Free Music Creators?

Author
andrewgrey715
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2009/11/17 10:01:14 (permalink)

Free Music Creators?

I just spent the last 2 weeks writing all of my original music into my Cakewalk Music Creator 3, only to find that it keeps deleting large sections of the material from my songs for no reason.  I carefully save often and double check everything before adding or deleting parts.  However, yesterday, after I spent all day punching in notes in a quite intricate arrangement, checking, saving and continuing, I found that a huge section from the middle of the song simply vanished.

This is not the first time this has happened.  I got sick of it and broke my Cakewalk disc into a million pieces after losing so much time from my life that I will never get back, but anyway...

I tried downloading a few other free music programs, and they all suck.

I find 4000 references on Google for a 'Free Cakewalk Music Creator 3, 4, etc, and none of them work, or they are not even there anymore.

My question would be, is there any other programs to write music with, without having external trigger devices, that does not sound like an Atari video game?  For FREE?  I don't use credit cards, debit cards or any of that, so paying for anything on the computer is not an option for me.

I suppose if I do find a Cakewalk Music Creator 3, 4 5 or whatever for free, it needs to be registered and I won't be able to do that anyway?

I have downloaded Anvil, and that seems too basic for my purposes, which is writing parts for a rock/metal band.  I got used to using Cakewalk now, and Anvil doesn't feel right. 

I like Cakewalk, but I don't want to waste so much time, creative energy etc only to have my parts come up missing.

I did pay for my original Cakewalk Music Creator 3 at a store in 2006, btw.  Just started using it a couple months ago.

Thanks,
Andrew

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/17 10:19:07 (permalink)
    there are no legitimate free music creator downloads.  if you have found any links to free music creator from cakewalk then they are pirated copies anyway and you'll find cakewalk users are typically very anti-pirate on the forums, so if you admit you download a "free" copy then you'll not get a warm welcome in the forums.  so I suggest you abandon that search for free cakewalk products - it won't do you any good anyway.

I did pay for my original Cakewalk Music Creator 3 at a store in 2006, btw.  Just started using it a couple months ago.

good!  and I'm not questioning you above, just warning you what you might run into on the forums if you continue telling people on the forums that you're looking for "free cakewalk software" - cause there are no free LEGAL versions and cakewalk users are quite loyal.

out of the years that I've been on these forums I've never seen anyone having a problem like you're describing without user error of some kind.  MC or other Sonar based prodcuts will not arbitrarily delete sections of a project without the user doing something to make it do that, so there must be something you're doing to cause it to delete sections of your project.

You mentioned "punching in" your notes.  this may be just a misunderstanding of terms, but puncing in means you're using a keyboard or other instrument to punch in a recording during a specific time in the sequencer.  if you're doing that then you might have your settings incorrect and that could cause you to erase certain parts of the project.  however, you also said you wanted to "write music without having to trigger external devices" so I'm not sure if you're using a MIDI keyboard or if you're creating MIDI tracks using your mouse or not - so you'll need to clarify that some more for more help.

My question would be, is there any other programs to write music with, without having external trigger devices, that does not sound like an Atari video game?  For FREE?  I don't use credit cards, debit cards or any of that, so paying for anything on the computer is not an option for me.

the sequencer program itself is not what causes the "sounds" to sound like "an Atari video game" - the sounds are due to the softsynths you use in the sequencer.  for example, in MC3 the main General MIDI softsynth was Edirol VSC.  Edirol isn't bad, but it's not the best sounding.  in MC4 the main GM softsynth included is TTS-1 and it's much better sounding, but it's still not the best sounds you can get.  in MC5, TTS-1 is the GM softsynth, but there's also a softsynth called SoundCenter that's used for "synth" sounds and it's pretty decent for synth sounds.  if you want realistic sounding instruments using MIDI, you have to spend a lot of money for them, like Kontakt Komplete at $600.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/17 10:52:08 (permalink)
    Losing your temper and destroying the disk was a tad silly don't you think? Coming here for advise would have been more productive with a working disk in hand, or ... er computer.

Anyway, as Beagle said it is not likely that MC3 did this as that is not how it works. Give us some more input as to what you have there and maybe we can help. Like what operating system do you have, how were you entering the notes. The reason I ask is that if you are using a new computer with Vista 64 bit you might have a minor configuration issue before MC3 will work. It also helps if we knw what sound card you are using as that helps with setup.

One other point, downloading free "cracked" programs, it the best way i know to get a nasty virus, which if you spent much time on sites like that might be one of your problems. If you have been treading around crack sites you might need a complete overhaul of your computer, with a new fresh windows install.

