Free online Tax Preparation?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2009/01/28 19:20:12 (permalink)

Free online Tax Preparation?

Hi-

I've used TurboTax for the past few years, but does anyone have experience with eg, TaxAct or the free IRS online software? My return is very simple.

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

8 Replies Related Threads

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/28 21:34:42 (permalink)
    Hey my return is very simple too post election. I just have to send in everything I have. Don't matter how much I made.

Actually, I work in the stock market, make a fair bit of trades (not a day trader) and invest in limited partnerships. I went to college off and on for 14 years. Got two degrees and enough other stuff to be the master of nothing, but dangerous in many things. I am an expert at statistics, advanced mathematics (through differential equations), decent at quantum and relativistic physics.

I have no idea how to do taxes.

What I do know is this. Every tax form has this thing printed on it about the paperwork reduction act. Yet the amount of paperwork has gone up, not down, for me over time.

I want to kill whoever coined that phrase.

And I want a handout too. Just $50MM. Not any significant part of Big O's trillion spending on whatever that is. Just $50 MM.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/28 22:01:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G
    I've used TurboTax for the past few years, but does anyone have experience with eg, TaxAct or the free IRS online software? My return is very simple.

My Accountant says it fine if you don't have a lot of deductions, or complicated income. She also said that Turbo Tax is good at finding new deductions, warning you on red flag tiems, and does a good final audit for mistakes;where as the IRS online will not offer that kind of assistance.
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/28 22:54:55 (permalink)
    If you go to irs.gov, they have plenty of suggestions. This year (and last) I used esmarttax.com, but there are plenty. Usually it's free to file federally and 9.95 to file for state. I don't know any that let you file both for free. But, from the irs.gov site, they ask you if you are ready to transfer from their official site, and only offer trusted sites, at least in my experience...

(ps...Hi Susan, how are you?)
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/29 03:54:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I just have to send in everything I have. Don't matter how much I made.

Let me see, a little bit of ironic exaggeration to emphasise a right wing bias...not familiar with US politics but I get the feeling you'd be wearing a blue rosette here come election time...I'm not saying anything here, I'm just noticin'

Susan

I don't know about the US tax set-up but the UK equivalent of the free IRS site is very simple and efficient if your return is straightforward.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/29 03:59:20

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/29 05:55:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I just have to send in everything I have. Don't matter how much I made.

Let me see, a little bit of ironic exaggeration to emphasise a right wing bias...not familiar with US politics but I get the feeling you'd be wearing a blue rosette here come election time...I'm not saying anything here, I'm just noticin'

Susan

I don't know about the US tax set-up but the UK equivalent of the free IRS site is very simple and efficient if your return is straightforward.

Yup, Im just doing my partners and mine online in the UK today, we have both done it online in the UK since 2002, and its a breeze. We both have some rental property income figures to put in, but they dont need the paperwork, just the figures. Our IRS tax portal(Inland Revenue in the UK) even calculates it for you as you go, so when you finally press the "Submit" instruction, there is no nasty surprise heading your way - Neat
    Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/29 15:20:42 (permalink)
    Hi-

Thanks, all! I gather that filing online is [relatively] safe. It feels a little weird, but I'll get over it.

@jinga8: I'll check out esmarttax.com, don't think I'd heard of them before. I expect to pay some extra for state, so that's not a problem. P.S. I'm fine, how are you?

Thanks again-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/31 16:22:08 (permalink)
    Hey my return is very simple too post election. I just have to send in everything I have. Don't matter how much I made.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

No politics, Space!

Love ya (I genuinely do); you are one of my favorite forum members, and are a really clever and funny individual (and you turned me on to Benny Lava, for which I will be forever in your debt), but,

No Politics in my beloved forum!

Much appreciated,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Free online Tax Preparation? 2009/01/31 17:25:21 (permalink)
    I use Turbo tax...but they keep jacking their software prices so I'm trying H&R's software this year.....

I hate this time of year...seeing all the money I send to the govt...for them to waste it like they do.....on stupid stuff.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1