. I bought a whole bunch of keyboards from a local lady at a garage sale about 10 years ago which included - A rhodes - a Hammond x-5 with a leslie 760- an Oberheim 2 voice - a roland tape echo - and Moog taurus 1 pedals , all for 800 bucks. The Hammond had been sitting nicely in it's case for about 10 years in her basement. When I powered it up and played the keys...nothing ! . But I soon realized that it was simply oxidation on the key contacts. Just plunking on it and a general wiggling of contacts in it brought it fully to life. The early electronic organs from Hammond sound excellent ! The difference between a real Hammond and Leslie and a Plug-in is like the difference between a real Piano and a Plug-in. No real comparison when it comes to the subtle details. Hope you can get it working.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    krizrox
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 08:59:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

umm dude those were very prejudice remarks. wtf? If you said that in front of me, there might be a little gang war right there

Not sure I catch your meaning but if I said something that offended you I apologize.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Lanceindastudio
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 12:30:51 (permalink)
    It was late. I was up all night after a gig hanging out with a friend and got home and read your comment about the heavy latin population and how it might cause a gang war if you left a keyboard or something out, and it hit as an extremely prejudice thing to say. It still does. Im actually totally a whiteboy myself, but I live in L.A. and we have probably a heavier latin community. It came across that you were implying that all of the latin people that go and find the jewels on the curb are potential gangsters. It didnt sound good to me. It still doesnt. Hopefully you understand what Im saying, but if not, well at least I tried. Thats all I have to say really.

I know you meant the whole thing as a joke... but yeah... as I said

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    krizrox
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 13:43:58 (permalink)
    Oh now I understand. You're right. I wasn't thinking. When I said gang war I meant gang of garbage scavengers - not like ghetto gangs or anything like that. Oh boy. Now I have some 'splaining to do. Just in case there's any question about it I'm a gringo too but I'm married to a Mexican woman (straight from Chihuahua, Mexico) and most of my neighbors and close friends happen to be Hispanic. Elgin is home to a very large Hispanic community (for some odd reason we have close ties to a specific town in Puerto Rico but I couldn't explain the reason behind that at the moment). I'll bet this town is pretty evenly divided between whites and Hispanics. My daughter's grade school is pretty much 50-50 in terms of english speaking and non-english speaking children (again, most are Hispanic but who's counting).

The guys that come around and retreive the valuables we set out on the curb are predominantly Hispanics (I can tell from the words printed on the sides of the trucks and the fact that they all speak Spanish which is a dead giveaway). The dumpster-diving white rednecks are the minority here but there are plenty of them too. They cruise around here almost daily looking for scavenger items to recycle or sell to local recycling plants. It wasn't disrespect at all but I can see now how it might be considered disrespectful. I meant it as a joke - these guys cruise around all day trying to get the good stuff before anyone else.

I mentioned this to my wife and she laughed out loud. We tend to joke with each other about our race. I'm related to half of Northern Mexico through marriage. My wife comes froma big family down there. I think that entitles me to make fun of them but always in a respectful and loving way. I can see how someone who didn't know me might take it personally and get angry. I migth remove the original post but if I do that then all this won't make sense Just call me a dumb gringo and we'll be even!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Lanceindastudio
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 13:54:31 (permalink)
    Hey I didnt mean to come at you so harsh, but yeah, it sounded crazy man. My best friend is Mexican, and his little sister is my God Daughter(Im not Catholic, but they wanted me to be the God Papa lol)... From 4 years of spanish in school, I actually speak more spanish then him though, ha. Anyway, I was tired, which doesnt go well with me, so I was definitely agressive, but yeah, the words hit me really badly, and I really dont like prejudice, as it seems you dont either.

Thanx for breaking it down man, I really appreciate it. Makes me feel a lot better, and so that you know, among my friends, my african american roommate and mexican best friend roommate, we joke about our races all the time. Just the way it looked on that post really hit me wrong.

Larry, Im glad you explained it man, because I really have always enjoyed you on the forum and I was actually saddened when I saw the post. Sorry I came at you so harsh. If I was over there where you are, Id buy us a round of Dos Equis!

Ok, back to music talk! lol

Cheers, Lance

P.S. - to the OP, sorry this was in your thread. I couldnt let my thoughts pass...
    post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2008/10/11 13:55:31

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    krizrox
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 14:02:36 (permalink)
    I love Dos XX and also Bohemia. And personally I don't see anything wrong with hijacking a thread about finding an organ in the garbage. I mean how much worse can it get? There's lots of directions we could take this one

Salut!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Lanceindastudio
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/11 14:03:52 (permalink)
    ha! I literally just laughed out loud!

Oh and yeah that Bohemia is good stuff for sure!

i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Presonus Eureka
    Ron Vogel
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/12 16:47:59 (permalink)

Yeah they do that here in Elgin, IL all the time too

I'm in Bolingbrook...they just did one in Woodridge and Downers grove.

I'll have to check out that Gibson factory. There used to be a music shop in Westmont that sold Gibson factory rejects...I got a Les Paul back in the late 80's for $60 unfinished...it's a great kick around guitar for me and has seen plenty of stage use:

Cheeto
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/13 00:46:53 (permalink)
    Ron,

Do you have any thoughts as to why it didn't pass quality control? How does it play compared one that's a...ya know...inspector 13 passed?

I'm guessing you had to add all the hardware, was it already fretted and have a nut?

At any rate, I think that's another awesome score!

And to think, that nearly axe made it to being someones $3k LP custom or whatnot!
    Ron Vogel
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/13 19:38:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cheeto

Ron,

Do you have any thoughts as to why it didn't pass quality control? How does it play compared one that's a...ya know...inspector 13 passed?

I'm guessing you had to add all the hardware, was it already fretted and have a nut?

At any rate, I think that's another awesome score!

And to think, that nearly axe made it to being someones $3k LP custom or whatnot!

The edge banding was coming off or uneven, that's about it. I fixed all of that, sealed it, then did a watercolor painting on it...and sprayed on many coats of clear laquer. I may refinish it again since I can do better work now, but it still looks pretty nice. I did have to add all my own hardware and such, so I did a special bridge that I used on some other guitars I've built. Sounds phenominal, I use it mainly for slide and certain lead parts. It has some intonation issues that a decent shop could probably fix, but not too bad. It was fretted, I don't remember if it had a nut on it, but I think so.

It wasn't really a find, that shop sold factory rejects for many years. I think they went under about 10 years ago (ProAM music).
    post edited by Ron Vogel - 2008/10/13 19:42:47

Cheeto
    RE: Found a Hammond Organ in the trash... 2008/10/14 02:13:49 (permalink)
    Well for a kick around and stage use guitar I think that's pretty sweet! Not to mention one doesn't have to worry too excessively if you happen to turn your back on it and the possible potential for it sprouting legs and disappearing into thin air at a bar gig.

I dig the paint job too, highly identifiable and very unique. Nice job making something that is truly your own.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1