Then if you are near a Best Buy, pop in and spend the $40 to get the boxed version of MC5 and come back and we can try to help you.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    andrewgrey715
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/17 11:49:09 (permalink)
    Yeah I am a "tad silly".  Frustrating when you lose music that took forever to work on only to have some kind of technical issue destroy everything you did.  I'll never be able to recreate what I originally did.  It's just lost forever.

(I have anger issues, we're not all perfect, but that's a separate issue that I would rather not get into here.)

I guess you get what you pay for.  I see I'm gonna have to save for a year until I can afford to but a real music creator program.  Hell, it be easier to just go into the studio and record.  I'm definitely not made of money due to the current great depression.

Sorry didn't know the stuff on those sites was illegal pirate wear or whatever.  Seems like if it was illegal, someone would bust someone for it, or at the very least shut the site down.  I never tried to download anything, as I never found anything.

I guess I'll just find another way to do my music or get out of the music writing biz entirely.  After losing all the work I did (apparently at my own hand even though I was careful/double-checked everything before saving etc.), and other reasons, it's just not worth it anymore.

Thanks for your attempted help anyway.

I'm outta here.

Andrew

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/17 16:44:12 (permalink)
    If that is all the effort you will put into it, then i sugest taking up anothe hobby. Most musicuans are willing to put years of hard work into their craft. But i guess in this day of immediate gratification that work ethic is dead.

I am sure some of us here are willing to put some efort into helping you, but if you are not willing why should we? Anyway, think it over, and if you want to pursue recording let us know. Afterall some of us here worked very hard and long at times to get the results we now get. Me personally i spent the last 15 years getting to this point. So if two weeks puts you off then there is little anyone can do to help you.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/17 17:01:58 (permalink)
    One hour of studio time will cost you more than going to Best Buy and buying the boxed version of Music Creator 5..... I don't follow your logic... on that.... $40 will take you a year to save up for...I hope that is a huge exaggeration on your part.

You can get a decent studio going for a couple of hundred bucks depending on the soundcard interface you use.  I do not suggest using the lappy sound card, but that will get you started.

For anger management, I suggest a nice heavy punching/kicking bag.... It will take all and more of what you can throw at it.... the poor little DVD's can not.

Unless you have removed MC3, you might still be able to work with it.... although, maybe part of the problem  you described earlier could be attributed to the OS in the lappy not jiving with MC3.....  So if you have Vista... go buy MC5.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Electric Falcon™
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/17 23:59:17 (permalink)

What you are talking about andrewgrey715 is called torrent searching for cracked pirated software.

Downloading that type of software is illegal, and you can get in a lot of legal trouble very quickly for doing that, they will catch you after a while - it may be years later when you've moved and don't even own a computer anymore, and have completely forgotten about doing it, but they will know it's you.  Regardless of using IP scrambling software or anonymous hubs or whatever, your computer still gives out information in ways most people don't understand. Have you ever heard the term EXTERNAL NAT? Don't think that it's fool proof. Keep in mind telling the police "Uh I didn't know what it was wont work, or that wasn't me because I don't own a computer". 

I hope you don't attempt downloading those illegal files because even if you don't get into trouble, and you don't get a virus : "Just remember that every time you access the internet that there is a record on a server somewhere to where if you do something wrong that record could result in problems for you later on. It's not worth looking over your shoulder.

People think they are safe using wireless hot spots too, UH, I got news for them - that is the easiest way to catch somebody getting warez.

Your problem sounds like you failed to create a proper backup, that's not Cakewalks fault, that's your own - if the work meant so much to you then you should have taken the time to make proper backups as you created the work.

Either way I wish you luck, and I hope you listen to my advice, it could save you a lot of problems later on.

Bobby

post edited by Electric Falcon™ - 2009/11/18 06:56:29

The CyberSpace Pub   This is the link to my Website and Music. I got it working again now as of today. Check it out - 1-26-2010
    Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    Re:Free Music Creators? 2009/11/18 08:48:54 (permalink)
    Wow - talk about a lack of dedication to the craft! In summary: I've got loads of music I want to sequence.  I had some software I bought years ago but never used.  I loaded it but can't get it to do what I want / don't know how to get it to do what I want. I don't want to spend any money and don't want to invest any time in the learning process.  So I trashed the disc and went to a music forum to tell everyone my story and how I'm immediately quitting. Nobody cares or wants to help me. Why is life so hard to me?

Weird.  No-one mentioned Reaper.  Not free, but you can download and install to see how useful it is.  But if MC is beyond your ability you may find Reaper a bit of a challenge.  You could always download the Sonar trial for 30 days.

Edit:"I tried downloading a few other free music programs, and they all suck."
    Hmmm...  Are you sure it's all the software that is the problem?

post edited by Wood67 - 2009/11/18 08:52:13

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1