Free hosting / Streaming your own music

Author
hairyjamie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 947
2009/07/23 08:28:51 (permalink)

Free hosting / Streaming your own music

Hi,

After the recent thread started by MetalMan about streaming your own music, I got to thinking how easy this might be. Here are some thoughts, hopefully this might help others who are giving this a go and can't be bothered with SoundClick any more!

Web Space

Well, you're going to need somewhere to put your mp3s and website, so firstly I looked into my ISP's provision of space. It was lacking severely and insisted I used their own Site builder tool which turned out to be restrictive enough to make it unuseable.

I then hunted the web to see who else could provide what I wanted - free space, ftp access and no limitations on the size of files that can be uploaded (it turns out that many providers restrict you to files <= 3 or 5MB, which is no use if you're uploading high quality mp3s).

The best I found after a short while was 000WebHost which offered everything I was after plus a whole host of features like visitor tracking, cPanel access, templates, mySQL etc. etc. etc.

Loads of stuff I'll never use but really useful if you're thinking of setting up a Forum on your site too. Another good thing is that it doesn't insist on sticking banner adverts on any of your pages.

The only criticism I have is that the uploads are a bit slow but maybe that's my connection.

Note that the link I've provided above is through the affilliate program but I'm not professionally attached to these guys in any way. They simply offer a good service.

Embedded mp3 player

Next task was to find an embedded mp3 player that I could easily put on my site to serve up my music. There didn't seem to be many out there that looked good and allowed playlists for free. I decided upon XSPF Player , also recommended by LarryMcG in the earlier thread.

This was a breeze to get going and the only real issue I had was a mistake I made in pointing it to the right place to find my mp3 files.

You need a very small amount of HTML knowledge to get this thing up and running and you need to make an XML-like playlist in the XSPF format but there are some great guides out there that walk you through the process.

So - after a day of messing about I have a very basic web page that streams a couple of my tunes. If you want a look go here - when I say basic, I mean basic though!

Next steps for me are to brush up on my HTML and image manipulation skills and create a full site. Can anyone recommend a good free image app that is good for web stuff?

Hopefully this will help some of you out if you decide to go down the same route,

Thanks for reading! 
post edited by hairyjamie - 2009/07/23 08:50:48

11 Replies Related Threads

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/27 13:50:31 (permalink)
    Has any tried Cakewalk Publisher? It's a flash MP3 player, that you can customize, and it comes with the various softwares from Cake.

Congrats Hairy on the site. Yes it is very simple to do your own site these days. Well, it's been simple for years. But free space can be annoying, I didn't think they had free space anywhere anymore.

Goog job on finding the free host. Although, I imagine they will try(force) you to move to the pay version eventually. Although, that is really cheap for unlimited space at $4.95. Usually, they will make you pay for two years up fron to get that rate though. At least they did with at hostmonster.

Although being on a Soundclick or Myspace type site will give you more relevancy in regards to the www. So if someone googles you, it's more likely to come up with your music.

Gimp is pretty much the defacto open source (free) image editing software that people use.  It's a lot like Photoshop, in the power. Check it out.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    hairyjamie
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/28 03:49:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Dog,

I haven't tried Cakewalk publisher but I'll have to give it a go - sounds good.

Quick update - I switched from XSPF player to http://www.flashmp3player.org/ its just more customiseable and seems to be quicker loading. No need for playlists either as it just scans a directory and plays all mp3s within it.

I've downloaded and used GIMP and I must say that it is a beauty of a free application. Its not great for web graphics though (or maybe I'm not great at using it!). I suppose its good for photo manipulation for the web but creating graphics from scratch turned out to be too tricky for me!
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/28 17:02:01 (permalink)
    I just got this notice from Reverbnation about building your own website for your band in minutes.  http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/122c31aed5648f74
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/28 17:02:07 (permalink)
    hairyjamie Quick update - I switched from XSPF player to http://www.flashmp3player.org/ its just more customiseable and seems to be quicker loading. No need for playlists either as it just scans a directory and plays all mp3s within it.

I tried the flashmp3player -- looks good on my test site but Comcast does not support PHP (a php script scans the mp3 folder) so the song list is empty.

So, make sure your provider supports PHP.   The flashmp3player info says you need PHP support but I figured that everyone(!) must have that.  I was wrong.....

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    hairyjamie
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/28 17:30:11 (permalink)
    larrymcg

hairyjamie Quick update - I switched from XSPF player to http://www.flashmp3player.org/ its just more customiseable and seems to be quicker loading. No need for playlists either as it just scans a directory and plays all mp3s within it.

I tried the flashmp3player -- looks good on my test site but Comcast does not support PHP (a php script scans the mp3 folder) so the song list is empty.

So, make sure your provider supports PHP.   The flashmp3player info says you need PHP support but I figured that everyone(!) must have that.  I was wrong.....

--Larry

Yes, I noticed that - luckily 000 supports php. Unfortunately I'm having issues with it truncating song lengths, so it doesn't play all of an uploaded mp3.

Not good! I'll have to do more testing and possibly look for another player (or go back to XSPF).

hairyjamie
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/28 17:32:02 (permalink)
    Mamabear

I just got this notice from Reverbnation about building your own website for your band in minutes.  http://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox/122c31aed5648f74

Hi Janet,

I don't think you can post a link to an email in your GoogleMail inbox as its asking me to login - would you be good enough to post the content for us all?

Thanks!
    Mamabear
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/28 17:34:07 (permalink)
    LOL. Sorry--you're probably right.  Oh my... Ok, here it is:  I hope this works.

Build a Professional Band Website in No Time.
    We are proud to introduce Site Builder, the easiest way to build a band website. Site Builder builds a website for you automatically using all your ReverbNation content, and keeps all the content in sync so you only have to enter it once. Take it for a test drive today »
    Drop-Dead Easy
    You can create a fully functioning website in 3 clicks. No need for HTML, the interface is ultra easy to use, and making changes and updates is a snap. Don't pay for an expensive web designer, Site Builder is easy enough for everyone.
    Professional Results
    We have hundreds of templates created by award winning designers, and more are added every month. Our templates are designed specifically for musicians from the ground up, so your site always looks the best. Even better, each site has built-in search engine optimization to make sure sites like Google can find your site. Your Own .COM Address
    Having your own .COM address makes your band look more professional. Site Builder makes it ultra easy to find a domain name and register that domain name, and you pay no registration fee. Want more professional email addresses? Those come with Site Builder too. Update Once
    Updating band information in multiple places is a pain, that's why Site Builder works seamlessly with your ReverbNation account so your songs and show schedules are always up to date. When you make updates on ReverbNation we update your website. Automatically.
    Learn More at ReverbNation Right Now
    Learn more about Site Builder »
    hairyjamie
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/29 05:39:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Janet - you're a sweetheart I'll have to take a look at some of the sitebuilder content to see what it looks like.

Thanks again!
    Mamabear
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/29 08:02:55 (permalink)
    Ah, shucks.  It was nothin'.   I did chuckle when I saw that in my inbox after I had read this discussion.  I haven't checked it out yet, but I may when I get time.

I'm still feel silly that I thought that link from my gmail would work.  Sheesh! LOL
    hairyjamie
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/29 08:41:22 (permalink)
    Ha ha, easy mistake to make

I have a few friends who work in Tech support - they've told me stories that would make you feel like a computer expert!
    Mamabear
    Re:Free hosting / Streaming your own music 2009/07/29 08:43:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've heard a few of those.  LOL  I know the basics, but am glad I can call on experts when I need 'em. :-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1